Hair matting help...

openexpression

Hi guys!

For the last month or so I have been having trouble with my natural hair matting at the root. I try to keep my hair stretched as much as possible. Can you help me with suggestions on other methods to use?

Thanks!

faithVA

Explain more of what you mean? When is it matting? Are you wearing twists and its matting after a week? Or after you wash them in twists? Or is it matting when you wash?

openexpression

Thanks for the replies guys! I normally wear my hair in twist outs or braid outs and I retwist/braid every night. I put my hair in a puff when it gets close to wash day. I usually wash every 7 to 9 days. It started at the end of July when I had a particularly busy life: wrapping up summer session of grad school (finals), working 2 jobs, and a internship. I made the horrible decision to leave my hair in a puff for 1.5 weeks and when I went to wash it to took 3+ hours to detangle. I have since tried to get back to my regular regimen but my hair has been consistently dry and the matting in the roots has persisted.

manter26

When you detangle you need to make sure you are working the tangles down and out of your hair. You have to start at the bottom of the strands but your hands (or comb/brush) should always move away from your head in a downward motion. It's difficult to explain but I suspect your tangles are pulling the hair apart at the bottom and causing them to gather at the root.

If that makes no sense at all, let me know and I'll try to explain better.

Nonie

openexpression, I have never understood how people can go for days with loose hair without combing it. When my hair is out, you can bet your bottom dollar it will get combed at night before I put it in braids and in the morning when I put it in a puff. With a hundred hairs shedding a day, there's no way you can avoid tangles if you're not meticulously removing the shed hair.

This is also why I never wear twist-outs for more than a day...because at the end of that day, I will finger-comb each section (as shown in this vid) and retwist it and then wear the twists for days. There was ONE time I didn't do that. I didn't even retwist. THAT was the one day I had to detangle. Because I never ever leave my hair loose at night, and I make sure the strands are so well separated that a fine tooth comb can go through my hair from roots to ends, I never ever have mats or tangles...and so I NEVER have to detangle.

If you have natural hair especially type 4 persuasion, you'll be asking for work if you do what you did. If you find you're too busy and don't like the look of braids, then the only way *I* would be able to keep my sanity and keep my hair from becoming a chore is by braiding it in firm plaits, and wearing headwrap, hat or wig over Saran wrap. Then my hair will be held in a stretched state so that when I undo, the hair is stretched and shed hair can slide out with easy. And BTW, I can do this w/o any product in my hair and my hair is still a breeze to work with. So if you're using moisturizer and keeping your hair stretched in a style that LOCKS the strands into place, you shouldn't have trouble.

faithVA

When you detangle you need to make sure you are working the tangles down and out of your hair. You have to start at the bottom of the strands but your hands (or comb/brush) should always move away from your head in a downward motion. It's difficult to explain but I suspect your tangles are pulling the hair apart at the bottom and causing them to gather at the root.

If that makes no sense at all, let me know and I'll try to explain better.

I agree with this and will add my two cents. It sounds like you had the original issue because you did not remove the shed hairs and detangle before you tried to wash your hair.

Perhaps you still aren't successfully removing the shed hairs.

You say you are back to your regimen, what is your regimen?

westNDNbeauty

I wear braid and twist outs often. I avoid any funky business by retwisting my hair into larger twists at night after adding a bit of oil and removing obviously loose shed hair. The only time I get a bit of concern regarding matting at the roots is when I sweat too much. The moisture definitely adds a bit more kink to my stretched hair.

Here is a video on how I maintain my twist/braid outs - quick tip: long lasting out/braid out

Last edited:

iri9109

do you apply product thoroughly? sometimes i find that my hair is so thick that I missed some spots when I apply conditioner/moisturizer etc, and then when my hair dries, those spots will be more matted and tangled. also be sure to detangle from the ends all the way to the root. sometimes i get the big tangles out from the bottom and neglect the roots because i can comb from the middle of my hair shaft to the ends with no problem.