Hair Steamers. DO they steam ingred. INTO hair?

AnnDriena_

Do the hair steamers steam ingredients into the hair. I want to try it with shark oil to see if it would get it to penetrate into the hair.
This is in regards to my homemade thermal reconditioning plan.

So if I added certain oils and other ingredients to the steamer water would those ingredients too penetrate the hair? Or do you think I would have to have the water process so the ingredients bond with the water molecules and are carried to the hair? Thanks.

Hmmm AD I thought about doing that too but didn't want to ruin the mechanisms in the steamer (since I was told to only use Distilled water...whatever! - I put in reg. ol tap water
smile.gif

But..I would think that putting the oils and other ingreds directly on the hair (as you would conditioner) it would work just as well. That is what I am going to do when I steam by braids (one day hot oil with just heat, another day oils with steam moisture).

AnnDriena_ said:
So if I added certain oils and other ingredients to the steamer water would those ingredients too penetrate the hair? Or do you think I would have to have the water process so the ingredients bond with the water molecules and are carried to the hair? Thanks.

Andriena,

I know this thread is a little old, but I had to reply to this. The oils and conditioners should be added to your hair. You can then cover with a plastic cap or wrap cling film around your head.

Pepperanne2 said:
Hmmm AD I thought about doing that too but didn't want to ruin the mechanisms in the steamer (since I was told to only use Distilled water...whatever! - I put in reg. ol tap water
smile.gif

But..I would think that putting the oils and other ingredients directly on the hair (as you would conditioner) it would work just as well. That is what I am going to do when I steam by braids (one day hot oil with just heat, another day oils with steam moisture).

Using regular tap water will damage the steamer over time. It's best to use distilled water, or at least filtered and then boiled water. This way most of the calcium won't build up in the steamer (like a kettle).

Last edited:
BAILEYSCREAM said:
Using regular tap water will damage the steamer over time. It's best to use distilled water, or at least filtered and then boiled water. This way most of the calcium won't build up in the steamer (like a kettle).

ITA. I recently did research on distilled water and it is pure waters with no chemicals added. Bailey is right it will ruin your steamer over time. The same things goes for my facial steamer and my caruso rollers.

Back