Hard Water Question for No-Lye Users

McQuay30

Hello!!

I have very hard water and I use a no-lye relaxer, I use Nexxus Aloe Rid about every three weeks and follow with a moisturing shampoo also. My question is that since I get build up from the no-lye relaxer and I get build up from the hard water should I switch to a lye relaxer and then I will only have build up from the water instead of both? Or should I continue with the chelating, because this is really getting to complicated because if I chelate and then rinse my hair with the shower water I am putting the hard water minerals and so forth right back into my hair :wallbash:or if I rinse with distilled water while I am in the shower it is becoming too much of a hassle. I hope I am making since.

Aviah

When I was using a no-lye relaxer I had no problems with buildup, I would think the chelating shampoo got rid of my buildup and should do the same for you... You may need to clarify more often because of the two and while you cannot get away from the hard water without purchasing a water filter, minimizing the amount of buildup on your hair should still allow adequate moisture into the shaft...
Other ladies should chime in for more on this, but that's all I got!

McQuay30

Thanks,

I have been using a shower filter and a showerhead with the filter in it, so basically I was double filtering the water and it help some but maybe I need a better brand of filter or possibly a whole house filter along with the shower filter, something of a higher grade. I am also scared that if I chelate more often in the long run it may cause more damage due to the constant stripping of the hair and rebuilding it but maybe not. I know I am getting sick and tired and tired and sick of this hard water mess!!! It is good to hear of a no-lye user with hard water whom hair is thriving. Have you anything about needing a water softner system instead of a water filter in order to be rid of the hard water problem??:perplexed