Hair Rinse and Tender Scalp...HELP!

BrownSugar

I have a good friend who is having scalp issues after doing a rinse. Her hair is relaxed about 4a. She put the rinse in a week ago, the same day as she did her Elasta No-Lye relaxer. Now her scalp is sensitive, itchy, and tender. What might help this situation? Thanks for any suggestions.

Nonie

What kind of rinse did she do? You need to elaborate further. ACV rinse? A store bought rinse? A type of rinse she made herself? I'm assuming you don't mean a distilled water rinse.

I may not know the answer coz I don't relax my hair but I do know pple that are well versed in relaxed hair will be in a position to suggest solutions when they know exactly type of rinse she did.

BrownSugar

Starz, nonie, karezone, thanks so much for your interest. My friend checked the name of the rinse and it was a semi-permanent color rinse called Jazzing by Clairol. The color was Coffeebean.

BrownSugar

Crysdon

I don't color my hair anymore, but I used Jazzing in the past and it irritated my scalp something awful.

Tell your friend to wash with a clarifying shampoo (to get the rinse residue off her scalp) and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. She may also do a weak concoction ACV rinse.

karezone

I stopped using Jazzing because it was making my hair break off. Has she washed her hair yet? I know that some people have allergic reactions to the chemicals in hair colors and rinses. From the way it sounds she might be having one. Get some Benadryl and take it. If the symptoms disappear or get better then it was an allergic reaction if not, contact a dermatologist because you might have a scalp infection.

debyjay

Wow Karezone, how did you find out it was the Jazzing that caused your breakage? I use it a lot and do have some breakage but never thought to link the two! Have you found a substitute rinse?

TIA

karezone

No I have not found a substitute. But next time I want some color I will just use Hennalucent. I realized it was the jazzing because when I stopped using it and just shampooed and conditioned as regular, the breakage stopped. I was rinsing after letting the rinse set my hair would be literally going down the drain. Also my hair just broke and broke when it was dry.

SoniT

Wow! I've used Jazzing and never had any breakage. I guess it just depends on the person. We're all different so we'll all have different reactions to these products.

Tracy

Jazzing apparently irritates some scalps because unlike some other rinses it contains quite a bit of salt....(also the cause of the breakage on some I've been told.)

I'm not positive about it, because the fading was enough for me. I moved on quickly.

I'm also worried about that no-lye though - did she perhaps change brands (I ask because I assume she's always used a no-lye, so her scalp should tweakl just because of that alone - but bear in mind no-lye's can irritate too and when they do the result is usually irritation, itchiness and tenderness rather than "sores" or the like).....?

Tracy

Re: solutions

Tell your friend to wash her hair and add a little olive oil to her shampoo.

That should help get whatever residual rinse (if it was that) that may have been left off her scalp and the olive oil should help soothe it some.

BrownSugar

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your help. An urgent shampoo and olive oil soothed the scalp after that Jazzing color rinse. My friend's hair is still on her head and she has begun to visit this board for more information. You are the best!

BrownSugar