Has anyone heard of a hair softener?

Shiloh

I have natural hair and I was looking for something to soften it or make it more manageable without changing my texture I guess making it less tangly and dry. My mom told me she got a softener applied to her hair but she didn't notice much of a difference. I think that might be because her hair is a TWA and she doesn't manipulate it at all. So I was wondering if anyone else has heard about a softener and could clue me in.

Thanks

Shiloh said:
I have natural hair and I was looking for something to soften it or make it more manageable without changing my texture I guess making it less tangly and dry. My mom told me she got a softener applied to her hair but she didn't notice much of a difference. I think that might be because her hair is a TWA and she doesn't manipulate it at all. So I was wondering if anyone else has heard about a softener and could clue me in.

Thanks

You know, I was just reading about these last night. They are discussing it on a forum for curly hair. Anyways, it seems to me that it uses the same chemicals as a relaxer or texturizer...just at a much lower concentration. I saw someone who had nice results with it, but she went to an expensive salon to have it done. The biggest difference that I noticed was less frizz.

Shiloh, do you moisturize? If so, what products have you used? If not, moisturizing your hair should soften it.

I conditioner wash and use shea butter and/or WGO but sometimes if I put my hair in a puff and don't take it down the next day it will loc. I guess it's not as much dry as it is prone to loc. I just wanted it to feel better and be easier to comb and brush.

Shiloh said:
I conditioner wash and use shea butter and/or WGO but sometimes if I put my hair in a puff and don't take it down the next day it will loc. I guess it's not as much dry as it is prone to loc. I just wanted it to feel better and be easier to comb and brush.
You may need to moisturize your hair more often to prevent dryness. Does the shea butter and WGO make you hair soft? You may want to try a liquid moisturizer like S-Curl or Sta Sof Fro. Also, if you are going to conditioner wash often, you should use a lighter product so you won't have a lot a buildup which can cause dryness as well. HTH!

A hair softener is pretty much a relaxer/texturizer. I found this out because Ouidad offers these softeners. I agree, with Poohbear to try different moisturizers. I personally love the Qhemet's line, esp. the alma oil heavy cream, its softens and moisturizes beautifully!

Back