Hairspray - Do you use it?

Glib Gurl

This evening when I got home I was amazed to see that my curls lasted all day. At first I thought this was good luck, but then (after running my fingers through my hair) I remembered that I used hairspray this morning. (The fact that I forgot tells you how often I use it!)

It was recommended to me by a hair dresser at this high end salon. I hardly use it, but after today I think I might have to use it more often. It's Alterna - Caviar Working Hair Spray wih age-control complex.

Do any of you use hairspray? Do you always wash your hair afterwards? For today I just spritzed my hair with some water and used a water-based moisturizer to take out the curl. I will wash my hair probably in a day or so.

Just wondering what you all do . . . .

My hair does not like hairspray of any type it seems. I've tried many of them. Even the Alterna line (I think I tried the Hemp one). Alcohol or non alcohol. They just don't work for me. I just can't use them. They either dry my hair out or they leave a residue on my hair that looks like dandruff.

My stylist said that if I were to use one I should use an aerosol one because the 'spritz' kind can give an uneven mist if you are not careful. So you will end up with a lot it in some places and that can ruin your style and be difficult to brush or comb through (breakage). She doesn't use spray and doesn't recommend it for our hair but she told me this because I asked her about it.

I would love if I could use on though. I need the hold for some styles I do.

Anyone else have any thoughts on hairspray?

I use Kenra Perfect Medium Hairspray. I have been using it for several years and it works very well, does not build up or dry my hair out. This does not work in high humidity situations though. I use Aveda Brilliant Spray or Brocato firm hold spray in really high humidity.

I need to go to Trade Secret today to exchange something I may try the Alterna Spray you mentioned this time instead of the Kenra. Does the spray make your hair hard or make you hair feel tacky?

I'm not sure if this is considered hair spray. But I use Optimum Care Soft Holding Spritz. It usually work through all types of weather and doesn't give my hair that stiff/hard hold. Also it's easy to comb thru and doesn't build up.

:nicethread:

I'm so glad you started this thread. I've been using hairspray for years on my bangs. :yep: I usually get whatever is on sale and has alcohol list as the third ingredient or greater. The ones with alcohol listed as the first or second ingredient make my hair crunchy. But I do prefer spritz to sprays.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is considered hair spray. But I use Optimum Care Soft Holding Spritz. It usually work through all types of weather and doesn't give my hair that stiff/hard hold. Also it's easy to comb thru and doesn't build up.

Did you find this at Sally's?

I need to go to Trade Secret today to exchange something I may try the Alterna Spray you mentioned this time instead of the Kenra. Does the spray make your hair hard or make you hair feel tacky?

Nope - I do notice there is some slight build up today, but nothing overwhelming . . . .

I never use hairspray. I used to all the time when I was in junior high though. Remember that corny little style where you would curl your bangs with a curling iron and then hairspray it to death? Yeah, that was me. :lol:

Hair sprays always seem to eventually make my hair break into little bits. I would love to find a holding spray to use for special occasions when I need extra hold. I guess maybe washing the hair right after would be key.:look: Thanks for posting this thread!

Hair sprays always seem to eventually make my hair break into little bits. I would love to find a holding spray to use for special occasions when I need extra hold. I guess maybe washing the hair right after would be key.:look: Thanks for posting this thread!

For me it's the opposite. I only use hairspray on wash day. Right after blowing drying, but before flatironing. I also allow it to dry completely before I start flatironing. :yep: I don't use it everyday.

Yes, I use Mizani Humidity Resistant hair spray. It seems to work well. I used it once before a caruso rollerset without thinking about it and that was one of the prettiest rollersets I've ever had.

Back