Hair Color-What should I DO?

melodee

I am sick and tired of my old faded highlights. I have grown them out to about two and a half to three inches at the ends of my hair. I have been slowly cutting the tired ends out of my layered parts (near my face), but I am not ready to cut off all of the highlighted ends. I would like to use color to deepen the shade.

Currently the color is a brassy dark blond. I will try to post some good pics of the color soon. I you look at the pic I took in my bathroom, you can kind of see some of the highlights, especially on the layered sections. But they appear darker in the pic.

Anyway, the color options I've been pondering are:
-A semi-permanent (what we call rinse) that on me last about a week if I wash2xs,even though it says it will last through 7-14 shampoos. Black rinses never stain my hair unfortuanately.
Ex. Jazzing, Beautiful Collection

-A low peroxide semi-perm like Natural Instincts. Never tried it, but the box claims that the color will last through 28 shampoos.

-A peroxide and ammonia based permanent hair colorant. Don't know if this is any safer when you go darker or to black. The light permanent hightlights have been rather damaging to my fine strands.

I have never tried any of the new longer lasting no ammonia, low peroxides like Natural Instincts, nor have I tried Bigen. I want to have as little damage as possible, but I want those darn brassy looking lights toned down!!!

Help me guys.

Tracy

Hey Melodee! :wave:

I'd go with a longer lasting rinse or a demi perm for the effect you're going for. I've wanted to deepen previously lightened, brassy hair many a time, and the best results I got were with Natural Instincts and Sebastian, used either alone, or in concert.

If you do decide to go with a demi perm, I would bear in mind that there IS some peroxide in there and that you'll have to take care of your hair accordingly, especially since it already has some color on it. Add a creamy protein to your regime if you don't already have one in there, for a few weeks post color. Maybe do a heavier protein your mext major wash after the color too, to be on the safe side. I had great results on "tone downs" with some of their lighter golden browns like Suede and Toasted Almond. These only need to be applied once every few months. When u see some fade, try using a rinse or a color shampoo or conditioner to punch up the color. They usually last longer than 28 shampoos esp. if you've already lightened the hair previously.

As far as Sebastian, if you want to go totally damage free, try using Golden Walnut mixed with a dash of ginger (if you can, this isn't imperative, it's just that the golden walnut has a green base, which may or may not give you a weird color on the ends, depending on how light they are) for nice pale, slightly golden brown result. If you want to go a little funkier with it, try some redder tones instead, like Cinnamon or Redality which will give an auburn toned, or a firey red, respectively. If you want a deeper brown, try Neutral Brown. It's a nice dark brown and it won't take you too dark, so that if you change your mind at some point, you can still do something else with your hair.

HTH :)

candibaby

I agree with honii, thats what i did to tone down my auburn ends that were turning blondish. i did it with a dark brown semi-permanent. (Kiss by Express)

Tracy

BTW - darker permanent colors ARE slightly safer than lighter ones in theory, but if you already have color you should avoid them unless you, 1) want to go REALLY dark and 2) you generally want it to stay that way. ;) You can do the job with the same effect using a less harsh product in this case though, and I'd take that route, if I were you. :grin:

Last edited:

Lindy

KAddy said:
Hey Melodee,

I agree with Tracy on doing a demi or using the Sebastians colourshines

I'd use a demi, such as Natural Instincts or Loreal Color Spa... Sebastians colourshines doesn't last very long... :ohwell:

Tracy

I agree. I would use Sebastian as a supplement unless your really afraid of damage (which is the only drawback of using a demi on perviously colored hair)....

You will have to reapply relatively often anyway, and it's better if you have something damage free to supplement with when you need to do that...

Lindy said:
I'd use a demi, such as Natural Instincts or Loreal Color Spa... Sebastians colourshines doesn't last very long... :ohwell:

melodee

Thanks to all who responded.

Tracy, I'm glad to chat with you again. Thanks for sharing your wealth.

miss_brown

Mel - maybe the semi-perms you've been using just aren't agreeing with your hair. I used to use Beautiful, but it would wash out too fast on me too :( I haven't had that problem since I started using Adore :up: