Top Hair Lessons Learned since joining LHCF

kristina

I thought this would be a fun and useful thread topic. I learned so many little things the hard way. My top nine are:
1. Detangler is your friend. I could have saved so much hair if I had known this earlier. For me, a moisturizing conditioner isn't enough- I need something that makes my hair like seaweed- my favorite choice is Biolage Detangling Solution.
2. Detangle hair with detangling condtioner in your hair, braid or twist it with the conditioner in, then rinse out the conditioner (about 80%).
3. Breakage/broken bits of hair/split ends are not normal. They are a sign that your hair isn't getting enough moisture or is damaged. Moisture more and it will go away.
4. Dust/Trim regularly- Cathy Howse is wrong, folks. And for naturals, I just discovered that trimming will minimize tangles. I'm going to self trim more often in 2006.
5. Moisturizing does not mean loading the hair with greasy products. Using to many oil moisturizers, creams, greases, and butters can weaken the hair- moisture is best done with good conditioners, pre poo treatments, and possibly glycerin based products.
6. Heat can permanently destroy your naps. I didn't know this before I started and that's why I said nothing when getting my marcel fried on a bi weekly basis pre lhcf.
7. Too much protein can make hair brittle.
8. Styling and detangling with your fingers will save a lot of hair.
9. Braid extensions can be damaging. Fake extensions can leech out the moisture in the hair, leading to crunchy ends. Human hair expensions on long natural hair can lead to tangles at the ends(over time the natural hair may unravel and fuse together). Both types can cause matting if you leave them in too long and/or use too many products near the scalp.
10. A denman brush or a fake denman is your friend.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl

~ Stretching my relaxers to at least 12 weeks!
~Conditioner Washes
~Olive Oil on damp hair after CO Wash
~Minimal to no heat when styling
~Vitamins
~MTG!
~Protective Styles
~No harsh brushing or combing
~NEXXUS EMERGENCEE SAVED ME WHEN I CAME TO THIS FORUM ;)

star

1. Best Kinds of Mositurizing Condtioner and Protein Treatments
2. Stretching Relaxers and best products to use doing stretching.
3. Good Weavers; Wigs and maintance
4. Best Oils for hair like Olive, Shea, Coconut, etc.
5. Face and Body Products
6. WHole lot more of other small things that big outcomes.
7. Last but not least PRAYER SISTERS in Christian Forum

Last edited:

Candy_C

i learnt that i COULD airdry and it COUDL remain curly like i had always wished!!

I LEARNT about pre-poo.

and i learnt my hair looks better when i leave it be

sorry to say, but split ends ARE normal, and so are broken bits!!

a few broken bits are standard.

the excesses of these are not normal.

i get lil bits out my hair often, esp nr a re-touch

Last edited:

metro_qt

kristina said:
I thought this would be a fun and useful thread topic. I learned so many little things the hard way. My top nine are:
1. Detangler is your friend. I could have saved so much hair if I had known this earlier. For me, a moisturizing conditioner isn't enough- I need something that makes my hair like seaweed- my favorite choice is Biolage Detangling Solution.
2. Detangle hair with detangling condtioner in your hair, braid or twist it with the conditioner in, then rinse out the conditioner (about 80%).
3. Breakage/broken bits of hair/split ends are not normal. They are a sign that your hair isn't getting enough moisture or is damaged. Moisture more and it will go away.
4. Dust/Trim regularly- Cathy Howse is wrong, folks. And for naturals, I just discovered that trimming will minimize tangles. I'm going to self trim more often in 2006.
5. Moisturizing does not mean loading the hair with greasy products. Using to many oil moisturizers, creams, greases, and butters can weaken the hair- moisture is best done with good conditioners, pre poo treatments, and possibly glycerin based products.
6. Heat can permanently destroy your naps. I didn't know this before I started and that's why I said nothing when getting my marcel fried on a bi weekly basis pre lhcf.
9. Braid extensions can be damaging. Fake extensions can leech out the moisture in the hair, leading to crunchy ends. Human hair expensions on long natural hair can lead to tangles at the ends(over time the natural hair may unravel and fuse together). Both types can cause matting if you leave them in too long and/or use too many products near the scalp.

i'm going to copy this and get some bioloage (or sally's fake biolage) this weekend... Why ohhh why did i not listen to people when they say washing your hair while braided is best??!?!? :confused:

jrae

Learned from LHCF and other hair boards over the years:
  1. MTG
  2. learned a lot about vitamins
  3. Protective styling
  4. Skipping relaxers on my nape area and/or using a milder strength
  5. Keeping ends moisturized
  6. Satin pillowcase

beyondcute

Too much of anything is a bad thing; less is more.

Some people will go to all lengths to get long hair.

Hair is forgiving and will most likely grow back.

Being a product junkie is not fun and your hair will hate 99% of those products.

Nanyanika

~ healthy diet and vitamins are important for healthy, shiny soft tresses. i'm sorry i stopped taking my vits when i begun transitioing, i have some terrible rough spots, thankfully, i've made a sensibe decision to take them again and my napps feel softer already.
~Conditioner Washes are ver imoprtant makes the hair moisturised and elastic
~Shampoos dry my hair out too much, i'm slowly weaning myself off them.
~Protective Styles like cornrows are better for my hair.
~No heavy protein, made my natura;/texturized hair very brittle dry and breaking.

Lucia

1. Vitamins an eating healthy, and regular excercise.
2. Moisture from inside and out-water at least 8 glasses/day, misting hair, or conditioner rinses, air drying, steaming treatments.
3. Detangling balme Biolage works great, or cholesterol.
4. Dusting Trimms- I do them myself, so no more set backs.
I'll pass my goal by at least 2 -3 inches before Ithink about letting a "stylist" trimm for me.
5. Not listening to them, you know them, those people who don't want you to grow your hair out cause you can't, if they can't.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
- Black women can grow long hair while relaxed
- Getting your hair wet is not a bad thing and manageable
- I can airdry my hair straight and my hair loves it.
- Conditioner washes are my friend
- I don't have to stick to "black products"
- My hair loves Nexxus
- I can grow out my nape
- I don't have to relax my hair every 6 weeks. I can wait 8, 9, 10 weeks

In summary, I can learn how to manage my hair in healthy ways and make it grow, grow, grow!!!

CurliDiva

1. Healthy hair is beautiful at any length!
2. My natural texture turned into defined spirals and curls once I properly moisturized!
3. WATER is not my hair (or styling) enemy!
4. Conditioner washing instead of shampoo
5. Less products, great results with Scurl, MTG, and Surge
6. Take the time to learn, care for and pamper my hair and myself.
7. Black women CAN grow hair to great lengths both relaxed and natural.

:D Thanks LHCF!

tenderheaded

I"m so glad I'm not alone on my hair journey! From LHCF I learned:

It's ok to wash frequently
We don't need grease everyday.
Wonderful oils - carrot, evoo, jojoba.
Self relaxing tips- It's easy to get professional results without burns:lol:
Product reviews.
The importance of moisture and protein. No stylist has EVER given me this advise.
I just love the variety of opinions and views:)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Top Hair Lessons:
1. Moisturize those ends. :grin:
2. Stretching relaxers.
3. MTG. :D
4. Dominican Conditioners. (Ya'll gave me access to web sites I didn't know exist)
5. EVOO and other Natural Oils for pre-poos and to give a boost to some crappy conditioner.
6. Clarifying
7. Protective styles is the key for SUPER post relaxer weeks.
8. Vitamins, water and Protein.
9. Trial and era, plus understanding that MY HAIR is an investment and to give it the BEST products.
10. Stick to what works, b/c what works for others may not work for me.

Victorian

old head
I've learned:

• My scalp is happier when it stays clean as much as possible
  • What makes my hair happier can change as the state of my hair changes--I have to be willing to deal with that.
  • The products I use during the wash are more important than the products I use afterwards
  • If I'm not consistent and methodical about my regimen then I'll never be sure what works and what doesn't
  • It's easier for me to be consistent and methodical about my regimen when my regimen is simple.
  • I must use my fingers to detangle my ends. Otherwise I lose way more hair than I need to.
  • JASON rules!! :lol:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
vikkisecret said:
~ Stretching my relaxers to at least 12 weeks!
~Conditioner Washes
~Olive Oil on damp hair after CO Wash
~Vitamins
~MTG!
~Protective Styles
~No harsh brushing or combing
~NEXXUS EMERGENCEE SAVED ME WHEN I CAME TO THIS FORUM ;)
This sounds good to me. I'm gonna copy this.

CinnaMocha

I learned about self dusting/trimming is not a bad thing since I always relied on a stylist to do this for me (and in the past those were cuts...:mad:). That was a very valuable lesson that I will try and give a chance.

remnant

I'm new but since I've been lurking for almost 5 months, here's what I've learned:
  1. Black women CAN grow hair to great lengths both relaxed and natural.
  2. Listen to my hair to know what works or don't work with it.

Lady_Lioness

uofmpanther said:
- Black women can grow long hair while relaxed
- Getting your hair wet is not a bad thing and manageable
- I can airdry my hair straight and my hair loves it.
- Conditioner washes are my friend
- I don't have to stick to "black products"
- My hair loves Nexxus
- I can grow out my nape
- I don't have to relax my hair every 6 weeks. I can wait 8, 9, 10 weeks

In summary, I can learn how to manage my hair in healthy ways and make it grow, grow, grow!!!
I agree..and might I also add...moisturizing our ends every single day...no need for hair grease in order to grow our hair...and constant trimming isn't really necessary to achieve length.

Southernbella.

1) Stretching is a good thing
2) The purpose of protein vs. moisture, and how to tell when I need which one
3) That just because my hair is thick DOESN'T mean I can use heat everyday (yes, a stylist told me this once)
4) CO washes/deep conditioning
5) Rollersetting
6) Heat protectant
7) Ceramic tools, instead of metal
8) I don't have to comb everyday
9) Water is my friend, and that I can wash once per week instead of once a month (yeah, eww)
10) Don't wrap a towel around wet hair
11) No brushing 100 times for sheen. In fact, no brushing at all!
12) Trims aren't a necessity
13) Black women don't NEED relaxers, and my daughter will not be getting one until she's...well, never, if I can help it!

I can't believe how lost I was before this board!

Last edited:

Isis

1. My hair thrives without heat.

2. I increased my washing time to 2x per week for more moisture.

3. I learned that airdrying is possible with my hair and how to airdry rollerset which I use to smooth out my hair (rather than blowdrying).

4. I learned how to use a good leave-in conditioner (I use Nexxus Headress and Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic).

5. Stretching my relaxers is very good for my hair (13 weeks).

6. I learned how to keep my hair and ends moisturized at all times to retain length and keep my hair healthy.

7. I learned how to do a braidout, bun, French Twist and other protective styles at LHCF - for the first time.

8. No combing my hair (just finger styling) until wash day. No brushing period.

9. Keeping my nape relaxer-free restores it's growth and health!

10. Using a silk pillowcase, scarf and/or silk bonnet it a must for me when sleeping.

11. Wearing a silk or satin scarf keeps my hair moisturized AND smoothes new growth.

12. Wearing smooth fabrics only when wearing my hair down so it doesn't break off on something rough (like wool).

13. How to balance using protein and moisturizers to keep my hair strong and supple.

14. Keep it simple and stick to what works.

czyfaith77

I agree with everything you have said except #9. The operative words are could be. If taken very good care of braids and weaves are a very good way of growing one's hair out. I got a mojority of my hair growth from wearing braids. The method that I chose was the Crown and Glory Method and it works very well if followed properly. I really agree with #5 about Cathy Howse. My hair does well with trims and if I don't trim as needed, I get tangles on the ends (and I am relaxed). My comb will just snag the ends, even a shower comb. Also, I just don't care too much for how she communicates with people (and that is very rare for me to say). I have read some of her books and commentary online and I simply believe just because you may be an authority figure who can speak about hair does not permits you to speak in a rude manner or talk down to poeple as if they are totally ignorant. Her business is to serve people with the knowledge that she has gained, not to talk down to them. After all, if they did not need the help they would not ask or come to her via email and her books (this is how she gets paid). People seek guidance and assistance not attitude.
kristina said:

greenidlady1

1. Clarifying shampoos can be good for your hair
2. The importance of moisture for hair, especially ends
3. The baggie method!!
4. B vitamins to help counteract breakage
5. Jilbere shower comb
6. It is fun and economical to make your own hair oils and products
7. The difference between protein and moisture conditioners
8. Keep ends moist
9. Rollersets, rollersets, rollersets

Sweet_Ambrosia

*Relaxers arent necessary
*CO Washes
*Protective Styles
*Moisturizing is crucial for overall hair health
*Minimal to no heat Styling
*Natural Oils are a good thing if used in moderation
*Frequent Washing can be beneficial
*Simplicity can be a good thing

Queenie

- Water is my hair's best friend :surf:
- Pro-hair styling techniques
- How to listen to my hair and solve hair problems quickly

Super_Hero_Girl

Protein treatments are NEEDED for color treated hair!!! (Grrr, why didn't anyone tell me before? Not even the stylist that colors my hair. :mad: )

Healthb4Length

1. Moisturizing my ends saves my hair
2. Weekly deep moisturizing treatments are necessary so are hot oil treatments.
3. A simple routine is good for my hair
4. Co washes are necessary
5. Being patient is key hair growth
6. MSM, Silica and sulfur (MTG) all aide in phenomal hair growth

kizzylonghair

I have learned the Stringy, Thin, Flyaway, Never Growing hair that I had on my head a year ago was like that not because I wasnt born with 'Good Straight Hair'.

But because I didnt know how to look after it :whyme:

BMoreFlyy

I've learned:

Keep the hair moisturized without causing product build-up
How to stretch that relaxer without totally breaking the hair(it's gonna shed)
That I don't like No-Lye relaxers
Heat can be used in moderation.
Alternative rollersetting method.
Don't stress about if the hair is growing, it's going to grow.
I can wash my hair more in the warmer months than in the cooler months.
Protective styles can be helpful.

Mitre

Moisture
Relaxing every 5-6 months
Conditioners and hot oil treatment( using regular olive oil with aged blended garlic)
combing only in the shower
vitamins
condition washes
Shower head filiter
Satin bands to make buns

My hair is currently armpit and growing thanks to the above methods. I hope to be at the bottom of my bra at the end of 2006