hair help

Nisha

<font color="blue"> Hi. I have been tryin to get my hair to grow for years, but it does not seem to get any longer. does anyone know what to do to help me get it to grow and to help make it more health? I have a type 4b hair. </font>

pebbles

Hi Nisha,

Welcome to the board!

I have combination type 4a/b hair. What has worked for me is frequent washing, (I wash every 3 days), after I wash my hair I always do a deep conditioning treatment with heat for 20 minutes. I use products made for deep conditioning. I also moisturize my hair twice a day; in the morning, and in the evening before I go to bed. Sometimes I moisturize my hair in the middle of the day as well. I always pay special attention to the ends of my hair because the secret in growing hair is being able to keep your ends.

I no longer blow-dry my hair, and I don't use the curling iron anymore. That has made a tremendous difference for me.

sweetcocoa

Welcome! I agree with everything Pebbles posted....also
since I've been natural, I've noticed if I don't keep my hair moisturized(rinse at the least every other day...daily in the summer), my hair gets dry and the curls break at the ends easily. I also never comb my hair when I wear it curly(as opposed to srtaignt when I do a set and wrap)unless it is wet and soaked with a conditioner....I learned this the hard way...

Titansgirl

Hi Nisha,
I'm sure w/ the help of the ladies on this board, and your desires to grow long hair, your hair will be growing longer in no time.

Faith

Welcome Nisha!

Could you post your regimen? That may help us to help you better. What shampoo do you use? How often? Conditioner? Leave-in? Current hairstyle? Etc.

Nisha

well. i use infusium 23 the shampoo and the leave in treatment stuff. i prolly wash my hair like every few weeks. when i get done washing it, i will blow dry and press my hair if i have 2 go somewhere in the morning. if i dont, i will let my hair air dry, pull it back in a pony tail and put a scarf on. i trim my ends maybe like every 4-5 weeks.

Hi Nisha,

This is definitely the right board to get great advice from the ladies
I agree with Pebbles in that the key is to look after your hair ends and keep them moisturized so you accumulate length.

Based on what your regime is, I would suggest:

1. Learning how to rollarset and stop using the blowdryer and pressing.

2. Increase washes to twice a week if you can. Or at least once a week if time is limited for you. I used to think that it would be detrimental to wash hair often but its the EXACT opposite.

3. Get your hands on a really good moisturizing conditioner that you can leave in your hair for a good 30 mins each time you wash. I love Mizani Moisturefuse, Keracare Humecto has got alot of raves too (I'm testing it on my hair as I type this
so I'll post my own opinions soon), Motions Moisture Plus. There are more but I won't go on. Concentrate most of your conditioner on the hair ends, the driest and oldest part of the hair strands.

4. Do a protein treatment approx once a month to strengthen and follow with a moisturizing conditioner in the same wash session. I love Aubrey Organics GPB because unlike other proteins I've tried, this one doesn't dry out the hair.

5. Look for shampoos and conditioners with a low PH. Should be around 5 or less if poss. These ensure hair cuticles stay nice and closed.

6. Try pre oil treatments. A common one is to use warm virgin olive oil on hair (concentrating on ends, the most dry part). Apply to dry hair for as long as you can. Do this before you start your shampoo and condition session.

7. Always sleep with a silk/satin scarf to stop the hair rubbing against cotton pillow cases which are drying.

These to me are the 'core' things that put you on the road to healthier hair. For me, minimising heat was a big help. The biggest actually. I only use it now to dry my rollarsets. And even rollar setting I do less than I used to. Alot of the time its airdrying with hair pinned up.

I'm sure others will share their tips too.

Good luck Nisha
Let us know what changes you decide to make.

adrienne0914

nisha, i just wanted to welcome you to the board! i don't think i can add anymore to what brownrelaxedhair said without knowing your current regime.

great advice, BRH!

adrienne

ngaa

k, since u r natural the infusium 23 shampoo mayb the culprit i'm a natural 4b and have had to stop using the shampoo as it seems to strip my hair of moisture and u cud try to wear protective styles almost all the time coz this has helped a lot of women on the board to accumulate their length
therefore if u r wearing the ponytail method almost everyday, the amount of heat u apply to hair is reduced too as u are airdrying...whilst pressing do u use a heat protectant of some sort?? this is essential so that the heat is spread out evenly...

another thing with the heat is that less heat and more protective hairstyles call for less trims which wud allow u to see length quickly. Lastly have u looked into takin supplememts coz agen they really do help. try to do a search on the bongelo vitamin regiment as the info on that that is very educative
as u need more moisture in yo routine, try doin a search on curl activator as that too has helped the ladies here

hth

Nisha

hey. who knows what in the world is henna conditioning? i read it somewhere but i dont know what it is

Lucia

Hi Nisha,
read the paging hennaphillic gals, it's loads of info, everything you need for henna.
hth

Nisha, Amillion has a really good post on how to do a good rollar set. Do a search for it or PM her and see if she'll dig it up for you.

It was what helped it 'click' on what to do.

Faith

Hi Nisha,

BRH made some really good points. I would also add that you may want to try the no shampoo method to see if that helps soften your hair. And get rid of the Infusium spray for now...that may be the cause of the dry hair. Increase your washings to every 10-14 days if 1x/week is too much. But 1x/week is good. Also add scurl to your regimen. I'm sure you'll find that with the increase in moisture you may be able to cut back on your trims to 1x every 3 months or more instead of every 4-5 weeks. Can I ask why you trim so often? I personally trim 2x/year and my hair doesn't suffer for it. HTH

Daughter

UK Blak
Hi there!

I've only been following some of the advice here and on other boards for a few weeks and I notice a real differerence in health, which is certainly a step in the right direction for growing long hair. Like the other poster said, wash frequently and lay off the heat! When I had relaxed hair I made the mistake of washing every 2 weeks. Now I wash my hair every week and may try every 4 days soon.

Just last week I had lots of breakage when I washed my hair but this evening I had very little - just a few strands were in the sink strainer! I've been moisturising the ends of my hair with Organic Roots Carrot Oil at night and Kemi Oyl Pro Gro Shea Butter in the morning. No more brushing the hair and only use a very wide toothed comb and even then that's only for combing conditioner through my hair (slowly!) and partings. I've also increased my water intake and started taking MSM supplements.

I'm sticking to this for now because I have noticed a definite improvement in the health of my hair

Good luck on your hair journey. Patience, peace (not worrying about it all the time!) and consistency is key.

(By the way thanks ladies for sharing your tips as it's helping me!)

Nisha

i dont get my hair cut every 4-5 weeks. that when i go 2 get my hair done @ the salons. i tell them not 2 cut it. i get my hair trimmed maybe like every 2 months