Calgon Water Softener Laundry Treatment to Counteract Hard Water

Averoigne

Hi Ladies,

Do you think that it would be safe to add a small amount of Calgon Water Softener Laundry treatment to shampoo or conditioner to counteract the effects of hair water on the hair? Many of us who are plagued with hard water concerns live in apartment complexes and cannot install our own water softening systems.

The key ingredient is sodium hexametaphosphate, a short chain polyphosphate that is commonly used in municipal water treatment. Does anyone have any information on its potential toxicity?

Please and thanks.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Honestly, I would be afraid to put that in my hair. Couldn't you just use a Chelating shampoo with every wash?

HoneyDew

I just did a search and apparently, the older version used the chemical you mentioned as the softening agent.

The new one contains salt, polymer, thickener and fragrance.

Salt is the softener here.

I dunno, I would just be concerned.

sareca

I've used fabic softener in a pinch. :look: But I wouldn't use that laundry treatment tho. :nono: Sorry chica. I know how you feel tho. Hard water ain't nothing to play with.

Averoigne

Thanks ladies. I share your gut instinct. And then I ran into this on Wikipedia (but I trust you guys more:) )

From Wikipedia:

Use water softener if you are showering with hard water. Take a cup of warm water and dilute a tablespoon of powder water-softener (i.e., Calgon, 20-mule Borax, etc.). Use it first to rinse shampoo out of your hair. Rinse out the rest of shampoo with regular showers/bath water. This will rid your hair of any residue from dirt and other hair products, including stuff in your shampoo. It will not strip your hair of any natural nutrients, so feel free to use it everyday. Your hair should feel squeaky clean at this point. Condition with salon-quality conditioner.

Then I came across Calgon Moisturizing Bath Beads at Rite Aid. The ingredients are: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Pentasodium Triphosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Water, Fragrance, Isopropyl Palmitate, Mineral Oil, Aloe Vera Juice, Tocopherol Acetate and Yellow #5. I'm still waayy apprehensive about trying it, but it is formulated to soften dry skin and if it were that bad for the hair you'd think there would be a disclaimer on the box that read, "Cover your big head before getting in the tub" or "Do not under any circumstances lean your head back or doze off while using this product"...:eek:

I think I'm going to try diluting baking soda in a spray bottle and see if it kills this curiosity...cuz I don't want to be walkin' around lookin' like a skinned Calgon cat. :lachen:

sareca

Averoigne said:
Thanks ladies. I share your gut instinct. And then I ran into this on Wikipedia (but I trust you guys more:) )

From Wikipedia:

Use water softener if you are showering with hard water. Take a cup of warm water and dilute a tablespoon of powder water-softener (i.e., Calgon, 20-mule Borax, etc.). Use it first to rinse shampoo out of your hair. Rinse out the rest of shampoo with regular showers/bath water. This will rid your hair of any residue from dirt and other hair products, including stuff in your shampoo. It will not strip your hair of any natural nutrients, so feel free to use it everyday. Your hair should feel squeaky clean at this point. Condition with salon-quality conditioner.

Then I came across Calgon Moisturizing Bath Beads at Rite Aid. The ingredients are: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Pentasodium Triphosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Water, Fragrance, Isopropyl Palmitate, Mineral Oil, Aloe Vera Juice, Tocopherol Acetate and Yellow #5. I'm still waayy apprehensive about trying it, but it is formulated to soften dry skin and if it were that bad for the hair you'd think there would be a disclaimer on the box that read, "Cover your big head before getting in the tub" or "Do not under any circumstances lean your head back or doze off while using this product"...:eek:

I think I'm going to try diluting baking soda in a spray bottle and see if it kills this curiosity...cuz I don't want to be walkin' around lookin' like a skinned Calgon cat. :lachen:

:eek: Ok, I take it back.

lejardinier

I use a Jonathan Martin water filter. It's a heavy duty water filter attached to my shower head. I get it from drugstore/beauty.com. I get $20 off coupons of $100 all the time; so when I do I stock up on replacement filters.
It's expensive but it has helped me to continue with a very healthy head
of hair. I'm sure that you could find one for less if you search online.

Averoigne

Apparently the Calgon trick is well known among horse groomers:

From About Horses and Ponies Forum Members

Manes and Tails

• Mix the Calgonâ„¢ with water (one part Calgonâ„¢ to three parts water). Store in a spray bottle. It will help recondition your horse’s mane and tail. It also works well on knots. Apply liberally and work the knot out with a comb or stiff brush.

I'm still apprehensive, though. Horses are natural; I have a relaxer...:perplexed

AKA-Tude

This sorta makes sense,
but with all of the sodium-this and sodium-that,
I would be scared the salties would remove my hair as well.

Too chicken to try it (& I'll try just about anything!).

sareca

Averoigne, did you try it? I did. It works like a charm. My hair has been pitching a fit since we moved.

It worked far better than I expected. Actually, right now my hair feels like we never left. I've already made a space for it in the bathroom shower. :) Thanks for the thread. Like most of the things that have saved my hair... it never would have even occurred to me to try it.

::bighug: