Having a weave longer than 3 months :/

Mena

Sophisticated1, can you describe what you did in your takedown process?

I just went very very slowly cutting the thread from around the weft. I guess my weaver did a great job braiding my hair. Even though my hair grew, it the braid was still in good shape once I got all the weave off. I just went through the process really slowly to unbraid my hair. I did not use any conditioner or oils or anything. When I got my hair unbraided, it was in nice waves for the most part. There were some clumps that stuck together but nothing serious. Just make sure whoever weaves your hair does great braids...I think this makes a HUGE difference on whether or not you can make it 3 months

Ediese

Okay, I am not tryig to start anything, but I have never gotten a full weave and left it in less than 3 months.....I usually have it in for 4 months at a time. I wore it consistently for years this way. I know I am not saying to "popular" thing, but I am proof your hair will not necessarily dread and fall out. I am not saying you should leave it in for this amount of time, but I am saying it not a guaranteed thing that it will dread up. I am cheap and it would cost me a pretty penny, so I left them in for a while. I think it is the only reason why I have the length I have now. Just adding my 2 cents.

How often did you wash though? I think that's what attributes to the dreading/tangling etc.

MsGoody531

Good Morning,

I have been wearing my sew-in's for two years straight. I started doing the net this year on the front of my head. I wear my sew-in for 3 to 3 1/2 months all the time. I use the net to take the stress off my edges sense they seem to be fragile. My hair has never dreaded or matted. I only wash my hair twice a month. In between the washes I use the ORS waterless shampoo. I don't know what my true length is but I know it is VERY VERY thick with alot of shrinkage after washing. I agree with OP, I think it depends on if you are transitioning, how much you wash and how good the braids are. When I first started I NEVER washed my hair. All, I did was tilt my head back and put Doo Groo Mega thick or anti-itch oil on my scalp. I KNOW..I KNOW, but in my case my HAIR grows fast when it's dirty :nuts:.

Just wanted to give you my experience...

Sincerely,

Ms Goody

Last edited:

loved

I just went very very slowly cutting the thread from around the weft. I guess my weaver did a great job braiding my hair. Even though my hair grew, it the braid was still in good shape once I got all the weave off. I just went through the process really slowly to unbraid my hair. I did not use any conditioner or oils or anything. When I got my hair unbraided, it was in nice waves for the most part. There were some clumps that stuck together but nothing serious. Just make sure whoever weaves your hair does great braids...I think this makes a HUGE difference on whether or not you can make it 3 months

You didn't get any tangles after the water hit your hair? This is usually when I experience tangles after my weave take down, even though I comb through beforehand.

Ediese

You didn't get any tangles after the water hit your hair? This is usually when I experience tangles after my weave take down, even though I comb through beforehand.

You might want to try combing it thoroughly, and try to detangle with the denman brush. That usually gets rid of ALL shed hair.

BeautifulFlower

Real talk...Its nothing wrong with it BUT....

When you do take your hair out DO NOT SHAMPOO IT & DETANGLE WITH FINGER BEFORE WATER TOUCHES IT.

Your hair WILL matt and dread and (if your not the bomb detangler) you will lose ALOT of hair.

I usually dont leave in weaves longer than 3 to 4 weeks but that because I can do them myself. I experience matting and dreading after removing a weave once. Me having thick hair and taking the time to detangle is the only reason I dont look bald today. It was a mess.

naturalmanenyc

I have kept sew in weaves for up to 3 months (12 weeks) but they were more difficult to take down than if kept for 8 - 10 weeks. My last weave was only in for about 7 weeks. My hair does grow that fast, less than .5 inch per month so I think I can go for 8 weeks with no major matting issues.

I have to echo the other ladies.....DO NOT SHAMPOO until after you detangle very well. YOUR HAIR WILL MATTE IF NOT PROPERLY DETANGLED AFTER A TAKE DOWN.

EleganceUnleashed

I wouldn't recommend it. :nono: I kept my hair in a sew-in for 4 months and it dreded up on me and I had to cut. This was back in 2005.
Half of my Fotki is dedicated to this....

Check it out,
http://public.fotki.com/EleganceUnleashed/

nakialovesshoes

My current install will be n 4 10wks/2 days. I have a net. I'm doing MT every other day & on the days that I don't MT, I put IC liquid hair & scalp moisturizer on my own hair. I wash my own hair weekly but I don't put any cond on my own hair (except 4 the hair left out around the perimeter - I DC it weekly when I wash).

My plan is 2 use the Cowboy Magic detangler b4 I wash & detangle each cornrow w/it & a Denman. I will report back on how this works 4 me. If I don't suffer any hairloss, I will stretch my next install 12 weeks.

Mena

No tangles at all. I did have a couple of spots where my hair clumped together. Nothing serious though.