Good Christian = no nice things?

phynestone

I ask this question b/c many have told me that in order to be a good servant of the Lord, one should not have nice possessions? But how do you know if these "things" aren't blessings from Him or stuff that's unnecessary? Can one still be a humble, loyal servant while accumulating nice things?

webby

Think Slim
I used to feel guilt about having "nice" things, which is relative, BTW. I realized what others pointed out, in a recent thread about pastors and wealth, that God blesses us and we should be appreciative of those blessings.

It's when we put "things" before Him that it becomes a problem. (running to look for scripture to support this).

webby

Think Slim
I dug up some scriptures. I hope these make sense:

Let them shout for joy and be glad, who favor my righteous cause; and let them say continually, "Let the Lord be magnified, who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant." (Psalm 35:27)

"If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasure." ( Job 36:11)

"Therefore keep the words of this covenant, and do them, that you may prosper in all that you do." (Deuteronomy 29:9)

"... Here me, O Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem: believe in the Lord your God and you shall be established; believe His prophets, and you shall prosper." (2 Chronicles 20:20)

"The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty, but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty." (Proverbs 21:5)

"He who deals with a slack hand becomes poor, but the hand of the diligent makes one rich." (Proverbs 10:4)

"A faithful man will abound with blessings, but he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished." (Proverbs 28:20)

tweezer6

webby said:
I dug up some scriptures. I hope these make sense:

Let them shout for joy and be glad, who favor my righteous cause; and let them say continually, "Let the Lord be magnified, who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant." (Psalm 35:27)

"If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasure." ( Job 36:11)

"Therefore keep the words of this covenant, and do them, that you may prosper in all that you do." (Deuteronomy 29:9)

"... Here me, O Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem: believe in the Lord your God and you shall be established; believe His prophets, and you shall prosper." (2 Chronicles 20:20)

"The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty, but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty." (Proverbs 21:5)

"He who deals with a slack hand becomes poor, but the hand of the diligent makes one rich." (Proverbs 10:4)

"A faithful man will abound with blessings, but he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished." (Proverbs 28:20)

What Webby said!
Seek first the Kingdom of God and ALL OF THESE THINGS will be added unto you...

MeccaMedinah

webby said:
I realized... that God blesses us and we should be appreciative of those blessings.

It's when we put "things" before Him that it becomes a problem. (running to look for scripture to support this).

You got that right. :up: