Heat protectant: Spray vs. Serums

RoseGolden

How does everyone feel about spray on heat protectants? Are they not as effective? Has anyone used both?

I've been using the Fantasia IC Serum, its good but It makes my flat ironed hair really weighed down and kind of greasy so i'm thinking a spray wont do this, but for some reason i'm thinking sprays arent as effective.

What does everyone think?

I'm glad you posted this because I was asking someone about this earlier today. Besides just this question, do you know of a good heat protectant as well? I use proclaim oil but, I personally didn't have luck with spray. For some reason, I like to see the shine and then I get too much shine.:lol:

I use Silk Elements spray for blowdrying and I use it for protection when I relax. I use the Fantasia serum when I flat iron. I use a tiny dab for eash section so it doesn't get greasy.

I think the key to serums is using a very little. I don't ever have problems with serums since I only use a drop or 2, maybe 3 for my sections and I section my hair into 4 sections.

I've tried spray before and found it had alcohol in it and it was drying. I think it was by Matrixx.

FAMUDva said:
I think the key to serums is using a very little. I don't ever have problems with serums since I only use a drop or 2, maybe 3 for my sections and I section my hair into 4 sections.

I've tried spray before and found it had alcohol in it and it was drying. I think it was by Matrixx.

ITA

with a serum you only need a small amount and to me it does give shine and it can leave your hair bouncy, serum by its nature just glides on to your hair. I have been using biosilk, but i recently bought some chi silk infusion from navas raves. either way Biosilk works great on my hair and never leaves it weighed down (check siggy)

my hair didn't like serums when i was relaxed, and it definitely doesn't like them now that i'm natural. sprays have always worked better for me... right now i use the Silk Elements heat protectant spray.

my sister swears by serums though... guess it just depends...

I prefer serums. I just feel like they give better protection against heat. Redken Heat Glide and Chi Silk Infusion (I just tried the Chi on my sister's hair last week) are really, really good.

So everyone is saying the key is to use a little. But i am heavy handed with products and would feel like it wasnt really enough to protect my hair. How are u guys distributing 2 or 3 drops throughout you whole head? I cant do it lol

buttaflye03 said:
I usually just apply section by section, not just 3 drops for my whole head. That would never work for me! :lol:

ok that makes sense LOL. I was about to say, 3 drops?? No way :lol:

Hmmm I was looking at the ingredients in the Fantasia IC Heat protector straightening spray and it doesn't contain alchohol so i'm wondering if it is ok

Cyclomethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Dimethicone , Isododecane , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate , Amodimethicone , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate Sunscreen , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Fragrance Parfum

Back