Hair Care on a budget

trinidarkie1

I have to do some hair care on a budget for my gf.
She finally showed me her hair and it looks EATEN up.
The middle is chopped up and the sides, her edges in front have receded a bit.
SHe's planning on growing out for a bit. ANd says that her loss of hair is attributed to high levels of stress.

I want to put together a care package for her hair, but I too dont want to spend too much money right now.

I was thinking of starting off with
Clarifying then Porosity Control.
Deep Condition and Protein (which should I do first)
Then apply some MTG mix to the scalp and put her hair in braids, and keep doing that every 4 weeks.
She works every day and with her schedule and mine, I wont be able to do it every weekend and she WONT have time to do it every weekend.

Is there any thing that you can use the clean the scalp between extended periods of not washing like that?
I have a friend who uses SeaBreeze to clean her scalp.. good or bad?

You are a wonderful friend to help your girl out with her hair. I know when I wore braids I used a Braid Shampoo that allowed me to clean hair without water and just use a towel to wipe the excess and it left a nice smell. By Organic Root Stimulator "Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo". I've heard of people using the Sea breeze for eliminating the bumps from tight braids but I'm not too sure. I would start off with a protein treatment for your friend to strengthen her hair, especially before the braids. Sounds like you've got a good plan for her but I'm sure someone else can chime in with more suggestions. Take care.

trinidarkie1 said:
I have to do some hair care on a budget for my gf.
She finally showed me her hair and it looks EATEN up.
The middle is chopped up and the sides, her edges in front have receded a bit.
SHe's planning on growing out for a bit. ANd says that her loss of hair is attributed to high levels of stress.

I want to put together a care package for her hair, but I too dont want to spend too much money right now.

I was thinking of starting off with
Clarifying then Porosity Control.
Deep Condition and Protein (which should I do first) What type of protein, conditioner or treatment? I usually like protein first, to strengthen.
Then apply some MTG mix to the scalp and put her hair in braids, and keep doing that every 4 weeks.
She works every day and with her schedule and mine, I wont be able to do it every weekend and she WONT have time to do it every weekend.

Is there any thing that you can use the clean the scalp between extended periods of not washing like that?
I have a friend who uses SeaBreeze to clean her scalp.. good or bad? I've personally used it, but was too afraid of drying, so I switched to Witch Hazel, which is a little more gentle (and cheaper). Either way, I always followed with oiling and had no bad effects. Many people use it as a scalp clarifier.

I like your plan. Sweet,simple, low manipulation and nourishing.

If you want a total line, Id recommend Elasta Qp, Design essentials or ORS line. They have healthy hair packages that have all these products... I personally recommend the ORS line, Ive seen people have really good results with this linve. But if you want individual products that can be purchased at a drugstore then Id recommend;

Clarifying then Porosity Control. Honestly, any inexpensive clarifying would do. I dont know to much about Porosity Control but if shes on a budget, Id spend more money on the deep con and protein and hold off on the porosity control (but thats just me).
Deep Condition and Protein (which should I do first) DO the protein first and follow with deep condition OR to save time, put the protein on her dry hair with hot steaming towel for 15 minutes, shampoo and cond while in the shower. This saved me loads of time. For the CHEAPEST protein, just use real (not helmans) mayonnaise or egg and olive oil as a prepoo. For cheap store protein, Id recommend ION reconstructor (sistaslick uses this, i think) or ORS Mayo (kinda pricey, but worth it). The ORS MAyo and replenishing pak are really good. The ORS temple balm will fill out her temples and receding hairline. For conditioner, Dominican conditioner are inexpensive and good. Sallys has generic humectress which is pretty cheap and CON has a nourishing conditioner thats very good.

Try to encourage her to wash every four days and air dry overnight in twists, braidouts or a bun. Or she can wet wrap and use Caruso rollers (cheap) to get waves. She can wear her hair up in a wavy bun or twist. If her hair is damaged, it will def help if she conditions it as frequently as possible and wears it up a lot.

If im not mistaken, Seabreeze has alchohol in it so Id say no.

Dont forget a good leave in, oil and moisturizer. NTM makes a good moisturizing leave in and Salerm makes a good protein leave-in. For oil, you can use what you get at the store, olive oil or jojoba. And for moisture, Id use ORS olive or carrot oil or Profective healthy ends. All cheap!

Just my two cents:p

macherieamour said:
If you want a total line, Id recommend Elasta Qp, Design essentials or ORS line. They have healthy hair packages that have all these products... I personally recommend the ORS line, Ive seen people have really good results with this linve. But if you want individual products that can be purchased at a drugstore then Id recommend;

Clarifying then Porosity Control. Honestly, any inexpensive clarifying would do. I dont know to much about Porosity Control but if shes on a budget, Id spend more money on the deep con and protein and hold off on the porosity control (but thats just me).
Deep Condition and Protein (which should I do first) DO the protein first and follow with deep condition OR to save time, put the protein on her dry hair with hot steaming towel for 15 minutes, shampoo and cond while in the shower. This saved me loads of time. For the CHEAPEST protein, just use real (not helmans) mayonnaise or egg and olive oil as a prepoo. For cheap store protein, Id recommend ION reconstructor (sistaslick uses this, i think) or ORS Mayo (kinda pricey, but worth it). The ORS MAyo and replenishing pak are really good. The ORS temple balm will fill out her temples and receding hairline. For conditioner, Dominican conditioner are inexpensive and good. Sallys has generic humectress which is pretty cheap and CON has a nourishing conditioner thats very good.

Try to encourage her to wash every four days and air dry overnight in twists, braidouts or a bun. Or she can wet wrap and use Caruso rollers (cheap) to get waves. She can wear her hair up in a wavy bun or twist. If her hair is damaged, it will def help if she conditions it as frequently as possible and wears it up a lot.

If im not mistaken, Seabreeze has alchohol in it so Id say no.

Dont forget a good leave in, oil and moisturizer. NTM makes a good moisturizing leave in and Salerm makes a good protein leave-in. For oil, you can use what you get at the store, olive oil or jojoba. And for moisture, Id use ORS olive or carrot oil or Profective healthy ends. All cheap!

Just my two cents:p

ita great advice.

I know when my hair was broken off at the edges I was very careful with the braids being put in too tight and now that I have come to the boards I have more experience with my hair so I cowash with different conditioners every other day lots of people swear by vo5 I personally use vo5 and pantene relaxed and natural products because of some reason I have to use almost half a bottle of vo5 to be able to detangle my hair.

You are such a good friend for doing this for her and in addition to what you suggested, since you said you wanted a routine and were on a budget, I was just going to ask if you could use some natural products like the egg, mayo, and olive oil in the place of some of the things you are buying from the store. (macherieamore broke it down and said EXACTLY what I was thinking). And someone posted a deep conditioning recipe for a hair mask that used avocado in the mix (think it was on the recipe board)...........

Good luck!

BB

Back