Hair dye question... a way lighten jet black hair without bleach?

beana

I have a bundle of weave hair that I LOVE but its jet black and my hair isn't as intensely black as the hair. I thought about dyeing it a color #2 (dark brown) and hoping for a black with brown highlight result (more like a color 1B).

what do you ladies think? Is there a way to subtly lighten jet black hair?

hothair

Frankly no way without some sort of peroxide containing product. Even that may not work depending on the dye. I would use drugstore brands like loreal/ schwarzkopf for dark hair to brown it would probably lift max two shades if that, also hair may be auburny depending on the base tone of the hair.

lesedi

All is well with me
Honey. Add it to your Dc's and co-wash conditioners, you should see a difference within a couple weeks. I use molasses, for the opposotite (darkening) effect

beana

Thanks ladies! Just 2 shades lighter is what I need. I'll try both suggestions; brown hair dye 1st and then honey for gradual lightening.

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

nzeee

I had this same question for the super weaveheads over at bhm and this is what i was told by glow:

do a soap cap...
mix 1 part 20 developer, 1 part lightener, 1 part mild gentle shampoo...
mash it throughout the hair... keep mashing it until you notice a difference in the color. It should take about 5 mins.

you get all that stuff at hair places, not the drug store but it's easy to do.

someone also mentioned using rit dye remover but i wouldn't since it changes the texture of the hair.

good luck!