Hair done by a white haridresser?

HotCoCoGurl130

I dont know if this sounds silly to some people but would you ever do it. I do have some reserves about it. I know that many black hairdressers do not know how to do my hair so why would a white hairdresser know. The reason why I am asking this is because I wanted to get one of those special weaves that connect to strands of your hair and in my area only a white salon does it. The hairdresser may have some experience in black hair care but I am skeptical. What do you think?

Foxycus02

I live in jersey near the city and the only places that do those kind of weaves are white places. That is a very upscale type of weavin that will run you up to a $g$ or more.

cutebajangirl

I have had a wash and set done by a white hairdresser before. She didn't say it but I could tell it was her first time working with a black client. But it came out fine.

Isis

I've had my hair done in the past by a white hairdresser and my hair turned out beautifully. She knew what she was doing and had much experience working with all hair types. I tend to stay away from salons though.

I think you may want to research the salon first and speak with others who had their hair done there, not because it's a white salon but because it's important to use discernment when choosing one, white or black.

HotCoCoGurl130

Thank you for the quick responses. If I were to get this it would be a real treat for myself. I too also stay away from salonds but for this procedure I would have no choice. If I want it that bad.

Chipmunk

I, personally would not go to a white hairdresser. People seem to have success w/them all the time. I guess you can just ask them the same type of questions you would any other hairdresser to gauge their knowledge in haircare.

Purtygurly

As long as the hairdresser knows what they're doing, the color of their skin doesn't matter.

The world would be better if NO ONE had preconceptions based on race.

sithembile

I've been to a white salon in my town, they had a black stylist but all the stylists were trained to do black hair as well. I got the white stylist and she used good products like Lanza and Keracare, and she gave me good advice. My only gripe was the way she blewdry my hair, she used a round brush and really pulled my hair to make it straight, then flat ironed it. It looked good, but I didn't go back due to the pulling. But I guess I could go back and just be more firm and tell her not to dry it that way.

Mufasa

I have had my hair done (blown out) by a white hair dresser. It came out fine. I had a lot of hair at the time and quite honestly, felt that a hair dresser in the black community would have destroyed it.

This one was recommended to me by another black lady though.

elaine

I went to the beauty school once, and the student who did my hair was white. She knew I had some reservations, but she explained to me that she had biracial children and had adopted a black daughter. She gave me the best roller set that I had ever had!!
Unfortunately before she could finish school, her husband got stationed out of the country.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I've had my hair relaxed by white people...When I lived in Germany as a teen, my mother took me to a salon on base that had a white/German hairdresser. She did a good job.

In the US, I've had 2 white hairstylists give me a relaxer. They also did a good job. No burning and the relaxing was consistent. One, a man, was teaching/showing a black female hair stylist how to relax hair by showing her what he was doing while relaxing mine.

I do my own relaxing now though. Not because of these experiences, but by my experiences with black hairstylists.

Allandra

Re: Hair done by a white hair dresser?

Back in the day, I went to a white hair stylist. The only reason why I stopped going to her was because she moved. She did a great job on all hair types.

jellynote

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I've had my hair done in the past by a white hairdresser and my hair turned out beautifully. She knew what she was doing and had much experience working with all hair types.

I think you may want to research the salon first and speak with others who had their hair done there, not because it's a white salon but because it's important to use discernment when choosing one, white or black.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that
my experience with a white hairdresser was good, but I stopped going because she stayed so booked.

SweetNic_JA

Re: Hair done by a white hair dresser?

I went to a white Brazilian salon once and my here turned out really well. It had body and bounce but I was concerned about the amount of heat that was subjected to my hair. She washed, blow dried, blew out and then flat ironed! Because of all that heat I was crying on the inside but I sat there b/c i knew it would look good and because I had no choice - I had a big fair the next morning.

jrw

A white hairdresser did my hair for prom. I went to a beauty school salon one time in high school and the student was white. She did a great job and even did my hair in a nice braid.

karezone

My last wash and set at home was done by a white hairdresser at the Cosmetology school. She kept saying how soft my hair was and I said thank my conditioner. Then she went on to talk about the clients that she had that come in with hair that has just been abused. She did a really, really good job. The hair was straight to at the roots, no dents, no dryness and it lasted about 1.5 weeks body wise.

mssaab

I go to a white hairstylist and she does a beautiful job. She can do everything except the relaxer. I really admire her because she takes the time to explain what she is doing. I also go to a black stylist but only for a relaxer; no trim, color etc. If you are seeking a new stylist I would advice you to ask a lot of questions and maybe have them perform a minor service, such as a trim, and see how you like it. That's what I did. A truly talented professional stylist should be able to work on any type of hair.

Chimma

This is a little funny. Every report I'm reading about white stylists now is postive, and most of what I read about the black stylists in LHCF posts relates to them giving "little" trims of 4 inches, relaxing the hair without the neutralizer so it breaks off, and braiding so tight that you get little red bumps as your hairline break off. My black stylists have not been as bad as the reports I have read here, but I count myself lucky. One of them was tall with thick healthy mid back length relaxed hair and the other had healthy looking dreads so they both probably knew a lot about hair unlike some of the short, dry, badly maintained stylists that I hear some of you ladies see.

Do you think that black stylists expect thier customers to have bad, short, unhealthy hair so they don't take pride in their work while white stylists feel they have a reputation to maintain since white people might blame the stylist instead of their genes for jacked up hair?

jainygirl

i had a wet cut done by a white female stylist and it was the best cut i've had done on my hair. This was back in my "halle" hair cut days and she did a good job. I didn't let her style it for me cause i was worried if it would come out right but the cut was really nice. They seem to do good with the cuts that require lots of layers and stuff IMO --jainygirl

MissM

I had the best haircut of my life by a white hairdresser also. She could also tell that I was apprehensive and she assured me she could cut my hair, and boy did she do a fantastic job. She also moved from the Supercuts where I went and they claimed they didn't know where she went. I really think there are some white stylists that really know how to do our hair!

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
Do you think that black stylists expect thier customers to have bad, short, unhealthy hair so they don't take pride in their work while white stylists feel they have a reputation to maintain since white people might blame the stylist instead of their genes for jacked up hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of it is that white stylists of black hair have something to prove.

Maybe another aspect is that we are more trusting of black and Dominican stylists. We assume too readily that they'll know how to style us and that they'll respect our preferences because they have years of experience with black clients.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Well,

When I was in college getting ready for my AKA coming out party(all of the long-haired girls had to have rollersets), I arrived at my regular salon & my stylist was out sick. So, I ran with a quickness to JC Penney. There were not any black stylists available at the time, and I couldn't wait so a white stylist ended up washing, conditioning, & setting my hair. I was very pleased with the results.

Now, as far as relaxing...it would depend on if they are experienced with it or not. But I bet that a white stylist who is experienced with relaxing would be alot less likely to overlap the relaxer. I don't know why, it's just a feeling that I get.

licutiexx

I don't think their race has anything to do with it as long as their experienced with how to handle that certain type of hair

inthepink

Supergirl...

My friend used to have her hair relaxed by a white stylist for about a year. I remember her telling me that the lady was always very careful when applying the relaxer - as to not overlap. She had a good experience. Maybe it depends on the salon, too.

I received a very good cut from a non-Black stylist (she was not white though). Also, there is a White man in my town whose clientle is about 60% Black. To my understanding, he is outstanding.

I agree with Mssaab. Ask tons of questions and don't let your first experience with any new stylist be the "big" job. If you are seeking someone to do a perm, start with a wash and set, and come 30 minutes early to see how she/he services other clients. If you need a cut, start with a trim.

I also agree with Purtygurly. I used to think that if you were a Black stylist, you automatically could do Black hair. And if you were White, etc. Not so. It's all about training, skill and experience (do you have it or don't you--period). However, it is also important to note that there are segregated beauty schools. Students go there who have absoultely no intention of doing White hair or Black hair, therefore, they don't get the training. So again, asking questions about technique and experience is important.

skegeesmb

I have had my hair done by a white stylist and it came out good. I didn't have a relaxer done though because I was natural, but I wouldn't let most black stylists relax my hair. I just like to do that myself.

What I liked about this woman was that when I asked for a trim, she gave me a trim. She told me my hair was in very good shape, and it was a good experience.

I think we look too much at the color of a person doing our hair sometimes. Now if a white woman says I can't really do the texture of your hair well, then I will go to someone else, but the ladies who have handled my hair have done good jobs.

It's funny because I know black stylists who would not touch my hair because it wasn't relaxed at the time. They would tell me I don't do natural hair. So much for knowing my hairtype.

SingingStar12

My mother always went to a white hairdresser to get haircuts. My mom used to be a hairstylist and they were good friends. But since the hairdresser has moved away, my mother trims her own her and it looks like she went to a salon. The only times my mother wants to get her hair cut by someone else, she goes to a black salon or to her regular hairdresser when she is in town. Personally, I think it's all on preference.

Ire_manzi

[ QUOTE ]
Purtygurly said:
As long as the hairdresser knows what they're doing, the color of their skin doesn't matter.

The world would be better if NO ONE had preconceptions based on race.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Purtygurly