Hair growth cycle

ladytee

After reading the post about is hair growth genetics I kind of came to my own conclusion. I really beleive that the key to growing "our" hair is moisture(of course) and defiying the genetics. I really do beleive that the hair growth cycle is what's keeping alot of us from acheiving our goals. Some people have short cycles some have long. I guess my question is Are there any vitimans to take that extends the hair growth cycle?

Ennyaa

I believe MSM is supposed to help keep your hair in it's active phase longer. There are quite a few others that I've seen mentioned on the board and around the web.

I really don't worry too much about genetics because the bottom line is you cannot assume anything. You cannot look at your mom and automatically know what your genetic code is. All you have to do is look at the millions of children who look NOTHING like their parents to know that. My hair and my sister's is completely different but we look SO much alike. Just because your mother's hair is long or short doesn't guarantee that yours will be either. This is the case with many families.

I say all that to say I take supplements to enhance my hair growth and extend the growth cycle but not because I think my genetics are somehow standing in my way, just so that my hair can be the best it can be period. Don't worry about all that other stuff, it's pointless anyway.

L

legs71

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that MSM extends the growth cycle.

Kitkat

Yes, I think you guys are right; I have heard that MSM helps to extend the growth cycle. Amethyst talked a lot about the health benefits from it. The problem that I had with MSM is that it made me break out. I was taking two 1000 mg tabs a day and breaking out something terrible. Other women complained about similar problems with MSM and headaches associated with it. I would experiment with it to see what dosage works for you. GNC UNH also has some MSM in it.

Valerie

Kitkat
Shen Min, which contains a herb, I think it is Fo ti, nor sure of the spelling also, extends the life of hair cycle, have you tried taking a hair tablet with MSM incorporated in it. That may help. I think Andrew Lessman Hair, Nails and Skin have MSM, incorporated in it.

Kitkat

Thanks Valerie! I do take GNC UNH but was taking MSM for an extra 'kick'. I'll do some research on Shen Min and maybe check this out.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
legs71 said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that MSM extends the growth cycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It minimises the shedding and extends the phase (can't remember the name of the phase) that keeps the hair growing, before it enters the rest then shedding phase.

Leshia

I wonder if MSM or any other sulfur supplement is as effective when used externally? Can your active phase of your hair growth cycle be extended when using sulphur oil on your hair as well? I'm thinking that I can't live without my sulfur 8 here (although I've never used it before). I started using it for my dry, itchy scalp but since then have just been using it on the length of my hair primarily and especially the ends.

Nyambura

surfer girl
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
It minimises the shedding and extends the phase (can't remember the name of the phase) that keeps the hair growing, before it enters the rest then shedding phase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the growth phase is called anagen, the transitional phase is called catagen, and the resting phase is called telogen. The following information may be more than you wanted to know /images/graemlins/blush.gif but I thought it might be helpful. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Approximately 85% of all hairs are in the growing phase at any one time (the anagen phase). The Anagen phase varies from two to six years, with hairs growing at a rate of about 6 in per year. At the end of the Anagen phase, the hair enters into a Catagen phase, which lasts about one or two weeks. During the Catagen phase, the hair follicle shrinks to about 1/6 of the normal length. The lower part is destroyed and the dermal papilla breaks away to rest below. [The dermal papilla is a highly active group of cells that can induce both follicle development from the epidermis (skin) and production of hair fiber.] The resting phase follows the catagen phase and normally lasts about 5-6 weeks. During this time the hair does not grow but stays attached to the follicle while the dermal papilla stays in a resting phase below. Approximately 10-15 percent of all hairs are in this phase at an one time.

At the end of the Telogen phase the hair follicle re-enters the Anagen phase. The dermal papilla and the base of the follicle join together again and a new hair begins to form. If the old hair has not already been shed the new hair pushes the old one out and the growth cycle starts all over again.

Each hair passes through the phases independent of the neighboring hairs. Hair is continually shed and renewed by the operation of alternating cycles of growth, rest, fallout, and renewed growth. The average life of different varieties of hair varies from about 4 months for downy hairs to 3 to 5 years for long scalp hairs. Each human follicle follows this cycle independently of others, so the total amount of hair normally remains constant, with an average shedding of 50 to 100 hairs per day lost from a total of around 150,000 follicles.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif