Has anyone heard of this book?

rayne

I came across this book while doing a search for black hairstyles. Apparently it is intended for cosmetologists and includes stuff like techniques for doing hair e.g., relaxers, conditioning, pressing, etc. Has anyone heard of it?

Beautiful Black Styles

Armyqt

Hi Rayne, I've never seen this book before. But I have been searching the net for techniques used to apply a corrective relaxer, but to no avail. You just gave me an idea to go to the bookstore and see what I can find in there. It looks like a good book, but a little pricey. Thanks for the link.

pebbles

Hi guys,

Armyqt, there's a book called African-Caribbean Hairdressing, second edition by Sandra Gittens. It has a section on the procedure for doing corrective relaxers, complete with pictures. It's a beauty school textbook, but I like it a lot. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rayne, thanks for that information. I'm going to get that book. I'm starting a library of black hair care books and that book looks interesting. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Armyqt

Thanks for the info Pebbles. I'm gonna check it out at the bookstore today. My head looks like a jungle right now (2 relaxers underprocessed and 2 months new growth). My mom saw my newgrowth this morning and was like /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. "You need to get a relaxer, your hair is going to start breaking off". But i've got that under control. No breakage here. Anyway, I want to be informed on how this procedure actually works so I can be certain the hairdresser is doing this right when I do get it done. Thanks for the info /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

rayne

Thanks for the recommendation Pebs!! I've been looking for beauty school books, but never knew where to find them. I think I'm going to check both books out...I just hope they can help me to do something with my head /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Armyqt

Pebbles, girl I went to Barnes and Noble today looking for the book and they did not have it (not surprised). Not only that, they couldn't order it /images/graemlins/mad.gif. Okay, now I'm mad. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I really don't like this place cause I have to order everthing off the internet. They don't cater to the black community AT ALL. If I wasn't in the daggone military, I would not be here/images/graemlins/nono.gif . Girl it's pathetic. The UPS man and I are on a first name basis, and my neighbors probably think I have some sick fetish. Can you tell I'm mad about this. Dag girl, I'm gonna try and get up to ATL and pick this book up soon (before my relaxer). Anyways, I'll let ya know when I do pick it up.

AAAHHHHH!! Feels better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Girl it's pathetic. The UPS man and I are on a first name basis, and my neighbors probably think I have some sick fetish. Can you tell I'm mad about this. Dag girl, I'm gonna try and get up to ATL and pick this book up soon (before my relaxer). Anyways, I'll let ya know when I do pick it up.

AAAHHHHH!! Feels better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Armyqt, that part had me lauging! /images/graemlins/grin.gif What could the neighbors be thinking?? /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif I got the book at a Barnes and Nobles here! /images/graemlins/confused.gif Let me know when you find it./images/graemlins/wave.gif