Hair Woes

naijaGal

Ok, another post before I head off to bed.

My hair is about 1.5 inches or maybe 2' in some parts.

I'm throwing this out to see if anyone is experiencing what I've gone through. The last time I could put my hair in a pony tail must have been about 15yrs ago. Basically, I'd perm it, braid, weave, etc. However, everything I did seemed to rob me of length. So whatever I gained I lost when I combed my hair after taking out the braids or weave. As for the perms well my hair broke off in spats so I'd cut lots of inches off to get the whole head even.

So basically I've gained no length with regards to my hair over the years. It's quite short now because for whatever reason as if losing my edges ain't bad enough I developed a semi bald patch in the middle of my head.

I’m not saying my hair doesn’t grow, it does but very slowly. Since joining this forum based on all the wonderful advice I’ve picked up if I had joined years ago my hair would be pretty long by now. Basically, I know now what I was doing wrong over the years so I expect to maintain my growth now.

Well that’s my story, anyone have similar exp.

Hi Naijagal! Well, I had to support my countrywoman :lol:! I can certainly relate to your hair woes. My hair is natural and has been so for the past several years. I kept it braided up for such a long time that I didn't even know how to deal with my real hair texture. I purchased products that were very bad for my hair and didn't properly moisturize it (the moisturizing part is something that I still do poorly with). Consequently my hair is quite short right now. Plus, I just had a major hair cut to even out my hair and get rid of bad ends. I also feel that my hair grows slowly, which makes my hair length goals ever more elusive. Even though I have had the great privilege of being a member of this board for the past two years (and thus, have stopped braiding and have been wearing my hair in other styles) I am still struggling to come up with a sound hair treatment program. :nono:

However, I have found a great natural hair stylist where I live who has given me tips for my hair, and it helps to talk to someone face to face rather than online. She knows my hair and she has done a fabulous job with her own hair, so she has my trust. I feel that this will be very good for my hair's health, to be able to talk to her since she is familiar with my hair. Between this forum, my own experience and her help, I have faith and hope that my hair will grow and grow and I hope that you will find the same for yourself. :)

I wish I could go naural. I'm texturised at the moment. Annoying thing is when my hair starts to grow out it becomes very difficult to comb, not that it's thick or anything like that.

I take after my mother, hereditary issues, she has terrible hair. Bald all the way round, bald in the middle, hair is fine. I'm trying real hard to break the cycle by taking care of what I do to my hair.

I'm going to try and go natural for a year, see how it goes.

I wish I could go naural. I'm texturised at the moment. Annoying thing is when my hair starts to grow out it becomes very difficult to comb, not that it's thick or anything like that.

I take after my mother, hereditary issues, she has terrible hair. Bald all the way round, bald in the middle, hair is fine. I'm trying real hard to break the cycle by taking care of what I do to my hair.

I'm going to try and go natural for a year, see how it goes.

girl I know PLENTY about hair woes! I could write a book on that subject w/ all the stuff I used to do to my hair (super lye perm every 4 weeks, glued-in tracks and ripping them out, never deep conditioning, using heat everyday:nono:) my hair looked like a rats butt and felt terrible. I had bald patches on the top of my head and my nape was BALD.

But thats in the past...we gotta look forward.

I too used to have the problem you wrote in bolded text. The best thing to do is condition very well....sleep w/ it in overnight if you have too as this will definitely increase manageability. Castor oil on damp hair also helps to soften the texture.

If you're gonna go natural, make sure to condition your hair often and use natural oils (coconut, castor oil, almond oil) etc. If your hair is thinning, you should employ hair massages and possibly see a dermatologist/trichiologist for advice. Most importantly, we're here for you!!!

Thanks for the resp Candy. Must admit, I'm not all that concerned with length anymore. I just want a full head of hair. You know a head you look at and can't see gaps all over the place that show your scalp.

I'm working on it, just wish it wasn't such a slow process.

I use to feel really bad about my hair it just never really seem to grow I think it grew about 1/4 inche a month and then break in certain areas and then I would get this great growing spurt and breakage on one side, I didn't know much about taking care of my hair but now I know that fresh fruits and vegs help a lot. they are so good for your skin and nails. Especially green vegs, I notice my nails grow so fast now and I don't want them too. I spend 98% of my day typing so I dont' need long nails but the change in my hair I never ever thought it would happen to me, I use to complain on here so much about my hair and I wish it would grow longer. Now I know it can and will, Just keeping taking care of it carefully. Its so amazing I look back on my pictures and I am just amazed that I have some real hair on my head- something I can work with finally. Its no where near my goal and its not long yet but its getting there step by step. Good luck and trust me if you take care of your hair and your body it will grow and grow long and beautiful.

Back