Hair growth after overlapping relaxer!!!!!!

jimjess

Hello eveyone, I'm new and I don't know much about hair, so bare with me if I sound like an idiot. I have had relaxed hair since I was about 16, and I typicall go about 3-4 months in between touch ups. About a year ago, I stopped going to my regular hairstylist because she took too long, talked too much and it was beginning to be way too much of a hassle to get my hair done, so I started visiting a Dominican hair salon for wash and sets. And then eventually I let this woman relax my hair. She only relaxed my hair twice, but I think she has overprocessed my hair by overlapping the relaxer.

When I try to reflect back I do remember my hair being extremely straight, but I just assumed that it was the relaxer, that is the reason that I relax, to get my hair straight. Anyway, it wasn't until recently when after five months my hair was still straight and it was also shedding that I realized something was wrong!!!! There was no texture, just straight, limp, brittle at the ends hair. So I humbled myself and went back to my previous hairstylist to get a diagnosis, and much to her delight she scolded me for leaving and then told me that my hair was overprocessesd. She was not highly optimistic in the prognosis. She said that I needed protein treatments and regular trims.

My question to anyone who wil answer is, Can I restore my hair back to healthy state with her recommended regimen? or am I stuck with this thin, straight, damaged hair forever? Right now, it is shoulder length, it used to be about 3 inches longer. Should I chop it off to about my chin, will that speed up the repair process?

HELP!!!!!!

MzOptimistic

Hello eveyone, I'm new and I don't know much about hair, so bare with me if I sound like an idiot. I have had relaxed hair since I was about 16, and I typicall go about 3-4 months in between touch ups. About a year ago, I stopped going to my regular hairstylist because she took too long, talked too much and it was beginning to be way too much of a hassle to get my hair done, so I started visiting a Dominican hair salon for wash and sets. And then eventually I let this woman relax my hair. She only relaxed my hair twice, but I think she has overprocessed my hair by overlapping the relaxer.

When I try to reflect back I do remember my hair being extremely straight, but I just assumed that it was the relaxer, that is the reason that I relax, to get my hair straight. Anyway, it wasn't until recently when after five months my hair was still straight and it was also shedding that I realized something was wrong!!!! There was no texture, just straight, limp, brittle at the ends hair. So I humbled myself and went back to my previous hairstylist to get a diagnosis, and much to her delight she scolded me for leaving and then told me that my hair was overprocessesd. She was not highly optimistic in the prognosis. She said that I needed protein treatments and regular trims.

My question to anyone who wil answer is, Can I restore my hair back to healthy state with her recommended regimen? or am I stuck with this thin, straight, damaged hair forever? Right now, it is shoulder length, it used to be about 3 inches longer. Should I chop it off to about my chin, will that speed up the repair process?

HELP!!!!!!

Yes, you can restore your hair back to health with protein treatments but I wouldn't say regular trims ( frequent trims is up to you) but personally I as well as other ladies on here don't see the need to get frequent trims. I think if your ends are split you should get a trim. After you trim off the damaged part, there's no need to constantly trim. Do you know how to trim your own hair? With weekly deep conditioning, protein treatments, and protecting your ends. You'll be on your way to healthier hair in no time:yep: Can you take a pic and show us the condition of your hair?

Last edited:

Neala21

You will have to cut off the split ends. It's always good to do protein treatments for relaxed hair. But you stated that you have no texture, its limp and brittle.

My suggestion is to plan for starting over per se with your new growth making sure you are relaxed but only 80% straight. You want some texture left in the hair. I guess in a way like a transition type period to better healthy relaxed hair.

You can get it cut to a style of your choice or take it step by step.

If I recall correctly you can't hang on to overprocessed hair as it will eventually have to be cut.

I am sure there are other ladies more wiser than me as I haven't been overprocessed (I may have had a section over processed because I let it burn because I wanted the straight bone straight look)

Sista Slick has some great articles on associated content, the board has some great ladies with great advice.

Wise Ones please chime in

drasgrl

Sorry about that. Unless your ends are severely split and damaged why would you trim the ends? Just wanted to say :welcome:

Christa438

Tsmith and Neala gave great advice. If you follow that advice, Im positive sure your hair will be back healthy, swingin and beautiful in no time. Here's a (((hug))) and "Welcome."
HHG!

d-rock

From what I've notice on these threads, Dominican salons seem to ruin more hair than they help. I agree with the other ladies. Deep conditionings and keeping it moisturized should help. And stay with that stylist even if she is too talkative. I can deal with people's personality quirks if they do my hair correctly; nice hair is about patience.

chebaby

what exactly is overprocessed? i know you say she overlapped but is it overprocessed because its bone straight?

MzOptimistic

what exactly is overprocessed? i know you say she overlapped but is it overprocessed because its bone straight?

Overprocessed is when someone put the relaxer in your hair from root to tip:blush:I'm not sure if that happened to the OP.....I'm guilty of doing this myself when I did not know any better:perplexed but I KNOW now:yep:

RubyWoo

Personally, I would stay away from anything but dc's and protein treatments if I was her. Once, her hair is better than she can move on to Henna, if she chooses too....JMHO:perplexed

I totally agree!! Henna can be very drying and that is the last thing you need especially with overprocessed hair. For some reason, I don't think my relaxed hair and henna do well together and I stopped using it altogether last year. My hair is doing so much better without.

smoothie696

I had the same problem not to long ago. I found that what helped me was co-washing at least 3 times a week, and making sure to DC at least once a week. I also found that castor oil, also helped me out alot as well as wearing protective styles and baggie to help keep my ends mostrized.