Heat everyday on hair.

Hello Ladies,

I just took out my weave and I want to keep it out. My hair is healthy and armpit length.I was wondering if there was any way to keep my hair in tip top shape even if I straighten my hair almost every day ( I use a maxiglide steam straightener which so far leaves my hair healthy) Are there any magical techniques or concoctions you can recommend to keep my hair healthy and growing? Thanks

CAPlush

You shouldn't use heat every day. The most I think your hair could probably take is 2x a week on low heat, and then again you are going to have to make an assessment of if that is working for your hair. Search for heat protectant because you will need one of those.

Why don't you start out flat ironing once a week, and maintain the straightness wrapping your hair and/or tying it down with a scarf.

alexei

Welcome Caramel apple bottom!

Girl, If I knew a way to use heat almost everyday & keep my hair healthy
I would bottle & sell it :grin:
As it is, my natural 4a/b hair is sensitive to heat.

The only thing I can suggest is Henna treatments which have had rave reviews for strengthening hair. (I haven't used yet but doing a search could help you)

Use products to extend the life of your maxiglide results by blocking humidity such as Chi silk Infusion.
This would help to cut down on how often you use your maxiglide.

Also, Deep Conditioning and use protein treatments often.
A respected names on lhcf for protein treatments is aphogee which is used every 6 week usually.

I am currently in braids so my advice is based on the successes of lhcfer's who use these methods to keep their hair in tip top shape.

A search for all the terms that are in bold should help you out. ;)

Goodluck & Happy hair Growing! :)

WomanlyCharm

I have no magical techniques...but I would seriously advise you to not use heat everyday, if you want your hair to stay healthy and growing.
Trust me...I've been there. :( Even being extremely careful, all that heat leads to dryness and breakage over time.

You may want to think about wrapping or rollersetting...and there are other ways to keep your hair in good shape.

alexei said:
Welcome Caramel apple bottom!

Girl, If I knew a way to use heat almost everyday & keep my hair healthy
I would bottle & sell it :grin:
As it is, my natural 4a/b hair is sensitive to heat.

The only thing I can suggest is Henna treatments which have had rave reviews for strengthening hair. (I haven't used yet but doing a search could help you)

Use products to extend the life of your maxiglide results by blocking humidity such as Chi silk Infusion.
This would help to cut down on how often you use your maxiglide.

Also, Deep Conditioning and use protein treatments often.
A respected names on lhcf for protein treatments is aphogee which is used every 6 week usually.

I am currently in braids so my advice is based on the successes of lhcfer's who use these methods to keep their hair in tip top shape.

A search for all the terms that are in bold should help you out. ;)

Goodluck & Happy hair Growing! :)

Very well said!! ITA!

KiniKakes

The other ladies have said it all, so no need for me to beat a dead horse. :)

But aside from that, welcome to LHCF sista!!!!! We're a GREAT group of ladies (if i do say so myself) and we're happy to have you with us! HHG and may you reach all ure hair goals!!!! :D

jellynote

I do agree w/ wut everyone else has said, but I have to admit that back in the day before I found LHCF I use to curl my hair w/ a curling iron everyday and my hair grew like a tweed. I didn't use a heat protectant back then either. I had to use the wee chi flat iron this month almost everyday w/ CHI Silk Infusion because of my big chop, but my hair has already grown enough this month were I can roll my hair w/ the really small velcro rollers. The only thing I can say to u is if u do use heat everyday use a heat protectant and deep conditioner every week.

Last edited:
I have been thinking more about this and wanted to add why I don’t think this is such a great idea...

There is just so much proof of women here who have grown long hair without heat that it seems like the common denominating factor is that "without heat" your hair is much healthier, you retain more length. The fact that they have beautiful, healthy hair progress pics - some near waist length w/ 4b hair seals the deal for me.

Now on the flip side, I would love to see pics others that use heat every day. Take a look at ends, close up shots, etc to verify that it is in healthy condition.

Then I would compare what percentage of those use heat that have BSL and past vs. those who don’t use heat have BSL and past.

Speaking personally - when I used heat every day, my hair was fried and shot...

Buy hey, ladies, if you have that miracle product out there or you use heat daily with pics of long healthy hair - I am interested to learn of your regimen too.