Had to start a new thread: CASTOR OIL IS THE TRUTH!!!

chayil0427

OMG...a few days ago I started the Who is Still Crunk for Castor Oil thread cause I was thinking about trying it.

Well yesterday I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up some Cold Pressed Cold Processed Castor Oil.

I washed and dried my hair with my usual products, and slathered on the castor oil.

I put on my bonnet and went to sleep.

Middle of the night I woke up and ripped off my bonnet to feel my hair and OMG...it felt like buttered silk. My hair has NEVER EVER been this moist and felt so silky. Even my nape which I had been so dry and brittle from sleeping without covered hair and being over processed (a huge no no) was moist and smooth as silk.

I was skeptical about an oil making your hair look and feel moist, but whatever Castor Oils got its moisturization powers are the truth.

I will never look for another oil. I LOVE CASTOR OIL!

Chayil

gymfreak336

chayil0427 said:
OMG...a few days ago I started the Who is Still Crunk for Castor Oil thread cause I was thinking about trying it.

Well yesterday I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up some Cold Pressed Cold Processed Castor Oil.

I washed and dried my hair with my usual products, and slathered on the castor oil.

Middle of the night I woke up and ripped off my bonnet to feel my hair and OMG...it felt like buttered silk. My hair has NEVER EVER been this moist and felt so silky. Even my nape which I had been so dry and brittle from sleeping without covered hair and being over processed (a huge no no) was moist and smooth as silk.

I was skeptical about an oil making your hair look and feel moist, but whatever Castor Oils got its moisturization powers are the truth.

Chayil

Now why did you have to say that. Now I GOTTA stop by earthfare tonight to get me some.

alexstin

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

Love it! I don't know why I ever stopped.:ohwell:

LaNecia

I had to come in cause I used some Castor Oil for the first time the other day in over a year...:love:

I also have a bit of news for those who may not have thought of it...depending on your plan, Castor Oil is FSA reimbursable!!

HHG!

Dearlove

Totally co-signing! I mix it with some shea butter oil and apply nightly. I add a touch to my daughter's ends when flatironed and her hair is like butta!

stargazer613

cosigning on the softness! i sometimes mix a little bit with conditioner when I'm deep conditioning or just mix some in a bottle with other oils.

The Palma Christi brand is goood! not as thick as some of the others I've tried.

Last edited:

Brees_hair

Castor Oil is the truth..I just started using the Jamaican Black and I dont know how I've managed without it all these years. It makes my thick hair soft and manageable without being too oily or drying up overnight. Since I have braids, I dilute it with water in a braid spray bottle and spray thoroughly twice a day, not to mention I use the oil straight every other day to oil my scalp. I also have used it as a hot oil treatment..very soothing for my dry scalp especially during the winter months. I know..I overdose..but I cant help it, it's wonderful!!!:grin: :grin: :grin:

Lissa0821

I have to agree, I just started using it the other day and my hair is so soft and smooth. I think my coconut oil has some competition now for covering the ends of my hair. Plus, I am going to stop using honey in my prepoos becasue it is making my hair redder than I would like it. The castor oil is a great replacement option offering the same softness and shine. :grin:

thiccknlong

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

I'm wondering if it's castor oil or just oil itself that's given you such magnificent results....Have you ever did the same with any other oil ? .... Did you oil your entire head, meaning it got on your scalp ? (is getting oil on the scalp a problem ? I don't know, what's your take ? )

SSBD

well can somebody tell me what i am doing wrong. because everytime i use it its to stickey on my hair and to heavy and i have to go wash it out...so how do u ladies apply it

darkempress

SSBD said:
well can somebody tell me what i am doing wrong. because everytime i use it its to stickey on my hair and to heavy and i have to go wash it out...so how do u ladies apply it

ARE YOU USING ALOT? B/C USUALLY A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. I USE IT TO SEAL MY ENDS AND TO SMOOTH MY SIDES OUT. WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO USE IT I HAD THIS PROBLEM, BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE I WAS USING TOO MUCH, I GOT A LITTLE TO EXCITED. BUT I SOON REALIZED THAT YOU DONT NEED A WHOLE LOT OF IT, ONCE YOUR USING IT VERY FREQUENTLY.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
stargazer613 said:
cosigning on the softness! i sometimes mix a little bit with conditioner when I'm deep conditioning or just mix some in a bottle with other oils.

The Palma Christi brand is goood! not as thick as some of the others I've tried.

It sure is! I picked up a bottle of this while visiting Miami over the past weekend. Second only to the Tropical Isle brand, it is very close in quality to the JBCO I had made for me while I was JA last year IMO. The price wasn't bad either - $3.99 for 4oz.

toniy

I am also a castor oil groupie.I use it on my scalp, ends, cuts, burns, feet. I get it from the local pharmacy because it is not available in the stores here.

From what I have read, castor oil is good for many other things.. These properties could be the reason why it works so well for many.

This from WiKipedia

Cold pressed Castor oil has been used or time-tested for centuries throughout the world for its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties long before any government agency was created to regulate medicines.
Medicinal Castor oil was used for skin problems, burns, sunburns, skin disorders, skin cuts, abrasions, etc.
The oil is also used as a rub or pack for various ailments, including abdominal complaints, headaches, muscle pains, inflammatory conditions, skin eruptions, lesions, and sinusitis. A castor oil pack is made by soaking a piece of flannel in castor oil, then putting it on the area of complaint and placing a heat source, such as a hot water bottle, on top of it.

OTHER SOURCES
---Medicinal Action and Uses---Castor Oil is regarded as one of the most valuable laxatives in medicine. It is of special service in temporary constipation and wherever a mild action is essential, and is extremely useful for children and the aged. It is used in cases of colic and acute diarrhoea due to slow digestion, but must not be employed in cases of chronic constipation, which it only aggravates whilst relieving the symptoms. It acts in about five hours, affecting the entire length of the bowel, but not increasing the flow of bile, except in very large doses. The mode of its action is unknown. The oil will purge when rubbed into the skin, or injected. It is also used for expelling worms, after other special remedies have been administered.

Guapa1

I've just bought it tooand it's fantastic. I've put a few drops of rosemary oil in it and use it most nights on my hairline and ends.

adw425

I add it to my moisture mixture (several moisturing conditioner I have in a two quart container). I also mix with thinner oils (like hempseed) because it is so thick. It works out just great because my hair doesn't do that well with thinner oils, but the castor oil is too thick to slather on my hair by itself, so it really does work out well.

ToyToy

I love castor oil as well! I used it yesterday mixed with my conditioner, and even though I only left it on for 5 minutes, my hair was so soft and detangled! This is going to remain my staple!!

Nice & Wavy

I just found out that Sam's Caribbeen Marketplace is 2 minutes from my job. They sell the Tropical Isle Castor Oil. Well, well, well....I'm going to have to go there and pick some up. So nice to know I don't have to pay any shipping and handling for it!!!

EDITED: Well, they are out of stock right now. Oh well...will wait until they get more!

Last edited:

chayil0427

SSBD said:

I just use it straight up! It was sticky at first, but I just put my bonnet on and went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with a mane of silk. Use enough to coat your strands, then tie your hair up and let it soak in over night. Next morning no stickiness and buttery soft hair. =).

Chayil

Sweetcoco82

See now i am going to have to go out and get some of this. I want to try it on my hair. I love sweet almond oil. My hair always feel silky with that. I may have to try and 50/50 mix of almond and castor oil. I wonder how it would work on my daughter hair for cornrows or braids. It would be kinda sticky at first to hold her hair together while wet, but then as it dries it would be nice and soft. I have to use something kinda heavy on her hair to keep it from frizzing up badly.

KrystalClear

Chayil

IT IS! I've been having some in my cabinet for a while now (I bought it, and didn't really know how to apply it, lol I KNOW I KNOW) so it just sat there. I happened to FIND it yesterday... I think it was a blessing from GOD, because I used it yesterday to seal my ends. THEY ARE SO SOFT. Now I'm using it for a prepoo and I can't help but to touch my hair because it is SO SOFT and like you say, buttery silk! MY HAIR NEVER GETS SOFT LIKE THIS... If this works tomorrow, I have found my new LOVE. A must have for people with dry hair issues. If you dont like the thickness, thin it with oils or water. I just wet my hair with my spritz and applied it!

chebaby

i am going back to using jbco for the winter. i will add it in conditioners and use it at night on my braids when i know im gonna do a braid out. i hope it thickens my hair.