Hair Dye Gone Wrong!!

Lisa

OK so summer is coming and I wanted to lighten my hair a LITTLE!! I am 13+ months post relaxer so I thought it would be safe. I think my hair color is somewhere between a medium dark brown and a dark brown. I dyed my hair with Feira back in the early 2000's and I liked the highlights and lowlights it automatically added to the hair. The color I used (and liked) way back in the day has been discontinued and since I liked the product (especially the conditioner) I thought I would try another color from the same brand. First I bought this light brown dye (B61 Hi-lift brown)

but quickly decided it was too light.

I went back to the store and bought Feria 50- Medium Brown. I thought this would work but.....

Let's just say I understand that your hair porosity in addition to x, y, and z may change the way color is deposited in the hair but.... this is not what I expected at all (not even close). My roots are LIGHT reddish (almost gold) color (they look like someone who was trying to cover the gray...I hate the color)! I thought my unprocessed hair would be harder to dye than my relaxed ends. Unfortunately it was the exact opposite! My roots are this ugly reddish goldish brown color and my ends looks like I've never tried to dye them!

Can anyone explain to me what happened? Why was my virgin hair so easy to dye and my relaxed hair so difficult? I will take a picture once it dries but just to give you an idea...this is what I'm talking about

I'm not sure if you can tell but my roots are this god awful reddish golden brown...and I'm talking about bright reddish brown!! but after you get past the unrelaxed hair my relaxed hair is still this dark brown?....Confused!!!!!

Thoughts?

BostonMaria

Oh wow! It doesn't look so bad OP
I think you answered your own question. Its the porosity difference between the two textures

Whatever you do, say away from Henna which will make it so that you'll never be able to dye your hair again. I learned that the hard way.

I think you should keep the color

ajargon02

This just happened to me too. I wanted a red like donedo on youtube, the darker shade of red. It came out brassy and I am not a happy camper:'( . Oh well it's just hair and I can grow it out. Hopefully the ombre effect will look cute!

Lisa

I was running late today (as per my usual) so I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my hair freshly styled. My hair is a how mess now because I've been sweating all day but just to show you the color of it....

Lisa

Sorry those pictures are not the best with the bathroom light shinning down on my hair.

After it dried it was not as ugly or as drastic as I thought it would be!

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone can tell I dyed my hair? I went out with friends and no one said a word about my new hair color :shocked::shocked:. Does this big red glop of hair on my head look the same :eek:

That being said now I'm curious how light brown highlight would look (but don't worry I'm not that adventurous! I won't be doing this again for a while (at least a few months) :shhh:

Last edited:

Lisa

Oh wow! It doesn't look so bad OP
I think you answered your own question. Its the porosity difference between the two textures

Whatever you do, say away from Henna which will make it so that you'll never be able to dye your hair again. I learned that the hard way.

I think you should keep the color

Uh oh! Actually I have used henna on my hair (I totally forgot about that!). But I think it was at least 8 weeks ago because I've been looking for ways to cover my gray. I didn't like the color of the gray after I used henna on it.

Lisa

Ladies is it normal for your hair to darken after you've dyed it? My hair is not nearly as red as it was yesterday.

Lisa

When did the first dye (the light brown), did your relaxed hair take that color?

I didn't do the light brown. I chickened out! That's why I bought the medium brown (I wanted to go with a safer color). But to half way answer you question my relaxed hair did not take the color as well. My relaxed ends are darker than the roots.