Going to relax my hair with the help of my SO doing the back any advice?

Lilmama1011

This is my second attempt because I relaxed my hair a couple of years ago myself and was so scared to keep it in so long I took it out earlier than I was suppose to but it came out ok. Now going to relax myself because I'm not in the right position to be spending money when I just moved to another state and am not on my feet as of yet. And to be honest I think with me and my SO other it will be put in much quickly and relaxing seems simple. I usually use mizani for sensitive but I don't see it around here so looking at optimum or dark and lovely. With one you think I should choose. And I was going to apply Vaseline to my previously relaxed hair and on my ears and around my edges and use a brush with the rat tail end and part and only apply to new growth(it will be parted in four ,two in the front for me and two in the back for my SO). And after applied smooth it through and have an alarm set for the appropriate timing for my hair. I usually relax at 10 weeks but trying to stretch longer because I feel it will be a breeze because I just learned my hair has little to no breakage when damp when I have new growth and shouldn't be bothered when dry or super wet unless to moisturize and seal. S I do a lot of flexi rod twist which means I twist four parts and out flexi rods at the end take it out and separate and last two days and the third say I sprigs with my Shea moisture mist and water mix just to get it a little damp moisturize and seal and have only like three hairs come out! Knock on wood because I don't want to sound to high in the clouds and something goes wrong long. But I'm asking did I leave anything out for the relaxing process I won't to know ahead of time. I said I was thinking stretching until 20 weeks which I have never done that and my SO other like heck no! But it depends on how it goes. Or who knows I might do 12 weeks idk...

I use Dark and Lovely. The last time I relaxed I put in some safflower oil. Knowing that it would slow it down helped me relax and not feel like I had to rush. I put it on, and smoothed and everything and I still had 3 mins to spare. It came out sooooooo good! I've done my hair a million times but that last time was the best it ever came out.

Lilmama1011 - I haven't used those brands, so I have no opinions there. Re your process, ITA to add oil to your relaxer. Also, add a protein treatment midstep. I've added this step 3 appts ago and it has definitely strengthened my hair. Right now, I'm using Nutress protein but I've also had great results with Redken Fuel. Good luck!

I agree with your relaxer prep too you should be fine. I have added olive oil to my relaxers and had no issues and my hair was protected. However this part is just me lye relaxers are better for your hair. They dont encourage the drying effect and imo they straighten better. Now idk where you live but Design Essentials, Affirm, Lady Velvet, Design are some other choices you may find that are lye and gentle on the scalp. Hth and be sure to post results!

I use Optimum with great results when visiting my stylist. I know AlliCat used to have amazing results with the same relaxer and she used to have her relaxers done at home.

I've used Optimum. I tried their bodifying relaxer and the regular relaxers. I found for my hair that they made my hair feel thicker to me, but it was also coarser and not as straight. Which is why I switched to ORS. ORS always got my hair super straight and silky.

I've used Optimum. I tried their bodifying relaxer and the regular relaxers. I found for my hair that they made my hair feel thicker to me, but it was also coarser and not as straight. Which is why I switched to ORS. ORS always got my hair super straight and silky.
Do you smooth your new growth with a fine tooth comb, leona2025?

@Aireen I never have. I employ the finger method:lachen:. I put my relaxer on and smooth with my fingers. This works well for me.
Ah okay that's why. My stylist makes sure to comb the relaxer through numerous times because it's supposed to be "more gentle". I was just trying to make sense of why your hair wasn't coming out straight and mine was.

KaramelDiva1978 said:
I agree with your relaxer prep too you should be fine. I have added olive oil to my relaxers and had no issues and my hair was protected. However this part is just me lye relaxers are better for your hair. They dont encourage the drying effect and imo they straighten better. Now idk where you live but Design Essentials, Affirm, Lady Velvet, Design are some other choices you may find that are lye and gentle on the scalp. Hth and be sure to post results!

I seriously was looking for lye and all I see is no lye relaxers will check Sally's

leona2025 said:

Ok, considering ors....

ORS Olive oil didnt phase me or my daughters hair. CON relaxer with the safflower oil was really good. Ive used it before I got on my lye kick. I love the CON poo and condish w/argan oil too. If I couldnt find a good lye relaxer I would try the their argan oil relaxer. Be sure to read some reviews too, esp on ORS Ive heard more who it didnt work for than those it did.

Ah okay that's why. My stylist makes sure to comb the relaxer through numerous times because it's supposed to be "more gentle". I was just trying to make sense of why your hair wasn't coming out straight and mine was.

I always apply like that. I never had a issue with it before and I meant the bodifying conditioner didn't straighten my hair as much not the regular one. I think the bodifying one is meant to leave more texture in. I was expecting big volume, lol.

ORS Olive oil didnt phase me or my daughters hair. CON relaxer with the safflower oil was really good. Ive used it before I got on my lye kick. I love the CON poo and condish w/argan oil too. If I couldnt find a good lye relaxer I would try the their argan oil relaxer. Be sure to read some reviews too, esp on ORS Ive heard more who it didnt work for than those it did.

I love CON shampoos too :lick:. Maybe I should try their relaxer. I may go back to the bodifying relaxer tho. At the time I was using it I wanted bone straight hair, but since I like to texlax now that wouldn't be a issue. Lye relaxers burn the heck out of me.

Back