Hats or Beanies as Protective Styles?

luxe.li.

My hair is too short for buns, twists and braids. I'm not going to wear bantu knots out in public just because I look silly and my hair is too short for bantu knot outs, and braid outs, but I have my hair twisted now and I will take them down in a few days. Until then I will be wearing a beanie, like I said before my hair is too short for twists, meaning I can't wear my twists out in public and feel pretty.....

Maybe I can get some beautiful scarves and wear them too, but until then I'mma keep my hair hidden under a beanie.

I don't wear wigs, I don't want a sew-in, and I don't want braids just because I like to be able to see my own hair.....

So the question is are beanies or hats considered protective or do they actually damage more?

JessCNU

I like beanies :) I would think they would be ok as long as the inside has a silk or satin lining.

Solitude

I started a thread about this back in Sept. There weren't a whole lot of responses, but it may be helpful: http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=285281

ETA: I never wear my slouchy beanies b/c I just don't like the way the look, but when I do (rarely) I wear a satin bonnet underneath because they are wool. I bought a winter coat with a satin-lined hood.

luxe.li.

yeah I have two from H&M and I'm going to wear them on days that I do not feel like showing my hair......

isawstars

i plan on doing the same! Just puting a silk scarf on my hair then putting a cute warm hat over it.

luxe.li.

hmmm I might silk scarf it up but i show some hair through my beanie because its a slouchy beanie and that's the purpose, I think scarfing it up is doing to much for me just because I don't want any slippage but I'll try anything once.

morehairplease

hmmm I might silk scarf it up but i show some hair through my beanie because its a slouchy beanie and that's the purpose, I think scarfing it up is doing to much for me just because I don't want any slippage but I'll try anything once.

Hi there,

You could place a wig cap over the silk scarf and that may make it feel more secure. I was thinking about hair pins but they would show. What about placing one at the sides(front and back) and seeing how that helps.

hths,
tishee

RegaLady

This has been my protective style except I wear cornrows underneath and a silk scarf. I really like it. I feel more comfortable in it what I do in a weave, and it is cheaper than getting braids and stuff. When I get home I just pull it off and when I go somewhere I put it on, do my make up and put on some cute earrings, and go. I will be testing this out to the club tomorrow, so pray for me. LOL!

mscocoface

Are these to hot for summer?

I think depending on the yarn not really. I see them all the time in LA during the summer particularly at the festivals.

I am going to be one busy lady making all of these for the rest of the year.

I made one of these in October for breast cancer awareness month, it was really nice looking.

mscocoface

Those are so pretty. How much are you charging to make them for others?

I had not even thought about selling them. Let me do a tester and post it and we can talk then. I will PM you when I finish one this week.

I have some other things that I have done in my fotki and it has all been a labor of love. I guess I could sell them.

dlewis

I had not even thought about selling them. Let me do a tester and post it and we can talk then. I will PM you when I finish one this week.

I have some other things that I have done in my fotki and it has all been a labor of love. I guess I could sell them.

I'm interested.:yep:

MusicandWine

I bought some slouchy hats from a few different places. I wasn't much of a hat wearing person before but I love them now, I just make sure to wear a silk scarf under the hat and I'm good to go. I'm not wearing hats as a protective style, I'm just doing it because there are days my hair needs a rest from being played with.