can you repair overlapping damage

sweetnixsy

Hi,
I finally got my hair relaxed today after a four month stretch. I thought the lady knew what to do as the lady before me she touched up only had the relaxer put on her roots. However this lady was so clumsy on my hair that I ended up having the relaxer on previously relaxed parts as she said my roots were very long. I m scared my hair will soon start breaking, although it looks nice and very healthy now.
But its too soon to tell?
My main question is it possible to prevent breakage from overlapping relaxers asap before it is too late?
Any advice welcome,
Thank you

HoneyDew

Technically your cannot "repair" it, but preventing it from breaking will be an ongoing task. I mean that - you can't just do a treatment that will answer your hair prayer. :)

You will have to commit to longterm care, treatments (protein\moisture) and trims until you get rid of the damaged hair.

If I were you I would start with some protein and up my moisture, deepconditioning weekly and exploring ways to strengten hair (henna/cassia, fortifying moisturizers, etc.)

Good luck!

CAPlush

Having some overlapping is just a part of getting a relaxer, you will not be able to eliminate all overlapping. I don't think one overlapping relaxer has necessarily caused your hair damage, but you should watch out for breakage, dryness and other signs of overprocessing. You should use a protein treatment regularly and deep condition weekly. It is not a bad idea to follow up your relaxer with an aphogee treatment or other protein treatment a week or two after a relaxer to re-structure your hair. Go easy on your hair in terms of manipulation, combing, and styling. Also, don't worry too much about it, I'm sure your hair will be fine:)

SvelteVelvet

Hi! This must be the season for overlapping. This just happened to me last weekend. My hair felt "fine" for the most part after words too, no breakage or shedding, but it felt a little dryer than usual after my last touch-up. So I decided to be pro-active instead of having to be re-active to breakage and problems down the line. I did a wash with Botanoil Treatment Shampoo (suppose to replace lipids lost during chemical processing) and a DC the next day and applied a leave-in conditioner. It felt soo much better than when I left the salon. Today, almost a week later, I'm doing an ACV pre-poo, wash & DC and I'm also giving myself a Nexxus Emergencee treatment. I'm planning to wash & DC every week and I'm gonna do the treatment every other week, and do some hot oil treatments in between those treatment weeks. I'm moisturizing and baggying if not every night every other night and using my BT twice a week. I agree it's going to be an ongoing process, this is my personal plan to nurture what was overlapped. HTH!

sareca

Overlapping really can't be avoided (or repaired). The trick it to minimized it. I think overlapping onto hair that was relaxed the last time isn't that big of a deal. Overlapping all the way to the ends or on hair that was relaxed the time before last (or has already been overlapped once) is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

sareca said:
Overlapping really can't be avoided (or repaired). The trick it to minimized it. I think overlapping onto hair that was relaxed the last time isn't that big of a deal. Overlapping all the way to the ends or on hair that was relaxed the time before last (or has already been overlapped once) is a recipe for disaster.

ITA. Sareca is right, you can't totally avoid overlapping but keeping your hair as strong as possible with regular moisture and protein treatments will help. I started using Duo Tex after relaxers to help keep my hair strong and it has made the biggest difference. Also protect previously relaxed hair before you go get a relaxer. You can use porosity control conditioner or any other cheapie conditioner.

Lady Esquire

sweetnixsy said:
Hi,
I finally got my hair relaxed today after a four month stretch. I thought the lady knew what to do as the lady before me she touched up only had the relaxer put on her roots.

Sweetnixsy, I relaxed last weekend and also stretched for 4 months also. This woman seriously overlapped. I will be on top of my treatments, and I will also be adding henna to strengthen the strands. Don't fret. Now you know not to return to her or if you do, be very very watchful. Ciao!

locabouthair

gymfreak336 said:
ITA. Sareca is right, you can't totally avoid overlapping but keeping your hair as strong as possible with regular moisture and protein treatments will help. I started using Duo Tex after relaxers to help keep my hair strong and it has made the biggest difference. Also protect previously relaxed hair before you go get a relaxer. You can use porosity control conditioner or any other cheapie conditioner.

how are u using PC to prevent overlapping damage?

gymfreak336

locabouthair said:
how are u using PC to prevent overlapping damage?

I coat my previously relaxed with it and let it dry before I relax. I also use it right after rinsing out my relaxer.

My relaxer steps:

1) I protect my hair with pc or a cheapie conditioner
2) I base my scalp with ampro base
3) Apply relaxer and process for 15-20mins
4) Rinse out relaxer
5) Apply a mix of motions neutralizing conditioner and pc for 5-10 minutes
6) Rinse
7) apply duo tex protein conditioner for 3 minutes and rinse
8) neutralize with proclaim neutralizing shampoo; let suds sit for 5 minutes
9) shampoo once with aveda damage remedy
10) Condition for 20 minutes with aveda damage remedy conditioner

I know it sounds like a lot but it keeps your hair healthy and strong.

sweetnixsy

Oh ladies, thanks so much for all your replies. I have a bit of hope now, my hair is looking long now for the first time in my life! I was so worried when I left the salon. I will do loads of deepconditioning with protein and moisture. Handle my strands gently "Like lace". I will do the aphogee treatment in a weeks time.
Thanks

Bumping for more responses as I hope this can be of help to other ladies.