Harlot's Dominican Hair Salon-detroit,mich

Has anyone ever been to this dominican hair salon, if so let me know how your hair turned out. I set up an appointment for this weekend.

My mom goes there. She says it's getting busier because there are only 3 dryers and more people coming to get there hair done. But I will tell you she likes her work, my mom would go to New York whenever she felt like it because she had found a stylist there that she loved. She's not going to New York on any more whims... She says Harlot uses good products and she's nice, and she likes her work. She doesn't do the doobie, unless you ask, but overall I can't tell a difference in the quality. So I'd say go. I haven't been because I don't want to get tempted with getting a relaxer, she does natural hair-but I'm in all these challenges so I can't. I think you'll be pleased. Just don't expect a "style."

I just went by there last week to inquire about getting my natural hair straightened and um....:perplexed I forgot what a "hood" shop was like.... I didn't stay long....

Maybe I would go if somebody went and baby-sat me....:look:

I'm SO SERIOUS....:ohwell:

You so boooooooooougie...! :rolleyes: :lol: I'm just playin!!!

Yah it definitely wasn't an upscale spot. But I'm payin $25 so I didn't expect tea and scones, ya know? :yep:

:blush::lachen:Not necessarily upscale, but I felt like a FOREIGNER...and I've never felt like a foreigner like that before.... Foreign re. language/culture, foreign to the techniques, etc. Kind of like how a person just drops into this country and doesn't know much about anything...but they make their way....

I would go if somebody went with me, or I could go with someone to their appt. to watch them get their hair done first....

:blush::lachen:Not necessarily upscale, but I felt like a FOREIGNER...and I've never felt like a foreigner like that before.... Foreign re. language/culture, foreign to the techniques, etc. Kind of like how a person just drops into this country and doesn't know much about anything...but they make their way....

I would go if somebody went with me, or I could go with someone to their appt. to watch them get their hair done first....

Hey RelaxerRehab you can go with me this Saturday if you're not doing anything.

Hey RelaxerRehab you can go with me this Saturday if you're not doing anything.

I can make myself available.... Please PM your time if you like....

Um....:look: so do you know what you're doing up in this place? :look::lachen:

Thank you, MsSharee!

Last edited:
LOL I feel you!! I walked in and everything STOPPED. They all looked at me like, who is this big black chick?!? :lachen: I just said 'I need a blowout'. :lol: :lol:

I just kept smiling and they were kewl... the barber shop in the front tripped me out tho. It was a million dudes lined up... I felt kinda weird but ah well.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! I was like, um, is this the right place? and it was last Friday night.... DARK!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! I was like, um, is this the right place? and it was last Friday night.... DARK!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:RelaxerRehab, you should have sent out the LHCF symbol.(Don't know what that is but I think it would be pretty with lots of lights and sparkles) Somebody would have gone with you. Okay now I want to go to observe. :look: ANDDDDDD Don't be venturing off into certain "areas" all willy nilly especially in the dark.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:RelaxerRehab, you should have sent out the LHCF symbol.(Don't know what that is but I think it would be pretty with lots of lights and sparkles) Somebody would have gone with you. Okay now I want to go to observe. :look: ANDDDDDD Don't be venturing off into certain "areas" all willy nilly especially in the dark.

OMGoodness!!!!:blush: We NEEEEEEEED one of those!!!!!!!!!!:lachen:

I'm SO SERIOUS....:look: 'cause I would have used it....

And I ain't scared.... (well not THAT scared)....:rolleyes::grin:

LOL. I went. The people were nice to me... but you could tell they didnt know WHY the heck I was even there.

The one girl who did my hair (Maria) Long haired lightskinned girl, ripped through my hair with a flat iron and tore a lot of hair out....

But my hair was soft... and straight.:look:

Yup, I went there a few weeks ago. :yep: I had a good experience overall. Got a rollerset and flat iron (next time I will get a blowout). Paid $25 for everything, was there for less than 2hrs. I went at around 1030a on a Saturday.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. :)

Too bad you arent in jersey cuz they charge between 15-20 for that depending on where you go. I got a deep condition/rollerset and blow out ( cuz im 6 weeks post...bootcamp doesnt start till the first so I'm in the clear lol) for $20.

BUMPING for more responses!

I just scheduled my mom, BFF, and myself for this. LOL! We're all pretty booshie...lol... Glad I read this threa so we all don't run back to the car at once..lOL!

Harlet is a nice lady. Yea, it's hoodish, but what do you expect around that area? Anything in the vicinity of the bridge IMO, is questionable and I wouldn't go there after dusk, even CCW. Her aunt has a BSS around the corner and she's sweet too.

Thanks Eisani.. I'm not really familiar with the exact area. When I google it I see 94 and Michigan appear on the map. I know it's downtown..but we all are going on a Sunday at 11 a.m... so should be ok... It's pretty far from me so this is just an option for a hair emergency! Plus I wanted to try las dominicanas..

But thanks for pointing out it is the hood... I'll make sure to wear gym shoes..lol..kidding...

I'm excited about it! But still I want to hear some more opinions..if they're the only dominican known salon..trying to figure out why is it not like off the hook? I pay $55 weekly and this is 1/2 of that... not that I would substitute it like that.. I like my stylists and downtown is entirely too far (even to be traveling when gas is down)..

thanks kels... LOL... I just reread it again..and Eisani said even CCW... ROFLMAO... that really cracked me up. I'm sure we will like it!!! Let's not get it twisted; I've been to some pretty broke down on the inside (bowls don't work, leaks, dryers don't work, not clean) nice looking on the outside salons in Southfield.. so I never use "area" as a determination as to how the salon will look on the inside...

Chile, just speak to them in your unknown tongue...they would be like:blush::lachen:

^^^ I'm not Eisani, but....

It *is* off the hook -- for the Dominicans. :lol: I'm not sure how well known it is in the black community; I think (just bein real) the majority of black women would rather go to an 'elite' salon than travel to a not great neighborhood, ya know?

But I LOVED my hair when I went to Harlets. :D I had a really good experience. Like I said in my post before - the barbershop up front is a little off putting, just because I didn't realize it was a barbershop too, lol! But that was my only gripe; I felt like for $25, I got what I came for: bangin' hair. :yep:

I agree. It's what I was going to say in my other post but deleted it. A lot of people in the area know nothing about it. Then too, 60% of the city still wears sculptured pony tails and crispy curls :lachen:

thanks kels... LOL... I just reread it again..and Eisani said even CCW... ROFLMAO... that really cracked me up. I'm sure we will like it!!! Let's not get it twisted; I've been to some pretty broke down on the inside (bowls don't work, leaks, dryers don't work, not clean) nice looking on the outside salons in Southfield.. so I never use "area" as a determination as to how the salon will look on the inside...
What, I'm licensed :look:. For real though, I hope you have a good experience. Nice people :yep:.

Back