Has anyone ever used the boxed haircolor kits for African-American hair?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I have purchased a coloring kit to dye my hair with. I have never dyed my hair before and want a change. My dark brown (virgin hair) is soooo bland. Help do you think that it would be ok to try or should get my hair professionally dyed/highlighted? Ladies help a sista out....anything on this subject would be helpful.:)

Hold up lol also I want info from those who have tried it and what their experience was like.

Oh yeah I should be uploading pictures in to my album so everyone can finally have looksie at my hair sometime soon.

Tonya

Hi Vickie!
I used Textures and Tones..Bronze for my hair and I have had no problems what so ever.:)

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Thanks tonya! I am alittle scared about dye being in my hair and what the end result will be afterward. Did you have experience any damage and what did you do to your hair after dyeing it? Thanx for being encouraging! :D

DangerouslyShy

I would personally go to a color technician to get it done...

some of the boxed colors are very harsh and drying...I had my hair dyed and it dried my hair out something terrible but since I have been taking care of my hair moisturizing daily it has been growing and is now very healthy...

carolina_belle

I used the African Pride highlights kit. The color is gorgeous, but it is drying. The first time I used the box, it caused breakage because I didn't know anything about protein conditioners for strength. I don't know if I will use the kit again because overprocessing is a problem during the retouch. My hair has made such strides that I think I will let a professional colorist touch it up.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
ohhh dangerouslyshy thats exactly what I'm am afraid of :ohwell: Since joining the forum my hair has flourished and is making a turn in the right direction. I guess I could check a stylist out for some professional help.

Tonya

Well I am pretty good with hair. I consulted ith Tracy for some tips and this time i have experienced no breakage. When I had it done at a salon however, I did expereince breakage. If you look in my album u can see that even with color my hair has remained thick as ever.:)

ms_kenesha

I wouldn't reccomend the African Pride color, most if not everyone I know *on the board* that has used this brand has had extreme breakage.

However I used the Textures & Tones Bronze as well and it didn't cause breakage to my hair, either and my hair has stayed thick, too. :)

Tracy

I think Textures and Tones is the best of the best when it comes to color. If your hair is brown (as opposed to very dark brown or black), you should get a nice result too....

Just make sure you purchase enough color to adequately cover all of your hair .....if your hair is shoulder length or longer you'll need two boxes at least.

And choose the color wisely. You don't want to go too light, right off the bat....

Highlights are harder to do at home. I would go full head color if I'm doing it at home, or if you're dead set on highlights take the color you want to a place that will apply what you bring, so that you avoid them using bleach or developer to get the color you want.

Many stylists prefer to use bleach, because your color "lifts" (lightens) more quickly that way. But it's harder on the hair.

Good Luck! :)

Lindy

Tracy said:
I think Textures and Tones is the best of the best when it comes to color. If your hair is brown (as opposed to very dark brown or black), you should get a nice result too....

Co-signing... I've used Tex. & Tones Bronze for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems at all.

OT: Heeeeyyyy, Tracy!! :wave: Where ya been, girl?? Nice to "see" ya!! :)

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Is it unanimous that Textures and Tones hasn't harmed anyone's hair? The "Bronze" color from this line seems to be popular among u ladies...is it the highlighting kit b/c lol I think I bought that too and was to scared to use it :confused: . Would it look good on dark dark brown hair?

Tracy

Hey cutes! Been studyin' for tha dag on bar... :rolleyes:

But my hair is a hot mess so I came to get some inspiration from the beauteous heads here.... :D :cool:

Missed you too darlin'! :)

getmoore

I think I used a revlon color kit back in 2002. Almost all of my hair broke off. Of course I did'nt know a lot about my hair back then. But that experience made me not want to color my hair ever again! Maybe you should let a professional color your hair....

Lindy

vikkisecret said:
Is it unanimous that Textures and Tones hasn't harmed anyone's hair? The "Bronze" color from this line seems to be popular among u ladies...is it the highlighting kit b/c lol I think I bought that too and was to scared to use it :confused: . Would it look good on dark dark brown hair?

No, it's not the highlighting kit... And yes, my natural color is dark brown and the Bronze lightens my hair up nicely... :) If you decide to do it, just be prepared to give your hair a lot of extra TLC... I do protein treatments and deep conditioning with heat just about every time I wash my hair (weekly). Good luck!!

Tracy

I did the same thing as Lindy does care-wise and it never harmed my hair. I'm sure there are people that didn't like T&T....it's all a matter of your hair and how it responds so there's not going to be any way to "guarantee" that it will work the same for you.

But it's got the best track record on the board as far as permanent color goes. MOST people who use it, like it.

HTH :)

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Thanxs Lindy...I thought I got those two mixed up. I just don't want my hair to break off.

I just got a touch-up but I need to do a protein treatment and want the add the color too. How long do I wait to does these and when?

Tracy

And bear in mind all of my WORST color experiences (and I've had a lot) have been with a "professional colorist" or "licensed stylist".....

so do with that info what you will.... ;)

Lindy

vikkisecret said:
Thanxs Lindy...I thought I got those two mixed up. I just don't want my hair to break off.

I just got a touch-up but I need to do a protein treatment and want the add the color too. How long do I wait to does these and when?

I would do a protein treatment at my first wash after the touchup, and you can do your color the next time you wash (or any time thereafter) :). That's my usual routine. Works for me!! :up:

LBoogie

I've used Dark & Lovely Jet Black a zillion times. I used the african pride hi-lites once (loved it!). But I didnt want to try to touch them up and my ends were looking rugged and easily noticed because of the light color (with the hi-lites). I'm thinking about using it again once I'm confident my hair is "reapired."

Cincysweetie

I have too, I had a bad experience, my roots turned orange! I used a Dark & Lovely color (sun-kissed something...) My FORMER-hairstylist used too light of a color and left it on too long. My hair was soooo damaged after that but finally I'm alright! Be careful!

Last edited: