Hair School ------> Hair Dresser

SummerSolstice

Hi forum. Are there any beauticians in here? I will be starting hair school in the fall. During that I will be an assistant at a "natural" hair salon. What are your struggles? Pros and Cons? My end goal is to own my own salon/spa. I have made several drafts for my business plan, although I know it will be awhile before I can put that together. But first, I think I would like to be a booth renter.

So far the only advice I have found is to find my niche which will make me different from other stylists. That is all though. I don't know any stylists except for the one I will be working for and she is not very smart. Aside from her skills with natural hair.

My SIL grew her business
by renting a booth at the mall
then she would give her customers 3 biz, cards and asked them to givethem to three of their friends. If the customer did this and brought in three people the client would get a free service or a discount on a treatment. Then of course she would tell the next three people the same thing.

she also kept her prices low, and after she got a good clientel base she raised them.

Always make sure you include a contact number with each name in the appt book don't jsut rely on a rollodex

Congrats on school

There are a few professionals here (Dontspeakdefeat, Hairmaster) but the vast majiority of us are DIYers or want to be.

I'm interviewing with a few cosmetology schools this week as well. I hope to start ASAP. You're very lucky to have access to a natural hair salon!! Thanks for starting this thread :)

I'm interviewing with a few cosmetology schools this week as well. I hope to start ASAP. You're very lucky to have access to a natural hair salon!! Thanks for starting this thread :)

I agree i don't believe there are any here.

I am a Cosmetologist. I have been licensed for almost 18 years. I started doing hair when I was 14. I loved coming up with new styles and trying to recreate the ones I saw in hair books. By the time I was 19 F&F suggested I go to school for it. I hesitated for a few years then finally took the plunge.

I was very lucky go have good old school professional instructors. The thing to understand is Cosmetology school doesn't teach you how to style hair per say. It teaches you how to Cut, Trim, Color, Roller set, Permanent wave, Relax, and even pressing when I was going.

It also teaches you everything you need to pass the state board exam. You will explore sanitation of combs, brushes and tools. How to drape a client properly. shampooing techniques, scalp manipulations, treatments, diseases of the skin and nails and so forth.

We also had classes for the Senior students on the weekends that would be held by volunteer shops to teach us the latest style trends. The workshops would run anywhere from $10.00 to $25.00 and you would have to bring a model or manican.

A good instructor will teach you to pass the practical parts of the state board in less than the time alloted. For instance there is a segment where the hair is divided into sections and rodded. If the board wanted this completed in 25min. he would push for us to have it down in 15 to 20.

As a Senior student you will be allowed to work on customers and accept tips.
Upon graduation your school should also provide job placement.
The rules in the shop usually went. 50/50 and they provide the clients and products. This works excellent when trying to build a clientèle. There was also the option of 60/40, you get 60% and provide your own products. And last but not least booth rent. This varies depending on the shop, however it's the best way to go for an established stylist.

When I first started out in the shop I loved doing hair sooo much I couldn't believe I was getting paid to do it. The first time someone handed me $60.00 plus a tip.:blush:

The pros:
I made money hand over fist
I made my own hours/days I wanted to work
I had a steady following of clients that traveled with me through several shop moves
I was doing what I loved to do!

The cons:
The standing
Leaning over shampoo bowls if you don't have an assistant or the shop doesn't provide a shampoo girl.
Breathing in smoke from curlers, pressing combs
Breathing in fumes for me, because the jehri curl was still big.:lachen:
In my case, no health insurance.

The only regret I have is working myself till I was burned out. This was the most fun, fulfilling , crazy, hungover, paid in full time of my life.
I did hair and all of my friends did hair, and if you weren't working the the shop you were putting together a hair show, or being in a hair show.
It was tons of work and sometimes I would work from open to close because that green in the palm of my hand was so good to me.

If you hustle and build your clientèle where everyone else in the shop misses the mark you can make good money. For instance None of the stylist came in on Mondays. I turned this into a lucrative work day because I offered specials, plus I got all the walk in's.:drunk:

Another thing (and this really speaks to the horror stories on this forum)
BE PROFESSIONAL!!! AND LISTEN TO YOUR CLIENT!!

I got the edge over a lot of the stylist just by doing this alone, plus positive word of mouth quickly built my clientèle. While other stylist were eating, gossiping, or shopping when their client was under the dryer burning up, I was getting them out the door. No one wants to sit hours while you take your sweet time.

It saddens me very much to hear the stories of how some crazed stylist chopped off someone's hair.:nono:

I will say that I had quite a few clients with APL/BSL hair that would come to me for the simple fact that they trusted me.
If she trusts you, you will have her for as long as she can afford to get her hair done, as well as tell her friends.:yep:

And don't forget.
No cussing over your client's heads.:nono:
No over booking.:nono:

Hopefully this will give you some insite and tips to help you on your journey.

thanks flowinlocks. I was hoping that I would learn pinups in hair school b/c I am absolutely dreadful at them. Was it difficult building your clientele? How did you promote yourself?

thanks flowinlocks. I was hoping that I would learn pinups in hair school b/c I am absolutely dreadful at them. Was it difficult building your clientele? How did you promote yourself?

Unfortunately as I stated before the styling part you either have to kind of know on your own, attend workshops, or just keep practicing on your manican.

As far as promoting myself and building clientele, I did F&F for free when I was younger till I got good. By the time I started working in the shop I had already did so much free and discounted hair that I should have been burned out from the start.:lachen:

After I got really good at popular styles the hardest challenge was transforming F&F over to paying customer because they still felt entitled to free dos.

I didn't let them make me feel guilty and I stood firm. I told them when they go to work they expect a days pay. When you come sit in my chair this is how I get paid. Plus I don't get vacation, sick days, etc. So the ONLY person I did free from that point on out was my momma.

I had cards made, printed out flyers and sent them to F&F and put them on windshields , you could also promote your self on FB, My Space and Twitter. I really wish these were around when I was promoting myself.

LOOK THE PART, I can't stress this enough. I hate to see hair dressers with a busted do. Promote yourself by wearing what you specialize in. There was a time when I was promoting weaves in custom colors to suit clients needs. I made sure My hair was always laid. I tried every thing from short and curly to WL and layered, to fierce bobs. The same thing when short cuts were really hot. I got weekly dos from my coworkers. (we did each other) and tightened it up whenever it was needed. This meant edge up's whatever.

This also kept them coming back, wondering what I was going to do next.

Another piece of advice and I still practice this today. Always try to be in the presence of someone better than you are at your craft. That will help you learn and grow.

Technique can be picked up anywhere. I loved the way my instructor shampooed, The old lady veterans of the shop pressed, The way the barbers faded really helped me with my short cuts.

I also peeped in on the master colorist, and weavers to pick up pointers. Don't limit yourself to one set styling method. The more you know the more money you can make. Even if you specialize in natural hair, weaves whatever. It's good to have something else under your belt to supplement the slow times.
Once I got into a shop that also specialized in brow waxing and lashes I made it my business to learn these also.
This has helped out when I do makeup for weddings.

Remember when I said to look the part while promoting yourself? Well 90% of the brides say no to strip lashes during the consultation. They say they want the natural look. I say ok and politely bring a dozen or more set of lashes with me on site. I show up with a set on and my own makeup banging.

From that point on I got em! All it takes is for one person to get a set and it takes off from there. Mainly because the other girls don't want to be out done.:lachen:

Heck I even have ppl who aren't in the wedding popping in for lashes. I usually end up making and average of $150.00 on lashes alone, on what was originally a no.

So for me I was basically a sales person and hustler as well as stylist.:drunk:

Flowinlocks...you've made this thread pure gold!!! I'm subbing.

What else you got? :lachen:

I'm looking into schools now and I want to choose the right one.

Question: Since you said schools basically teach you technique..does it even matter what school you choose? For example, Paul Mitchell vs. Tech School

----------------------

ETA: I basically want to thank the ladies of LHCF for being honest about their experiences with stylists! I've learned so much and I'm so glad that I waited until now to decide to get back into cosmetology school.

I've learned what being a true stylist is all about and it's not just about taking folks money and breaking off their hair...as people have done to me in the past! Reniece is a true hair care professional...very inspiring. I love love love her work.

Last edited:
Flowinlocks...you've made this thread pure gold!!! I'm subbing.

What else you got? :lachen:

I'm looking into schools now and I want to choose the right one.

Question: Since you said schools basically teach you technique..does it even matter what school you choose? For example, Paul Mitchell vs. Tech School

----------------------

ETA: I basically want to thank the ladies of LHCF for being honest about their experiences with stylists! I've learned so much and I'm so glad that I waited until now to decide to get back into cosmetology school.

I've learned what being a true stylist is all about and it's not just about taking folks money and breaking off their hair...as people have done to me in the past! Reniece is a true hair care professional...very inspiring. I love love love her work.

I think the school you choose to attend depends on the clientele you plan on catering to. I went to an AA school and I had a much more rewarding experience than my friends that went to all white schools and later planned on working in an AA shop.

Now you got me second guessing PM. I don't want to do just AA hair. I already decided I am probably going to have to take addtional courses because I want to learn to care for natural hair, but I don't know about an all AA school Still great info here.

Now you got me second guessing PM. I don't want to do just AA hair. I already decided I am probably going to have to take additional courses because I want to learn to care for natural hair, but I don't know about an all AA school Still great info here.

Don't get me wrong you are going to learn about hair in general. However the school def. plays a role. For instance I could do Caucasian hair but I wasn't taught advanced foiling skills as well as styling the hair with a blow dryer and brush. Just as they weren't taught how to press hair because it wasn't required in their salons. I later found out pressing was removed from the state board exam for this very reason.

I would do a Google search to see if you can find some classes or schools specializing in natural haircare.

I can only imagine the money you could make owning a naturals only salon.

I think the school you choose to attend depends on the clientele you plan on catering to. I went to an AA school and I had a much more rewarding experience than my friends that went to all white schools and later planned on working in an AA shop.

That definitely makes sense. :yep:

It seems finding a AA school is harder though. This field in general is hard to really master when starting out. Seems like all the things you learn you have to pay out of pocket for classes...usually 300+ :look:

The best part about that is that once you master something then you can start doing the charging :grin:

Where did you learn to do eye lashes & make up? Seems like the more you know how to do, the more you can expand your clientele. :yep:

you can learn them in school - esp. if someone there is skilled in it already. Most people in Cosm. schools now **Not a Paul Mitchell school will have some sort of experience in something > threading, weaving, dreadlocks, etc.

Dudley has an excellent program in North Carolina.

That definitely makes sense. :yep:

It seems finding a AA school is harder though. This field in general is hard to really master when starting out. Seems like all the things you learn you have to pay out of pocket for classes...usually 300+ :look:

The best part about that is that once you master something then you can start doing the charging :grin:

Where did you learn to do eye lashes & make up? Seems like the more you know how to do, the more you can expand your clientele. :yep:

Exactly now you've got it.:yep: I learned to do lashes from one of the salons I worked at. The makeup for me was just like doing the hair. It came natural. You know when you know how to do something without being taught? I guess you would call it a gift. I'm no where near I would like to be as far as makeup... I have a strong interest in doing it for film and theater. This would require learning the use prostheses, aging someone or making them look younger, etc. The craft as a whole is fascinating to me.

you can learn them in school - esp. if someone there is skilled in it already. Most people in Cosm. schools now **Not a Paul Mitchell school will have some sort of experience in something > threading, weaving, dreadlocks, etc.

This is so true, I must say we learned a lot from each other, especially if someone already had a technique down.

This is one school I have wanted to go to. I have a family though so picking up and moving isn't one of my options...but I would love to go there. :yep:

I honestly would wonder about the PM school as far as the extras...good point. :yep:

Back