Hard Water and your Hair

*Muffin*

I don't know if something like this has been posted already (I did a search and couldn't find anything) but recently I've become very concerned about my hair's health and the hardness of the water in my area. My friend was telling me some stories about some women who lived in soft water areas and how their hair thrived and was healthy, but then they moved to a hard water area and their hair, skin, and paid the price :nono:. I know for a fact that I live in a hard water area. And I know that water softening/filtration systems are quite expensive. I use a bit of baking soda in the water that I rinse my hair with because I heard that helps soften the water, but I'm not entirely sure of the truthfulness of that statement. You ladies that live in hard water areas and do not have filtration/softening systems, what do you do to soften your water? And do any of you think that hard water is detrimental to hair growth and health even if you have good hair habits? TIA :).

Rapunzel*

a lot of people rinse with distilled water, if its really bad try rinsing with bottled water

*Muffin*

a lot of people rinse with distilled water, if its really bad try rinsing with bottled water

Thank you. I just recently started doing final rinses distilled water. I wash my hair with the baking soda water though (because washing with distilled can be quite costly :nono:). I guess I'll just have to go this route. It's worth it for my hair's health :yep:.

discobiscuits

I don't know if something like this has been posted already (I did a search and couldn't find anything) but recently I've become very concerned about my hair's health and the hardness of the water in my area. My friend was telling me some stories about some women who lived in soft water areas and how their hair thrived and was healthy, but then they moved to a hard water area and their hair, skin, and paid the price :nono:. I know for a fact that I live in a hard water area. And I know that water softening/filtration systems are quite expensive. I use a bit of baking soda in the water that I rinse my hair with because I heard that helps soften the water, but I'm not entirely sure of the truthfulness of that statement. You ladies that live in hard water areas and do not have filtration/softening systems, what do you do to soften your water? And do any of you think that hard water is detrimental to hair growth and health even if you have good hair habits? TIA :).

I did the search for you click the link and you will get 52 links dedicated to hard water.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/search.php?searchid=5691531

The longest thread:
Hard Water (One of the Unrecognized Saboteurs of Hair Growth) Map. Take A Look!

HARD WATER AND ITS EFFECTS ON HAIR (long)

Some helpful (hopefully) information ... hard water, conditioning, and relaxers

Click below for help with shower filters
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/search.php?searchid=5691569

Last edited:

titan

I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but a number of women on LHCF have purchased a shower filter. You can purchase a shower filter from Loew's or home depot, from around $19 to $60 dollars. I plan on buying one for myself.

Filmatic

The water where I live now sucks. It smells of chlorine and is sometimes brown. I just brought the cheapest sink filter at Walmart and the water is not only clear but finally tastes crisp and clean. I also plan to get a shower filter. So don't think you have to go for the most expensive either. I'm using the filter water now as my final rinse and it save on bottled water.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

my cousins in Louisiana have soft water, and the majority of them have healthy hair, here in H-town, our water is really, really hard, and many women here have much more problematic hair.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I live where there is very hard water as well but it hasn't really done anything to my hair that would make me go and do something about it. I think it's a very good thing to be conscious of and all that, but it's really not that big of a deal if you take extra care of your hair the way most of us on hair boards do, IMO.

HoneyDew

Hard water, which my water was tested as, really had nothing to do with Chlorine, but mineral deposits. I have found that most off-the-shelf water filters don’t do anything for mineral deposits unfortunately.

When I moved into my house 10 years ago, my hair and skin started having all kinds of problems. I developed eczema. Well, actually the water exasperated the eczema that was mildly there already, apparently. I never knew I had eczema until I moved into this house. I wash my face with warm distilled water everyday and that helps.

My hair, over time, along with using no-lye relaxers on top of it, would get dry and brittle and get kind of a dull reddish brown look to it. It is so amazing how Kenra Chelating fixes it up in just one lather! If I go 3-4 shampoos without it, and especially during the weeks after using a no-lye relaxer, my hair goes right back to the dry, brittle reddish brown look. It was horrible before I realized the cause.

I was in tears one night when my hair was at its worse and I did not know what happened. Then when I used Kenra Chelating, my hair transformed right there in the shower. That is when I started researching my water and bought a water testing kit.

I also tried filters and they don’t help at all. I need to get a water softener. I did buy the thing called the Shower Stick which is a water softening shower head. I have not installed it because it looks so bulky. I am not sure it will help or not.

You guys should go to the Robert Craig website and send off for a free water test strip!
http://robertcraig.com/store/product6.html

LushLox

I've just bought a shower filter, they are not that expensive and it seems to make a noticeable difference in the water, soap suds up so easily when I'm showering, and my hair feels so silky when washing it. I wouldn't go back to a normal shower head now.

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
I've just bought a shower filter, they are not that expensive and it seems to make a noticeable difference in the water, soap suds up so easily when I'm showering, and my hair feels so silky when washing it. I wouldn't go back to a normal shower head now.

Do you mind sharing where you got your shower filter from? I'm in desperate need of one of these.

almondjoi85

I've lived in a hard water area my whole life and I don't think it really effects my hair or anything. I've been taking better care of it and now it's doing well... my hair habits changed - my water didn't

HoneyDew

I've lived in a hard water area my whole life and I don't think it really effects my hair or anything. I've been taking better care of it and now it's doing well... my hair habits changed - my water didn't

You are lucky!!

I started having all kind of problems after I moved into this house. I was here for 6 or 7 years before I found out what was wrong. The entire time I took very good care of my hair and skin, but I still had problems.

As a result, changing my skin care and hair care habits and PRODUCTS have made a world of difference.

So if anyone reading this is having some odd, unexplainable problems with your skin and hair, even though you are taking good care of them, don't rule out your water quality!

*Muffin*

Thank you everyone who responded to my post. I think I will invest in a shower filter. For some reason I thought that shower filters would only be effective against the mineral deposits but not the chlorine. Either way I guess it's better than nothing. Thank you all again :).

meecee

Hard water, which my water was tested as, really had nothing to do with Chlorine, but mineral deposits. I have found that most off-the-shelf water filters don’t do anything for mineral deposits unfortunately.

When I moved into my house 10 years ago, my hair and skin started having all kinds of problems. I developed eczema. Well, actually the water exasperated the eczema that was mildly there already, apparently. I never knew I had eczema until I moved into this house. I wash my face with warm distilled water everyday and that helps.

My hair, over time, along with using no-lye relaxers on top of it, would get dry and brittle and get kind of a dull reddish brown look to it. It is so amazing how Kenra Chelating fixes it up in just one lather! If I go 3-4 shampoos without it, and especially during the weeks after using a no-lye relaxer, my hair goes right back to the dry, brittle reddish brown look. It was horrible before I realized the cause.

I was in tears one night when my hair was at its worse and I did not know what happened. Then when I used Kenra Chelating, my hair transformed right there in the shower. That is when I started researching my water and bought a water testing kit.

I also tried filters and they don’t help at all. I need to get a water softener. I did buy the thing called the Shower Stick which is a water softening shower head. I have not installed it because it looks so bulky. I am not sure it will help or not.

You guys should go to the Robert Craig website and send off for a free water test strip!
http://robertcraig.com/store/product6.html

This was soooo helpful. I'm going to look into that shampoo and the water testing. Do you use the Kenra conditioner as well?

amara11

my cousins in Louisiana have soft water, and the majority of them have healthy hair, here in H-town, our water is really, really hard, and many women here have much more problematic hair.

Yessss! Louisiana has really soft water. Everytime I visit and I'm in the shower/ or washing my hands, I have to remind myself that I've rinsed all the soap off- I'm not used to the *slimy* (for lack of a better word) feeling even after you've rinsed off all the soap.

That paired with the humidity is a recipe for great hair and skin!

HoneyDew

This was soooo helpful. I'm going to look into that shampoo and the water testing. Do you use the Kenra conditioner as well?

I don't use the conditioner. I just use the chelating shampoo.

Sallys sells a product by ION that is VERY GOOD and I think (don't hold me to it) it is sulfate free. It is a clarifying treatment and is wonderful for treating hair and hard water.

It is in a little purple packet.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Crystal-Clarifying-Treatment/SBS-302208,default,pd.html

Ion Crystal Clarifying Treatment naturally and safely removes buildup from styling, hard water minerals, iron, rust, copper and chlorine. Leaves hair shinier and with more volume. When used before coloring or other chemical service, it ensure more even results. Use after services to remove harsh odors and residue that can irritate scalp.

Edited add:

Yes it is sulfate free:
SODIUM GLUCONATE ,ASCORBIC ACID ,XANTHAN GUM ,DISODIUM EDTA ,GLUCOSE ,CITRIC ACID ,MALIC ACID ,POLYQUATERNIUM-10 ,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF ,ALLANTOIN

HoneyDew

Thanks HoneyDew... maybe it's because that's all I've ever known.

But you may be using products that help you though.

Before I realized the problem with my water. There were times when my hair was fine. I think I was unknowingly using products that benefited me.

Actually, I had been using Kenra Clarifying for a while before I know it was really helping me. I got it because of raves about it here. But, then I switched the Keracare Clarifying and after using it for a month, my hair was going down! That is what I was using one day when I realized that something was really wrong. I deep conditioned my hair that night 3 times, I used protein, I did everything and my hair felt hard and brittle to the touch. I was soooo upset because nothing I did was helping! I was supposed to be going over to my boyfriend’s house that night and I called and told him – don’t wait up! HAIR EMERGENCY! I decided to use the products and methods that I had been using before, including the Kenra Clarifying. When I did just ONE lather with that Kenra, I could feel a HIGE difference. That is when I did my research and realized that it was time to get my water tested. Also, I found out that Keracare clarifying does NOTHING for hard water buildup. That may be why they have those chelating sheets they sale (I heard those were a waste of money, too).

Also ladies, with the goal of cutting back on sulfates, I use that ION crystal treatment sometimes, but it can be kinda costly to use at every shampoo. Even with the sulfates, I am not giving up on my Kenra Clarifying. It saved me mentally that one night (and got me to my boyfriends house as planned :lol: )

There is another one that is really good but kinda expensive but it is sulfate free:
L’anza Sun and Swim: http://www.lanza.com/products/display_products_overviews.sd?iid=2

Also look into the Malibu 2000 products.
http://www.malibu2000.com/content/Cn_Hair_Solutions_Hard_Water.aspx
They offer a free strip, too. I never got it though.