Hair stylist drama after 12 wk stretch (long)

Divake22

All I can say is wow! The venom spewed from my hairdresser from returning to her after my 12 week stretch was something to behold. After a couple of pleasantries, she began to scold me for avoid her for 3 wks. She was like, "what happened to you, where have you been for so long?" I said, "well I decided to stretch my hair this summer."
"You know you hair is not the type to stretch. Send me a photo in 5 years and your hair will completely break off."
She then began to rip through my new growth something fierce. As I winced from the pain, "don't blame me--it thanks to your bright idea. I can't believe you came in here with this mess to work through." She let it sit for 5 min. After rinsing it out I saw a ball of hair, unlike I have ever seen. "Well, it is going to break some more while I rollerset. You will see that same type of hair loss after someone removes braids from having it a long time. You don't know what you are doing (from stretching). Do me a favor next time, let the professionals who know what they are doing and been in the business a long time do your hair." I was like, I did nothing for 3 months but wash and deep condition. I asked, "do you expect people to be ignorant about their hair? I understand it is a business, but there is something liberating about not having to rely on someone to take care of my hair.
"I'm glad I am leaving you with healthy hair, that is all I am saying. It is healthy now. But you cannot stretch," she said. "And now I have to charge you extra for needing additional relaxer."

I was so glad to be done with her. She was personable, but always took it personal whenever I did something to my hair. I asked her about henna--she said relaxed cannot do henna. All the while saying nothing about putting cassia in my hair on Monday. BTW, I am very happy about the result--the cassia and touch-up made my hair feel like a Dominican blowout after the roller set. Lesson learned: set my hair and stretch for until Nov-Dec.

Check out my updated fotki of today's touch-up. Password in profile.:ha:

Last edited:

Blackoutzangel05

I am sure the ripping through the new growth had to hurt....It is very liberating to find out how to take care of your own hair without being dependent on someone else. I continue to wish you the best, don't know if I would return to her though...her negative comments are a turnoff to me...

Congratulations on making your stretch goal. Don't let her negativity get you down. I would not go back, all that scolding is ridiculous!

Divake22

I am sure the ripping through the new growth had to hurt....It is very liberating to find out how to take care of your own hair without being dependent on someone else. I continue to wish you the best, don't know if I would return to her though...her negative comments are a turnoff to me...

Girl, it was not a pleasant experience at all!!! I am through with her--moving in a week--so she really let me have it before I left.:ohwell:

KnottyGurl

Excuse me, are you paying her or is she paying you? All that just because she was actually going to have to do some extra work that YOU were still paying for? If she or any other stylist isn't giving out 50% (or more) discounts with the UNSOLICITED advice, they can just shut their mouths and do their jobs.

ANYWAY....

Your hair is so thick and pretty! I love the color too. **Mental note: Do research on Cassia.**:user:

Last edited:

Divake22

Excuse me, are you paying her or is she paying you? All that just because I'm not making her job super easy? If her or any other stylist isn't giving out 50% (or more) discounts with the UNSOLICITED advice, they can just shut their mouths do their jobs.

ANYWAY....

Your hair is so thick and pretty! I love the color too. **Mental note: Do research on Cassia.**:user:

That's what I am saying...she was pissed off that my touch-up involved more work/relaxer and couldn't take credit for taking care of my hair. She actually did take credit after complaining about/ripping through my new growth. Jeez.

Thanks!

**WonderWoman**

You know what Divake, I'm stretching right now & avoiding my stylist like the plague. I know when I eventually go to get a relaxer, I'll go through what you did & MORE!!! However, if she gets nasty with me, believe that i'll be WALKING OUT THE DOOR!!!! Now that I'm learning how to do my own hair, I dont have to put up with CRAP! Plus, it's really important that my hair gets TLC, not *****y venomous hands :nono:

Divake22

You know what Divake, I'm stretching right now & avoiding my stylist like the plague. I know when I eventually go to get a relaxer, I'll go through what you did & MORE!!! However, if she gets nasty with me, believe that i'll be WALKING OUT THE DOOR!!!! Now that I'm learning how to do my own hair, I dont have to put up with CRAP! Plus, it's really important that my hair gets TLC, not *****y venomous hands :nono:

I know, I was like, "wow."

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Find a new stylist ASAP. Seriously. Do a consultation and explain to them before hand how you care for your hair so you can get one who will work WITH you to reach your goals. If the one you have now was concerned for your hair she would have been GENTLE trying to MINIMIZE breakage. I have no problem with the fee for extra product, but she was ripping through your hair because she wants to prove a point, at YOUR expense. She's shady and cant be trusted. You've got 3 months to find a new one. In 5 years, do as she suggests and send her a pic of your fabulous hair showing her what happens when you avoid stylists like her.

Lady Esquire

Despite the scolding and ripping of hair, your hair turned out nice and thick. Your ends look so clean and healthy. I went thru something like that with my last touch-up, and I am officially returing to self-relaxing. Independence is a beautiful thang baby!!:grin:

cmw45

Girl, your hair looks gorgeous...do what works for your hair. Personally, I think that stylist that recommend that you get a relaxer every 6 weeks are in it for the money, think, if you stretch for 12 instead you've just cost her $40-60.00 (more depending on the salon you go to.)

I've been lucky, my stylist is all for me keeping my natural hair...although, I don't think I'll be going to her much longer because I only go there to get my hair braided (which I can now do myself for free:grin:) and because as my hair gets longer, I don't know that she'll want to take the time I like to have taken to do my curly 4a hair.

Last edited:

Divake22

Find a new stylist ASAP. Seriously. Do a consultation and explain to them before hand how you care for your hair so you can get one who will work WITH you to reach your goals. If the one you have now was concerned for your hair she would have been GENTLE trying to MINIMIZE breakage. I have no problem with the fee for extra product, but she was ripping through your hair because she wants to prove a point, at YOUR expense. She's shady and cant be trusted. You've got 3 months to find a new one. In 5 years, do as she suggests and send her a pic of your fabulous hair showing her what happens when you avoid stylists like her.

She was being really shady...there was no need to rip through my hair. You are absolutely right about finding on who will work with and not against my goal. Yeah, in 5 yrs my hair should thrive without her. It actually looks the best it has ever looked despite the rough handling. My hair used to look thin and flat after a touch-up. Stretching works!:grinwink:

Divake22

Despite the scolding and ripping of hair, your hair turned out nice and thick. Your ends look so clean and healthy. I went thru something like that with my last touch-up, and I am officially returing to self-relaxing. Independence is a beautiful thang baby!!:grin:

Thanks...I was thinking about getting the phyto-relaxer in the future.

Divake22

Your hair looks great! I love the color. Is that from the Henna? How long does the color last?

thanks! I used cassia henna, so it is actually the neutral one for shine/protein. I haven't used the color one yet (I have it stockpiled in my freezer:grin:).

kokodiva524

Serial Lurker
Find a new stylist ASAP. Seriously. Do a consultation and explain to them before hand how you care for your hair so you can get one who will work WITH you to reach your goals. If the one you have now was concerned for your hair she would have been GENTLE trying to MINIMIZE breakage. I have no problem with the fee for extra product, but she was ripping through your hair because she wants to prove a point, at YOUR expense. She's shady and cant be trusted. You've got 3 months to find a new one. In 5 years, do as she suggests and send her a pic of your fabulous hair showing her what happens when you avoid stylists like her.[/quote]

I know that's right!! Your hair looks great! You are doing a wonderful job.:clapping::clapping:

Daisimae

thanks! I used cassia henna, so it is actually the neutral one for shine/protein. I haven't used the color one yet (I have it stockpiled in my freezer:grin:).

Thanks for answering.

Is your hair color natural? If not, could you please tell me what you use?: Brand?, Perm or semi-perm? Thanks again!

Divake22

Find a new stylist ASAP. Seriously. Do a consultation and explain to them before hand how you care for your hair so you can get one who will work WITH you to reach your goals. If the one you have now was concerned for your hair she would have been GENTLE trying to MINIMIZE breakage. I have no problem with the fee for extra product, but she was ripping through your hair because she wants to prove a point, at YOUR expense. She's shady and cant be trusted. You've got 3 months to find a new one. In 5 years, do as she suggests and send her a pic of your fabulous hair showing her what happens when you avoid stylists like her.[/quote]

I know that's right!! Your hair looks great! You are doing a wonderful job.:clapping::clapping:

Thanks!

Divake22

Thanks for answering.

Is your hair color natural? If not, could you please tell me what you use?: Brand?, Perm or semi-perm? Thanks again!

You are welcome. I used the Cassia Obovata from www.mehandi.com. I am told the reason I have color is because my hair is porous. I thought having my hair turn red in the sun was a good thing, :ohwell: but come to find out it isn't. I like the color anyway. I have the Jamila henna that is suppose to turn hair red/brown, but I am too scared to use it for now.

Empress Yahudah

Yeah thats what lead me to self relax... my old stylist ripped through myh 12 week stretch newgrowth and I had alot of hair come out... now i do mu own retouches and my hair looks better and is thicker and healthier now that I am a do-it-urselfer:yep:

BrooklynSouth

Stank *** heifer wanted to prove a point. Thank goodness, you are through with her evil behind. Do not hesitate to find a new stylist with some ethical, low egotistical behavior. So many of us hesitate to find a new person then end up back with the old salon because we did not start an immediate search...get on it ...find someone new right now..wash and set there and observe like a tv show!!! Please...bring your shower comb.