Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession? (long)

Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession?

• Yes, but I just sucked it up.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Yes, but I did what I wanted with my hair anyway.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Yes, but I agree that certain styles are inappropriate in the workplace.

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • No.

Votes: 22 22.7%

• Total voters
I would absolutely love to allow my hair to grow out while wearing braids, as I've done this in the past with fantastic results, and I love how braids looks on me. My issue is that while *I* don't believe that braids have an "unprofessional" look, I know that some non-black employers (and maybe some black ones too), may discriminate against me just because my hair is in what is considered an "ethnic" style to some. I'm looking for work as an attorney, which can be a very conservative field, depending on where you work. I had microbraids while working at a firm while I was in school, and everyone there loved them, but I didn't get them until after I was already working there for awhile (not purposely, that's just how it worked out).

Once I get a job, and I feel that I've proven my worth to my employer, I plan on wearing my hair however I like. But until then, I just find it rather frustrating that this is even a consideration for me. :mad: As long as my hair is neat and well maintained, I don't think anyone should care what I'm doing with it . In the meantime, I'm thinking about wearing cornrows, since my friend will do them for me, and I won't feel bad taking them out for an interview, since the cost and time to do them would be minimal.

I know I hear about problems like this from time on the news. The last thing I remember hearing was about cops and/or transit workers (I think it was both, in two separate incidents), being told that they couldn't wear dreads, and would have to cut them, or give up their jobs. Have any of you ever experienced this? I know that I've seen a few other attorneys here, and I'm particularly interested in your experiences.

ETA: If you believe that certain styles are inappropriate in the workplace, no matter how well groomed, could you please give examples? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
This is a really touchy subject.

I totally understand where you are coming from even though I have never been out in the "real workforce."

IMHO there are some styles that are just not professional and/or suitable for the work place. I think neat corn rows are (unless you have dandruff, gel build-up, grease build-up, and/or they stink).

I guess this is one of those areas where you have to make the judgement call for yourself. So I voted: Yes, but I agree that certain styles are inappropriate in the workplace.

I've gone through this time to time. Like I'd LOVE to just wear cornrows all week long and not take em out until the weekend when I wash and style and then Sunday cornrow it right back up, & repeat. I would love to take a year off where I can do whatever the heck I want to my hair, I'd think I'd stress less about it and reach my goals faster not having to worry about making it look 'professional'.

As a teacher, I find that I'm restricted by my profession. Personally, I don't think that some hairstyles are appropriate for my position. I would like to wear a braided mohawk, but of course that is out of the question. I thought I would be able to wear this style in the summer, but I have and will be working as an administrator during this time.

I do wear braided styles such as cornrows to the side. However, when at work I style it in a bun and wear it down only after hours. I think that braidouts is pushing it a bit, but I wear that style as well. When I become an administrator;) , I will no longer wear braidouts.:(

Re: Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession? (lo

amwcah said:
As a teacher, I find that I'm restricted by my profession. Personally, I don't think that some hairstyles are appropriate for my position. I would like to wear a braided mohawk, but of course that is out of the question. I thought I would be able to wear this style in the summer, but I have and will be working as an administrator during this time.

I do wear braided styles such as cornrows to the side. However, when at work I style it in a bun and wear it down only after hours. I think that braidouts is pushing it a bit, but I wear that style as well. When I become an administrator;) , I will no longer wear braidouts.:(

Ok, so now that you've brought up the braided mohawk, I guess I can see how some styles can be inappropriate. My uncreative mind never even thought of anything like :).

This is really enlightening, as to what people think of certain styles. I never would have given a braidout a second thought, since it just look like wavy hair to me.

BTW, congats on being on the administrator track! :yep:

I voted no.

I've never had a "real" job though. I went from giving music lessons to being a stay-at-home-mom, to owning my own businesses. My hair was never an issue for doing any of those things.

I do make a concentrated effort to look neat when I go to meet new clients (car dealerships). A bun is always safe, sometimes a single braid down the back.

When I go to meet clients for our other business (mostly bands and other artists) I wear whatever I want and do whatever I want with my hair. A wild braidout is an attention getter for sure.:lol: I can't tell you the number of guys (mostly white) in bands who have admired my hair when I wear it wild and ask how they can get theirs the same way.:lachen:

Boy oh boy...do I feel your pain!!! The whole reason for my hair journey to healthy hair is because I was in my second year in law school and my hair was seriously jacked up. I had a few internships under my belt, during the fall and summer of my first year. But the big mama jamma internship which came the winter of my second year was in a high profile entertainment law firm, predominantly with black attorneys....and I felt the pressure. After working there for about a month and a half, I showed up one day with a beautiful head of braids, human hair, curled like a rollerset do. I got so many compliments in school, on the subway, and on the street prior to going into the office that day. But when I walked into the office, they were not impressed...everyone from the founding partner down to the marketing undergrad goffer intern.

Months later on my first job as a prosecutor, I interviewed with them with a fly-*** wig. The State Attorney himself complimented my hair...I am tellin' you all: the wig was FLY. Then when I finally started on my first day, a few weeks later, I came back with my own hair that was neck length...even though my short do was neatly coifed...it still was not as glammed up as the wig was...I saw his eyes in surprise when he saw. I was cute but not diva.

Another example: there was this brillant AA young man, top of his class, law review, moot court, articulate, good looking, poised, etc. Anyway, 3rd year, while all his less superior white classmates already had jobs waiting after they passed the bar, he had to ponder over the difficult decision to cut off his gawgus dreadlocks.....after a while, snip snip.

I personally do not subscribe to that form of discrimination, but certain jobs are all about image. From the moment you step into the room, erbody is sizing you up: client, opposing clients, attorneys, coworkers, court employees, office staff, partners, judges.

Bottom line. Hair matters. Good luck with whatever you do.

Last edited:
Re: Have you ever felt like your hair options were restricted by your profession? (lo

LadyEsquire said:
Boy oh boy...do I feel your pain!!! The whole reason for my hair journey to healthy hair is because I was in my second year in law school and my hair was seriously jacked up. I had a few internships under my belt, during the fall and summer of my first year. But the big mama jamma internship which came the winter of my second year was in a high profile entertainment law firm, predominantly with black attorneys....and I felt the pressure. After working there for about a month and a half, I showed up one day with a beautiful head of braids, human hair, curled like a rollerset do. I got so many compliments in school, on the subway, and on the street prior to going into the office that day. But when I walked into the office, they were not impressed...everyone from the founding partner down to the marketing undergrad goffer intern.

Months later on my first job as a prosecutor, I interviewed with them with a fly-*** wig. The State Attorney himself complimented my hair...I am tellin' you all: the wig was FLY. Then when I finally started on my first day, a few weeks later, I came back with my own hair that was neck length...even though my short do was neatly coifed...it still was not as glammed up as the wig was...I saw his eyes in surprise when he saw. I was cute but not diva.

Another example: there was this brillant AA young man, top of his class, law review, moot court, articulate, good looking, poised, etc. Anyway, 3rd year, while all his less superior white classmates already had jobs waiting after they passed the bar, he had to ponder over the difficult decision to cut off his gawgus dreadlocks.....after a while, snip snip.

I personally do not subscribe to that form of discrimination, but certain jobs are all about image. From the moment you step into the room, erbody is sizing you up: client, opposing clients, attorneys, coworkers, court employees, office staff, partners, judges.

Thanks a lot for sharing LadyEsquire. I've already decide to stick with the "safer" styles, probably mostly rollerwraps ... this probably would not have bothered me so much before my hair started to break a little, causing me to want to let it rest. I just wanted to know that I wasn't alone in feel this apprehension.

I work in corporate America (Fortune 500 company) and you are right, some styles are NOT appropriate for work. However, your hair doesn't have to look "as close to white as possible" in order to be presentable. Honestly, in an all white environment, as long as your hair is neat and doesn't draw attention, white folks don't notice our hair nearly as much as we think they do. Cornrows that are styled into a neat bun at the nape of your neck is indeed a professional style because I've seen other professional black women wearing it. Also, microbraids can also be professional (however, I wouldn't wear them cascading down, but rather in a neat updo). Any type of hair can look professional or unprofessional depending upon how it is styled. Heck, the president of the Xerox corporation is a black woman who sports a lovely salt n' pepper TWA.

InsatiableMe said:
Ok, so now that you've brought up the braided mohawk, I guess I can see how some styles can be inappropriate. My uncreative mind never even thought of anything like :).

This is really enlightening, as to what people think of certain styles. I never would have given a braidout a second thought, since it just look like wavy hair to me.

BTW, congats on being on the administrator track! :yep:

The kids would like it though!;)
Thanks!:D

Ya'll know I am a rebel. I feel I should wear my hair the way God intended it to be. I don't feel I need to straighten it or perm it for it to be acceptable. Sometimes it is really us with the problem not them. I straighten my hair but I ended up wearing it back in a twist out. My boss saw my twist out and said it was his favorite hair style,

Yes, I feel that my hair options are restricted. I have to look "serious" in my job, an unconventional hairstyle would be a huge distraction for everyone. To me it's not about natural or relaxed, there are lots of conventional natural styles and lots of unconventional relaxed styles. This is great for me because it really helps me concentrate on wearing simple buns and twists and thinking hard before I do something different.

This is how feel about a relaxer. I want to be natural so BAD but i am just so tempted to relax the hair! I know how funky people feel about braids w/ extension or weaves. "Fake" hair has a lot of negative connotations behind it. I mean, it seems like "white" america really doesn't care how your hair looks as long as it is growing out of your scalp and its long (the impression i have recieved from some people). But, i see a "nappalicious" sister with gorgeous thick locks and well... i fall in love all over again.

One of my girlfriends is an attorney, very sharp, a stunner and the cutest head of dreads I've ever seen. She keeps them well manicured...never seen locs like her's ever. They are super healthy looking, shiny, and her natural hair color is like a blue black. And they all the same size too! I don't know how she keeps them like that. She does wear buns from time to time but more often than not her locs are down.

When she got her last job thats how she looked, however she's proven as a lawyer and have people right and left offering her jobs.

However I consider her more of an exception than a rule.

Most trying to get into law firms have to conform to the standard of the firm they're shooting for. The hot shots and superstars...well...they already know they're gonna be working somewhere. There's some leeway but its small I think.

I myself tend to play it safe and wear buns, because of the easy care and no styling stress necessary. Thats something I can dress it up when I want or keep it severe. Being that I have a very interesting mix of clients from artists to fortune 500 companies, I tend to just keep it nice and neutral because its a lot less stressful for me. I'd rather they know me more by the quality of work and workers I bring them and keep my looks in the background.

-A

I feel restricted a bit.

I do wear braids in my hair and my phony afropuff when I am stretching:look:

My mouth is watering to get the following hairstyles
  • Braided Faux Hawk or any faux hawk those things are HOT
  • Sexy cornrows with some nice arched eyebrows
  • Kinky twist
but I won't because of my job. It isn't just White people that you have to worry about either other Black coworkers will look at you like "Don't embarass us....you should know the rules"

Microbraids and dreads I have found are generally acceptable. I still get dumb comments from White coworkers like "Is that all your hair?" or "Can you wash it?" but for the most part it isn't as exotic as the other styles above.

I think afros in my organization are still seen as a novelty and not understood much

I don't see it so much as racism because a faux hawk is not appropriate for anyone black or white and cornrows though they can look professional are still not as acceptable. Kinky twist are okay I think they just make me look too young and not as professional.

Last edited:
i waited until i got the job before i started experimenting with my hair. i think this topic truly tests a firm's diversity initiatives. no one @ my firm [top accounting firm] batted an eye when i wore kinky twists as an intern, some of my co-workers have beautiful long dreadlocks. this showed to me that my firm they talked the talk and walked the walk.

i think there should be a middle ground, of course we should always look professional, but these companies/firms should also start adding 'ethnic' styles to what is considered acceptable in the workplace.

I work in the legal field as well and i was concerned about the same thing when I was looking for a job. Especially since my hair is natural which opens a whole other can of worms. Personally, I feel like as long as your hair is neat and well groomed it should not be a problem. And of course there are some styles that are professional and others that are not. For instance, I wouldn't go to work with a huge afro or some bantu knots. Maybe some cornrow styles. I toned down some of my colors. Even with my big curly hair I try to tone it down for the daytime.

I did have braids when I got called for the initial interview for my job. I had just gotten them in. But I took them out after about a month because I didn't want to keep going on interviews with braids. I didn't want something as trivial as my hair style to interfere. On the 2nd interview I didn't have them. Once I got to my job, it was no big deal. They were pretty lax about hair styles. They were stuffy about too many other things. I think that you'll just have to wait and get a feel for what the office is like after being there for a while. And then maybe you can experiment with your hair. You might be surprised that the white people like it more than the black people. It always seems like we get the most flack about our hair from the other black people.

No. But then again, I'm fairly conservative by nature (when it comes to hair). I was never into the unique colors, the whimsical hair styles, etc. I've had extension or weave hair about five times in my life. I do not consider styles like cornrows, kinky twists, twists, locs, braids as unprofessional (unless they are too long, too unkempt). As a line manager, I'm in the position of being on the hiring panels within my unit, and basically, I only notice black women's hair when it's obviously out of control. An obvious wig or weave, I'll notice. Hair styles past their prime, I notice. We had a natural woman interview even today (entry level position), and the only reason I noticed her hair was because she and I have similar textures, but for some reason, she'd decided to style it half pulled back/half poofy. :look: Bad decision for an interview, IMO. But, she still rated in my top three, because she knew her stuff and would be a great asset to the team.

I'm in marketing, by the way. I still believe that your personality, your interviewing skills, work habits, experience, your passion, and your knowledge/intelligence are more important to MOST interviewers/hiring managers. Your appearance matters if it's outrageous (out of step with normally accepted practices) or if you're deficient in any of the above other factors. The people who ranked highest for us interviewed well (listened and answered the questions appropriately), seemed to have a "passion" for the position and the industry, and were pleasant people we wouldn't mind being around 45 hours weekly.

trimbride said:
I feel restricted a bit.

I do wear braids in my hair and my phony afropuff when I am stretching:look:

My mouth is watering to get the following hairstyles
  • Braided Faux Hawk or any faux hawk those things are HOT
  • Sexy cornrows with some nice arched eyebrows
  • Kinky twist
but I won't because of my job. It isn't just White people that you have to worry about either other Black coworkers will look at you like "Don't embarass us....you should know the rules"

Microbraids and dreads I have found are generally acceptable. I still get dumb comments from White coworkers like "Is that all your hair?" or "Can you wash it?" but for the most part it isn't as exotic as the other styles above.

I think afros in my organization are still seen as a novelty and not understood much

I don't see it so much as racism because a faux hawk is not appropriate for anyone black or white and cornrows though they can look professional are still not as acceptable. Kinky twist are okay I think they just make me look too young and not as professional.
LOL. I never have understood why they ask if it's all my hair, when clearly my hair is no where near the length of the micros I've had. I'd like to think that cornrows with a bun would be acceptable, but I know it's not everywhere. When my hair is long enough, I won't mind just wearing a regular bun for a protective style. I've just got to get to the right length.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I work in the legal field as well and i was concerned about the same thing when I was looking for a job. Especially since my hair is natural which opens a whole other can of worms. Personally, I feel like as long as your hair is neat and well groomed it should not be a problem. And of course there are some styles that are professional and others that are not. For instance, I wouldn't go to work with a huge afro or some bantu knots. Maybe some cornrow styles. I toned down some of my colors. Even with my big curly hair I try to tone it down for the daytime.

I did have braids when I got called for the initial interview for my job. I had just gotten them in. But I took them out after about a month because I didn't want to keep going on interviews with braids. I didn't want something as trivial as my hair style to interfere. On the 2nd interview I didn't have them. Once I got to my job, it was no big deal. They were pretty lax about hair styles. They were stuffy about too many other things. I think that you'll just have to wait and get a feel for what the office is like after being there for a while. And then maybe you can experiment with your hair. You might be surprised that the white people like it more than the black people. It always seems like we get the most flack about our hair from the other black people.

This is exactly how I feel. It's funny, I just realize that in my life, since I was 16, I've only ever worked with about 10 black people :eek:. I don't know, maybe it's because I've never worked in very large organizations, but now that I think about it, it's so funny to me. Still, I have gotten the impression from people just in general that black people will be just as judgmental, if not more so of our own hair.

Good topic. I have just recently gone through the interviewing process and I put my natural hair in a bun on interviews. I just don't want the interviewer to concentrate on my big puff rather than the words coming out my mouth. I plan to continue the conservative hairstyles at my new job until I get the "lay of the land" and slowly unleash the hair.

I worked at a Fortune 500 company before going back to school and transitioned to natural by wearing various braids and twist styles. Honestly, I think that the black folks at work paid more attention and had more to say than the white folks. I can't say that I have been restricted because I think I'm fairly conservative already with hairstyles, but I have felt self conscious when wearing a new style to work a time or two. I've seen plenty of very professional TWAs though.

I work in Academia and do not feel that my hair styling options are restricted. All of "us" in my office are natural, from afros to dreads, so I don't feel out of place wearing a braidout or that type of style. It's nice not to have to worry about hair in this position.

I am in a conservative field as well (pharmaceutical sales) and I tend to err on the side of caution. When I interviewed for my position, I had a weave (shorter than my natural hair) that was cut and flipped like Wendy Raquel Robinson in Two Can Play that Game. When I went for training, I had a roller set. By the time my boss worked with me for the first time, I had corn rows (two layers and curled on the ends). Though they are mid back, I never wear them down while working. I pin them up in a butterfly clip or wrap in a low bun.

My boss (conservative orthodox Jew) asked how long it took me to "get my hair like that" on our first ride along and then "are you going to keep your hair like that all summer" on our second work contact. I simply replied yes I am and left it at that.

If your hair is neatly maintained, I don't think it should be an issue. It would still be wise to wait until you "get in" before you step out too much.

InsatiableMe said:
I would absolutely love to allow my hair to grow out while wearing braids, as I've done this in the past with fantastic results, and I love how braids looks on me. My issue is that while *I* don't believe that braids have an "unprofessional" look, I know that some non-black employers (and maybe some black ones too), may discriminate against me just because my hair is in what is considered an "ethnic" style to some. I'm looking for work as an attorney, which can be a very conservative field, depending on where you work. I had microbraids while working at a firm while I was in school, and everyone there loved them, but I didn't get them until after I was already working there for awhile (not purposely, that's just how it worked out).

Once I get a job, and I feel that I've proven my worth to my employer, I plan on wearing my hair however I like. But until then, I just find it rather frustrating that this is even a consideration for me. :mad: As long as my hair is neat and well maintained, I don't think anyone should care what I'm doing with it . In the meantime, I'm thinking about wearing cornrows, since my friend will do them for me, and I won't feel bad taking them out for an interview, since the cost and time to do them would be minimal.

I know I hear about problems like this from time on the news. The last thing I remember hearing was about cops and/or transit workers (I think it was both, in two separate incidents), being told that they couldn't wear dreads, and would have to cut them, or give up their jobs. Have any of you ever experienced this? I know that I've seen a few other attorneys here, and I'm particularly interested in your experiences.

ETA: If you believe that certain styles are inappropriate in the workplace, no matter how well groomed, could you please give examples? I'm just curious.

I voted no. Glad to see there are others coz honestly as long as you are clean and neat, present yourself professionally and do the job you're hired to do according to the terms of your hire there will be no issue about hair. If anyone proves me wrong feel free to call me out on this. You can be just as conservative with microbraids or microbraidlocks as you can with a relaxer or a neat fro.

Absolutely. Good topic -- and always controversial of course.

I work in a conservative Fortune 100 Company. During the summer months on occassion I have worn micro braids w/ human curly hair that I wear pulled back. That was acceptable. I decided to step out a couple of weeks ago with a new hairstyle because of an upcoming wedding (cornrow in front & weave in back -- looks like a straw set in the back). So, I decided to take a chance on this one -- I'm not looking to get promoted.:ohwell: I work in HR, so unfortunately appearance is a reality in my organization. There was a sister in another function who came to work last year with a fro -- she caused quite a stir amongst the Black folk:lachen: . She moved on recently to another company... Alot of it depends on the culture of the organization & the profession.

I have to totally cosign on this. I am also a lawyer and thus far I have always been the only black attorney (in my last firm and in this one). Besides all the other pressures that come with that I have to keep me hair looking acceptable (to their standards). So as much as I would love to just do something else with my hair.. I keep my hair set and roots blown every week. That is what started me on my hair journey. I could not grow my hair past a certain length and it was just soo unhealthy. I still get it set and roots blown every week but I do a lot of things during the week and know more about products to keep my hair healthy.

LadyEsquire said:

i think it depends on the job. i am a nurse and as of late i have worn my hair in a fro with a headband and occasional puffs. i have never heard anything bad from my boss or patients . i think if it is neat and presentable it shouldn't matter. i woulldn't rock a mohawk or anything like that either. i do think you have to find out what wil work at your place of business as well.

Maybe it is where I am from (California), but I don't see any restrictions on my hairstyle at work, and I have mostly worked with VIP's. I've seen ethnic styles (braids, ect.) and ghetto styles (a pony tail 1 foot tall) on employee's and no one has said anything. My sister is a VIP, and she changes her hair practically every week, and always "ethnic" styles. She just keeps getting promoted.
I really think we are the only ones concerned with our hair. Much more than the white people in the workplace.
Again, maybe this is just where I am from, or my particular occupation, but as long as it's not a to-the-side pink ponytail, I don't see the problem.

Yes! Yes! and Yes! My dept is para-military. When I first started and the 3yrs after that we could wear braids just no "un-natural" colors. We combined with another dept that weren't allowed to wear braids so therefore no one could. News flash even the military is allowed to wear neat pinned up braids. Oh, believe me the sistahs were hot! When asked why we couldn't wear braids we were told it was a hygiene issue because you can't wash your hair everyday. I was like ok...first of all I don't wash my hair everyday anyway! Second when I had micros co-wash everyday and every other day with cornrows compared to once or twice a week when it's not braided. When I did wear braids my hair was always pinned up. They were not hearing it. Some of the ladies even got a lawyer still nothing changed. Then finally 2yrs later we are now allowed to wear our hair anyway we want with the exception of the color, height, and a few rules about weaves and extensions. So far the only problems we've had have been about color with some of the employees.

Back