Hair bonding - help! My friend is going to ruin her hair!

lana

My girlfriend has just recently started using glue to put two tracks in her head. She has short, relaxed (sides only) hair, with natural hair at the top. Now her hair is thinning (prior to the glue)...NOW she's talking about letting her stylist do bonding! :wallbash: She says that she doesn't believe the hype about bonding pulling out or ruining your hair.

She's already at a point where her hair is thinning (due to age, relaxers, styling) now she's about to further damage her hair.

She wanted a sew-in but it doesn't make sense to do that cause she wants a short pixie cut.

Please list what you know about bonding and why she shouldn't do it! She's asked me for help. But I can't find any information on it.

kittenz

ALOPECIA!!! My mom developed alopecia shortly after she started gluing in tracks. It isn't proven that it was the cause and I haven't done any serious research but I KNOW the glue was the culprit. It's been years and her hair has yet to grow back. Please stop your friend!!:nono:

jaiku

Unfortunately, I think your friend is about to learn a lesson the hard way. I knew a girl back in college who had her hair bonded. She ended up rocking a fade after that experience. She was lucky she had the head for the fade.

InnerSoul

I personally don't know why they keep that "glue bond" on the market.. it is obvious that it causes hair/scalp destruction.. especially if its not applied correctly:perplexed

lana

I decided not to keep trying to warn her. She basically thinks everyone is against her. Well so be it! I tried to warn her. She will be "rocking a fade" as someone said above. Thanks guys for responding so quickly.

sareca

Unfortunately, I think your friend is about to learn a lesson the hard way. I knew a girl back in college who had her hair bonded. She ended up rocking a fade after that experience. She was lucky she had the head for the fade.

ITA. She'll see it's a bad idea, hopefully before she has an permanent damage.

Luvmylife

I decided not to keep trying to warn her. She basically thinks everyone is against her. Well so be it! I tried to warn her. She will be "rocking a fade" as someone said above. Thanks guys for responding so quickly.

She'll learn after she tries to pull that first track and half her hair is still attached...that's what did it for me:look:

blazingthru

The back of my head was sore and broke out for years and years. It never healed properly until I went natural no more problems with that area. I only bonded my hair twice. First time was 1992 and the second was 2000. I did those caps and they said you glue it to your head and wear it like that. It was horrible I rather be bald then do that again. Plus it hurt, my head always hurt me. No I will never put glue in my hair again never. I hope your friend wakes up before she does it. How people work with that stuff is beyond me its so painful. Pat your weave ladies - comes to mind. Crap hurts and itches all the time. No thanks

hothair

quickest way to show her put some glue on her arm (or wherever there' s some hair) let it dry then peel it off:grin:

braidqueen

I've never had a strand fall out from using glue in areas where I needed to thicken. Thats because I used the glue remover and the remover shampoo after. All the tracks fell out and I combed the rest of the glue out with no hair attached. I this was on my scalp not a cap.

LongLeggedLife

I have never had a problem with bonding glue. I figured as long as you oil it down really well & use the proper remover, itll be fine.
Imo, its more in treating it roughly & ripping it out during takedown that causes more damage than the glue itself.
Of course I have only done this on special occasions, maybe for one week, not as a long term style option.
I do use it for my false lashes as well..no prob.