Having second thoughts about going natural

troi21

My last relaxer was late May 2003. Relaxer has damaged parts of my hair to the point that I saw a trichologist about it. Turns out everything is ok, I just need a break from relaxers. But now in month 5 of being relaxer free, I have about two inches of growth and my hair won't lie flat! I usually wear my hair back in short ponytail or bun but I have major puffiness on top. I want to stick this out but I need some help.

My regime:
Wash weekly with Motions Shampoo (one shampoo then rinse)
Deep condition (plastic cap only or under hooded dryer for 20 mins) with LeKair or Motions CPR followed by Motions
Moisturising conditioner
infusium leave in conditioner followed by some monoi oil
i roller set or air dry

Vitamins: just started Bargello routine

Are there any improvements I can make to my regime?

TIA

Karonica

You're not the only one having second thoughts.

troi21

I should mention that the sides of my hair are very short and the back is long so I can only really manage a ponytail

I haven't tried straw sets and I wish I could

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
ChocoKitty said:
Have thought about trying strawsets?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good idea.

Roller Sets, twist-outs and braid outs are also other options. When I first went natural It was easier for me to maintain curly or textured wet sets instead of straight sets.

CaramelKiss

Before u decide, why don't u look up the transitioning/natural threads for some good info. It isn't easy. It takes a lot of patience, trial and error. I'm still working on it myself, so don't despair!!

caress

Sorry to hijack the thread but, troi, are you troiparker from the Yahoo hair clubs? If so (or even if not) good to "see" you around.

Naturalistic

Ditto CaramelKiss--
LOTS of patience...but if you decide to remain relaxer-free, you'll probably be glad you did. I didn't transition; I chopped from shoulder-length relaxed hair to 1 inch new growth. It would've been too hard for me to deal with 2 different textures but I know a TWA isn't for everybody.

Have you thought about maybe getting braid or twist extensions to give you a break during this uncertain time so that you don't make a rash decision? Your regimen sounds OK; but your hair probably isn't lying flat 'cause natural hair doesn't normally do that. It puffs, that's just what it does. When I wear my hair pulled back & want a sleek hairline, I wet it a little & apply a tiny bit of gel & brush it with a soft-bristled brush. That keeps my hairline smooth.

This probably wasn't a whole bunch of help...when I was waiting for my natural hair to grow, there were days when I was inches away from grabbing a box of relaxer. But I'm glad I didn't. I really love the natural texture of my hair now. I can only advise patience & TLC of your hair; it's growing, but it takes time.

Junebug D

[ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about maybe getting braid or twist extensions to give you a break during this uncertain time so that you don't make a rash decision? Your regimen sounds OK; but your hair probably isn't lying flat 'cause natural hair doesn't normally do that. It puffs, that's just what it does. When I wear my hair pulled back & want a sleek hairline, I wet it a little & apply a tiny bit of gel & brush it with a soft-bristled brush. That keeps my hairline smooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice.
Just don't give up and have patience with it.

inthepink

Regarding the puffiness, have you tried applying products to your new growth? What works for me is healthy hair butter - keeps my new growth moisturized and lays it down some as well. Also a little bit of gel and pomade can go a long way to keep your hair lying down the whole day.
Don't give up!

Brownie

Frizz busters with cones flatten my hair out---for days. I have yet to try the healthy hair butter.

Isis

I haven't tried this yet but some say castor oil applied to the new growth will soften it and keep it lying down. I think this is done while hair is still wet after a leave-in.

Isis

Hairlove - is the Healthy Hair Butter the same as Shea Butter? Or does it contain something else? Thank you.

inthepink

Isis,

No...healthy hair butter is not "equal" to shea butter but it does contain shea butter. It's a mixture. Here are the ingredients:

vegetable oil, including olive oil infused with lavender and sage herb, water, beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter and essential oils of lavender, rosemeary, lemongrass, cedarwood, and ylang-ylang.

Additionally, the jar says "Apply to hair as often as needed to soften and promote hair growth."

Some people don't like the way it smells. I can handle the smell...it isn't SO bad to me but I will probably try Marguerite's Magic in the future which is also by Carol's Daughter and supposedly has a more subtle smell.

Isis...I would guess that if you could find a "creamy" shea butter mixture, you could achieve the same results.

UmSumayyah

Try putting coconut oil on the hair when it is still damp. You may also want to try braidouts as someone suggested. I ordinarily like mine worn with a headband to keep the hair off my face.

troi21

HI caress

It is me! Nice to see you too!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I was washing my hair yesterday and felt the curls of my natural hair and was very happy. I will try to stick this out. Because my hair was broken in so many places by relaxer, it is very uneven so I wouldn't be able to pull off a braid/twist out at this stage. I am toying with cutting it all off and getting braids for a couple months. Getting braids put in regularly might be too expensive for me though

Seeing this month's feature, Den, has been extremely inspiring.

UmSumayyah

Great to hear you are newly inspired. I would say also give yourself a non-negotiable trial period. As in, "I will go natural for one year, no matter what ups and downs may come. After one year I can relax if I choose"

caress

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
Great to hear you are newly inspired. I would say also give yourself a non-negotiable trial period. As in, "I will go natural for one year, no matter what ups and downs may come. After one year I can relax if I choose"

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi troi! I agree with UmSumayyah.