Hair Lessons Learned in 2004

I have learned so much, thanks to you ladies on this forum!
-Protective styles
-Moisture!

-CW
-Consistency
and so much more…:)

Do's:

-Eat healthfully, take a good multi-vitamin, and drink lots of water!
(Healthy hair starts from the inside).

-Keep products that always work well for you in stock

-Use hair-friendly tools and accessories (Bone Combs, Seamless Combs,
and Silk Ribbons etc.....)

Don'ts:

-Use a lot of direct heat (i.e. Hot irons and blowdryers)

-Sleep without a silk or satin scarf, bonnet, or pillowcase

-Slack off on drinking water and taking vitamins

Okay, I guess it's never too late to learn :), but my hair grows uneven!

2004 was the first time I've had a totally blunt cut in about 11 years. I've just realized that I have to trim more often to keep it even. I rarely get split ends because I take so much care with doing my hair, but as it grows, I must cut often. Since I cut so sporadically last year (about 3x), I cut more to even. Since reaching my goal, I think I've cut about 3-4 inches :(. I'm still farther along than I was this time last year, so I'm happy.

I have to update my regimen now to cut at each relaxer, about 4x per year. I want to maintain my length so I'll only cut about 1/2 inch each time I relax to keep it blunt and even.

Do::)
1.Detangle thouroughly after taking down braids and before washing (now I really need to chant this one like a mantra :))

2. Wear satin scarf/bonnet at nighttime
3. Eat balanced diet
4. Take supplements consistently
5. Go to the gym to improve all round health and body circulation
6. Use products specific/suited for hair type

Don't::nono:
1. Use excessive heat!

2. Be a product junkie
3. Use excessive colours and bleaches (dries hair out)
4. Use excessive heat
5. Overstretch touch-up time

Last edited:
Hey Baileyscream :wave:

ITA regarding stretching relaxers out 2 much. I did this and had way too much breakage. I still stretch, but not quite as long.
SG

SouthernGirl said:
Hey Baileyscream :wave:

ITA regarding stretching relaxers out 2 much. I did this and had way too much breakage. I still stretch, but not quite as long.
SG

Hey SouthernGirl :wave:,

Same here. I was very upset because I had a lot of breakage when I took out my braids after 14 weeks. The only reason it happened was because I had over 8 weeks worth of new growth and then I left the braids in for an additional 14 weeks. It was "hello breakage", my hair was everywhere.:eek: I guess I learned my lesson. :ohwell:

No more overstretching for me.:(

Last edited:
Baileys,

That's awful :(. At least you know now! I guess moderation with everything is key- even when it comes to stretching relaxers :)

Take care,
SG

SouthernGirl said:
Baileys,

That's awful :(. At least you know now! I guess moderation with everything is key- even when it comes to stretching relaxers :)

Take care,
SG

Thanks Southern. I sure do.

DO:

1. Focus on hair health, length will come
2. Be patient..."A watched pot never boils"
3. Be balanced: Jumping on EVERY bandwagon is not healthy for you or your hair
4. Find a good regimen and stick with it...If it's working for you, don't stop!
5. Enjoy the Hair Journey...If it's not fun or interesting, you won't stick with it

DON'T:

1. Compare your hair to others...that will just lead to misery. Just because her hair grows at x rate, doesn't mean yours will (even if you are hair "twins")
2. Be afraid to ask questions...There are some really knowledgeable ladies on this site- TAKE ADVANTAGE
3. Let 1 (or 2 or 3) haters stop your show...Do you and be proud!

I'm sure I can think of more...

Back