Has a 1st time Henna Nightmare turned into a 2nd time Love Affair?

yodie

I tried Henna once and it made my hair terribly dry. I was afraid that my hair was going to start breaking and I vowed to never Henna again.

Maybe the nightmare has lessed with time, but I'm thinking of trying it again. I LOVED that reddish brown color that Henna gave me and I want it back.

First time around I mixed my Henna with yogurt. :nono: Guess that was way too much protein.

Have you improved your Henna experience? Please tell me how.
Any of you ladies get that gorgeous red color from Henna or just regular hair color?

~CurlyNikki~

I don't have the color so much, but I love the shine, strength and sleekness I get! I've been having an affair with henna, lol, for a year now. Yes, it makes my hair dry upon rinsing, but as soon as I apply my DT, that straw-like feeling fades away and reveals silky, strong tresses! I'm use to the straw feeling now, I just tell myself, 'this too shall pass", lol, and it does, in a matter of minutes. I only mix mine with green tea and a little honey. That's it. That's all. I use Jamila henna from mehandi.com

hth and happy henna'ing :D

AngieB

I mix a cheapie conditioner in with henna (I've been using VO5 since I stocked up at the last .67 cent sale) and have had no problem with drying. I do follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner. I too love the brown/red color and it covers the greys wonderfully.

yodie

I don't have the color so much, but I love the shine, strength and sleekness I get! I've been having an affair with henna, lol, for a year now. Yes, it makes my hair dry upon rinsing, but as soon as I apply my DT, that straw-like feeling fades away and reveals silky, strong tresses! I'm use to the straw feeling now, I just tell myself, 'this too shall pass", lol, and it does, in a matter of minutes. I only mix mine with green tea and a little honey. That's it. That's all. I use Jamila henna from mehandi.com

hth and happy henna'ing :D

What does green tea do for henna?

Your hair is gorgeous. This is exactly how I want my 4a/b hair, but I'm not sure it's doable. I'm natural.
What is DT?

I mix a cheapie conditioner in with henna (I've been using VO5 since I stocked up at the last .67 cent sale) and have had no problem with drying. I do follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner. I too love the brown/red color and it covers the greys wonderfully.

Thanks. Maybe the yogurt was way too much protein. Do you let your henna sit before applying? How long do you leave it on your hair?

AngieB

I mix it with water and let it release overnight and add the conditioner and EVOO before I put it on. I leave it on about 3 hours.

yodie

I mix it with water and let it release overnight and add the conditioner and EVOO before I put it on. I leave it on about 3 hours.

Thanks.
Do you add boiling water? hot water? How much? Been over a year since I used it.

MJ

I have better results with it when I mix it water. It leaves my hair feeling stronger and thicker. It tends to leave my hair feeling stiff and dry when I use ACV or lemon juice. I may try the green tea recipe someone mentioned, since it's not acidic.

~CurlyNikki~

Thanks Yodie! I have 4a/3c hair, and the henna has helped me tremendously!

You can use green or chamomile tea. Both are very slightly acidic, so they take the place of the lemon juice or ACV. Plus, green tea (and chamomile) is a natural moisturize!. I steep 4 bags in 2 cups of filtered or spring water and let it cool down to about luke warm. The warm tea and the slightly acidic makeup release the dye pretty quickly and it gives off a great stain!