Hair silkener

fivefoursweetie

This is especially for my NY sistas. My cousin told me about a process called silkening, and I was able to find only one place that does it, and it's in Bronx, NY (I'll list the webpage at the end). Anyway, I now like in IL, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and knows anywhere else that does this procedure, or anyone that has used any of Miss Jessie's products and knows about their shingling method. Please help. Thanks

www.curve-salon.com
www.missjessies.com

moda

There are some threads around here that talk about curve salon, but the search feature is not working properly so I could not find the threads for you. I have not been to Curve, but IMO the silkener is just a texturizer marketed differently, I think Belladonna has been to curve if my memory serves me correctly. A few ladies here have also tried shingling and had great results Ayanapooh comes to mind. Sugaplum has a curly pudding sub recipe in the hair recipes section. HTH

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Suncypress has a silkener and posted a thread about their techniques and answered questions. You can look under her name and find the thread.

angellazette

fivefoursweetie said:
This is especially for my NY sistas. My cousin told me about a process called silkening, and I was able to find only one place that does it, and it's in Bronx, NY (I'll list the webpage at the end). Anyway, I now like in IL, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and knows anywhere else that does this procedure, or anyone that has used any of Miss Jessie's products and knows about their shingling method. Please help. Thanks

www.curve-salon.com
www.missjessies.com

A silkener is basically another name for a texturizer IMO. As far as shingling, a few ladies on here have done that method so they could probably help. I don't think it's necessary to use Miss Jessie's products to shingle either.

fivefoursweetie

thank you all for your tips and advice...i will try to find these other threads, although i have been having problems with the search, but i will look up the sistas names u gave...thank a mil
peace and blessings

deirja maxine

angellazette said:
A silkener is basically another name for a texturizer IMO. As far as shingling, a few ladies on here have done that method so they could probably help. I don't think it's necessary to use Miss Jessie's products to shingle either.

I agree with Angellazette. I am a master shingler :D and even though I brought 2 jars of curly pudding at my appointment, I find that I have achieved much success with IC Fantasia Styling gel w/ sparklelites as well as BBD Glass Creme. My friend got a silkener but I can say that my hair looks just as nice (if not nicer) ;) . For the price that she paid for the silkener, I got my hair shingled and a full head of highlights. But unlike her, I don't have to go back to maintain my style.

Last edited:

zora

Curve salon is in Brooklyn. They do a good job, but you'll be a lot less broke if you just figure out how to style yourself. And you need someone to give you a good texturizer without paying $300.

fivefoursweetie

thank you Deirja Maxine, but how do use those products....do u wash ur hair regularly and then apply the creme and gel???? please advise, and also are these products found easily in any store, and is your hair soft and managable or stiff from the gel...I know it's a lot of questions...sorry :(

thank you for the location correction Zora...ain't tryin to make anyone in NY mad at me :)

deirja maxine

You can use instructions listed on the website as guide but I will you the directions that Miko and Titi (both shingled me) told me. After my hair was washed and conditioned a palm full of curly pudding was applied to my hair. my hair was divided into sections and secured with clips. Small sections were made across the back of my head (or side) about "-----" (that wide) with the pointy end of a rat tail comb and curly pudding was applied to the thin layer of hair that had just been parted. **Very important--each layer was spritzed with water before and after the application of curly pudding. I also noticed that each time a new thin layer was made it tended to overlap the preceding area to ensure that curly pudding was on every strand. After my whole head was done, I was placed under the dryer. After what felt like 24 hrs :p, I was told to sit in the chair and bend from my waist. Miko then blew my hair out to ensure elongation. That was it. Now I don't usually use heat. I also don't use the blowdryer. Once it airdries, I usually do 5 or 6 large plaits and in the morning I have a really nice texture.

I promise to try to have pics up tonight. I was having trouble setting up my LHCF account last night.

HCH

Supastar

Someone suggested using the IC Fantasia Gel with Sparklelites and I've been using it ever since to shingle my. It's a godsend!! I wash my natural hair, shingle it, and go.

asummertyme

yeah...this site is what encouraged me to go natural..but when my hair grows out..i do plan on getting a silkner..but i will see how it goes in about a yr. or so when i achieve the length i want...i may not even want one then..

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can u shingle w/o the hair dryer? I have been thriving from using no heat. I am interested in trying this method because i'm tired of the gel hardened hair.:rolleyes: Thank you for the shingling tips because I had a hard time trying to figure the shingling 101 from the Curve site. I'll be lookin for the IC Sparkelites tonight! :lol:

aminata

natrlchallenge--

you don't need to use heat for the shingling technique. I don't use gel very often b/c it makes my hair feel dry. I would suggest using a more conditioner and less gel. I'm sure others will have some good suggestions. :)

DDTexlaxed

Thanx! I am trying my hardest to maintain my natural hair. I'll be trying the shingling tip w/ conditioner. I couldn't find the Sparkelites. :(

DDTexlaxed

hairmaster said:
Have you ever tried Farouk products, BIOSILK and the CHI iron....

I've never heard of Farouk products. As for the Chi iron, I've heard mixed reviews on it. As of yet, I haven't found a good ceramic iron, yet. What is it about the Chi iron that you would recommend it? :)

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My chi gets my hair super straight and its so shiny. I haven't had any heat damage since I've bought this, but I dont use it very often. Maybe once a month or less.