Got my hair trimmed....

Tonya

Well it was supposed to be a trim but it ended up to be a cut!!
I am so distraught. i had finally decided against cutting my hair in a bob and that is exactly what I cam out with...a bob with a shag in the back. The lady I went to was very scissor happy when I got out of her chair the sides of my hair no longer even touched my shoulders and the back either except for a little part in the back that resembles a chag Ia m thinking of cutting that off as well. I have been very depressed because I had finally accumulated a little length but oh well back to the drawing board. It has been some weeks since my last touch up so I got a touch up as well. My hair is very bouucy and shiny and it even looks thicker with the majority of those damaged ends gone so I guess it was a good thing. I would say I lost about a good 3 inches. Well here I go....guess I will go take my vitamins....

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am sooooooooo sorry. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Don't you hate that? I believe this is part of the reason why black women can't achieve length--because of scissor happy hair stylists. I know as a little girl, I wanted long hair but I remember every time it was getting longer, some scissor happy stylist would take off INCHES, girl. We are all going to have to learn how to give ourselves a good trim. I have one girlfriend who has been doing so for a while and she admits that her hair is very uneven but it is SUPER long too. And when she wears it down, you can't tell that it's uneven, because it's some sort of style with lots of curls in the end.

Anyway, said all that to say--I'm sorry. I have learned to speak up and let people know that I am trying to keep and grow my hair and not to take off alot. They get 1 chance to mess it up and then I'm gone. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tracy

My heart bleeds for you Tonya. Really. This situation has been the BANE of my hair growing experience. Last year this time my hair was exactly the length it is now. Maybe a half inch shorter. It was a few inches past my shoulders in the back and healthy. I complained of some slight thinning while my stylist was relaxing me and when she "trimmed" me she took of 4 inches. Felt like 5 in some places. I didn't realize what she was doing until she blew it out. My hair was to my chin in the front. Just touching the top of my neck in the back. I bawled. My boyfriend thought I was some kind of freak......

I have never let her cut my hair since. What I did was trim my own hair (or let my Mom do it) for a whole year and THEN JUST THIS WEEKEND went and got a trim froma stylist I KNEW FOR SURE would give me a trim and not a cut. I spent the year finding the perfect person to do it. I rememebred how well she performed this particular service and when I got my realxer to start the year this Friday I used her. She barely dusted my ends - but gave it great shape nonetheless. The amount of the hair cut last year left me comfortable doing makeshift trims all year because I had already lost 4 inches - so I knew I didn't have any splits or unhealthy ends to be concerned about. That is the only upside. And that my hair seemed thicker for a few months when she first cut it.

Try to look on the bright side of it and this year either trim yourself or have a trusted friend take of ONLY a 1/8 inch every 3-4 months. Then at the end of the year find someone you REALLY trust to give you a real trim. Your length will come back tho. Mine did. Another upside is you took off some of that color that you wanted gone.

pebbles

Hi Tonya,

Cheer up sweetie. I think all of us have been victimized by some hairdresser who just doesn't understand that a trim is not a cut! /images/graemlins/mad.gif It's upsetting. I'd be distraught too. The good thing is that you have no damaged ends to deal with, and come hell or high water, it will grow back! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ennyaa

((((HUG))))

I'm SO sorry to hear about this Tonya and really pissed off for you as well. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I mean why do they DO that?!! I just don't get it.

I'm scheduled to get a trim in Feb when I get my texturizer but honestly I'm really nervous about it. And I LOVE my hairdresser but I'm still scared. I plan on telling her that if she can't cut 1/4" or less then not to trim it at all. *sigh* My hair is FINALLY just touching my shoulders in the back and it took so much patience and work to get there and keep it healthy that I'd be so distraught if I suddently lost 3 inches. Anyway I feel your pain and keep up those vitamins girl! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MissM

/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'm so sad for you! What the heck is going on with these hairdressers who don't know the difference between a trim and a haircut?

I'm really nervous about going to get a trim this coming Friday. I'm going to a new hairdresser, and I know I said I would never go to another stylist but I would like to start getting my roller sets done again. Sitting under my bonnet dryer for an hour and a half is just not an option. I have not had an official trim since April but I'm caving because from me dusting it it doesn't have that 'clean' edge to it that I like, the ends look spiky. But I also don't want to take the chance of being traumatized by a trim right before my wedding in March. I would rather have it cleaned up now and still have time to grow before then. I'm hoping that I don't offend her by being really specific about what I want cut off. This lady has long hair herself so I'm hoping she'll understand. I would go back to my old guy, but after he charged me $60 for bangs and then layers that I didn't ask for that also is not an option. That was his third strike.

Did you show this person or specify what you wanted taken off? Or, like the rest of us have done, you figured you would be getting just a trim not a cut?

Tonya

Thanks ladies...I have been keepoing my hair wrapped up nd last night I wore loose curls to hide it...my man friend has not seen me and I am a little scared becuase he likes long hair as much as I do...
MissM
The lady was my cousins stylists. I told her I was trying to grow my hair out and I wanted a trim...not a cut a trim. Mybhair is broken off in the back on 1 side it was liek 4 unches shorter than the rest she said I have to be careful not to cut the rest of your hair this length I said YES PLEASE DO NOT CUT THAT MUCH OF MY HAIR IT IS NOT THAT DAMAGED. I ONLY HAD BAD ENDS IN THE BACK...the frint was stringy but not the back...you guys can see the pics in my album:-(
But when she got done and I saw my hair I wanted to cry all I could think was...all that hard work down the drain she was liek you looks so pretty... the style is cute but I did not want my hair this short!!!!!
From now on my mom will be trimmung my ends...I am contemplating cuting this little "shag" of in the back...My hair still touches the back but the front and back looks like a laytered bob.,..resembles... Malinda Williams in Black Hair Sophisticates.
That is how I would have wanted my hair IF I wanted a cut. Atleast my poerm came out good. My hair is very shiny and bouncy. Looks healthy. My colorshines has rinsed out already and I just have a tad of color left on my endsa.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I'm so sorry! I guess this is the #2 complaint against hairstylists... Especially after you told her in no uncertain terms that you are growing your hair!
A trim is not 3"! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chasney01

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I understand your pain completely. A few years ago I had an experience similar to yours and it was around that time that I stopped getting trims at the shop. Now I have my mom trim my hair because I know she will never cut too much. Maybe a trusted family member or friend could trim your hair for you. Just an idea... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Tonya I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I know how hard you've worked to get your hair to where it was too. It really hurts when something like this happens. Your trust was violated. I can definitely relate to your experience as well as a lot of women on this board. <<BIG HUG>>

Your hair grows very fast and you will have the hair back in no time. Please do not be depressed. It will grow back soon and you will achieve your goal.

Lil English

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif awww dun worry...id trim it mah self..as i do im 14 n learnt how to do my own from trial n error i jus cut what I want cuttin thats the bet way to do it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LondonDiva

Tonya I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm trying to imagine how'd I'd feel if 3 inches was gone from my hair right now at the hands of some foolish scissor happy stylist.

I doubt very well that 3 inches of your hair was damaged and needed cutting off. That is not a trim. I'm looking at my ruler and 3 inches is a big old hefty CUT. Please do let your mother do your trims in future for you.

Keep your head up girl and persevere, cause you know that those inches will be back in time.

G

Ahhhhhh Tonya. /images/graemlins/frown.gif So sorry to hear this.

But, I'm glad to hear that it does look healthier! That's always good news!

Eyvonne7131

Hi Tonya,

You have to stay positive...I do not know what condition your hair was in before you saw her, but I am a firm believer that you will not achieve healthy long hair unless you get rid of the rotten ends...you may have thought your hair did not need to be trimmed that much, but perhaps it really did.

I know you are still in a bit of shock but atleast you have those rotten ends off and from the way you described your hair state now you have healthy hair on your head. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

babyblue

Sorry to hear what happened. I've been there before, had past shoulder lenght hair as a teen chopped down to the bottom of my neck by a scissor happy stylist! But try to make the best of the situation and start over from this point with fresh undamaged hair that will be long and thick in no time /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rayne

Tonya,

I'm so sorry that happened to you. If you want me to, I'll drive down there and give that woman a good beat down. Just say the word /images/graemlins/grin.gif But on the bright side, you have a cute new look for the New Year and you'll be starting your hair journey over with healthy hair /images/graemlins/cool.gif

daviine

Hey rayne...slow down.....wait til after the baby is born before you start issung those beatdowns!!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man, I hope folks know not to mess with you and yours!!!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sweetcocoa

Since you know what to do with your hair now...it should grow back in no time at all(and alot healthier). You would have gotten rid of the damaged ends eventually. Look at it as a 'jump start' to healthier and thick hair.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I agree with everyone here -- it's okay Tonya! The best thing about hair is that it grows back! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tonya

Thank you for all of your support ladies. I feel alot better about my hair it looks so full and bouncy now. I will post pics of my new length soon. Tahnks again fro all your your support. I finally feel alot better!

MissM

Tonya girl, now you have me wondering if I should cancel my appointment Friday and call up my old hairdresser and go sit in his shop for 4 hours for a wash and trim! And you specifically told this lady what you wanted. Now I know I'm going to watch in the mirror what she is doing on Friday.

uniquev11

Tonya,

I am sorry to hear about your trim that turned into a cut.
Your beautician really should have shown you exactly what she planned to do first.

A trim means something completely different to a beautician than it does to us.
I asked my friends beautician once how she knew how much she should trim and she showed me where my friends ends were thinning which was about an inch or two of hair.
She said that she was going to trim above all of the thinning ends.
So I'm always wary of asking a beautician to trim ends without them showing me where they would cut.
To them, if a person asks for a trim, but the bottom 4 inches of their hair are thin, the beautician will "trim" 4 inches while the person was thinking about an inch or so.

azul11

that to me is scary. i guess nowadays you have to spell it out draw diagrams bring out charts and stuff for them to do your hair correctly. i NEED a trim badly because the ends of my hair arent behaving and i see split ends but i am weary of going in and having them hack off my hair. i'd rather do a gradual plan than just to have have cut across a whole bunch of inches. geeezzz that scared me right there. that happened to me at a salon where the lady didnt speak much english my friend translated trim to her but maybe in the translation she heard cut because i had hair that was like an inch past my shoulder to hair that was chin length. i cried for days. i wanted to fight. my friends tried to tell me it was a cute look and my hair would grow out but by then i was already through. thats when i started looking into natural haircare remedies like rosemary oil and jojoba. i have had so many setbacks but my hair comes back. this ends business is unnerving me but i know its better to trim now then to have to cut later. God bless you all.

Kiadodie

Girl, that just happened to me 3-4 weeks ago. My stylist got scissor happy and cut it will all these layers. I HATED IT. I cut 3 inches more off so it'll grow out. It's a process /images/graemlins/mad.gif