Heating Cap same as Steam Cap?

inthepink

I apologize if this has been asked before but I didn't see a clear answer in the search...

I am considering purchasing one of these in the next month or so. I was reading somewhere that you could buy "steam caps" to deep condition your hair. When I searched for them online, I always ended up on pages with "heating caps."

In fact, the Belson Heating Cap says this: "This heating cap will deep condition your hair, while opening your hair follicles (in the same way steam opens pores on the skin) to seal in the moisture."

I figure this is a much cheaper way to condition my hair with steam than trying to buy an actual steamer. But is it true?

Both of these are from tenderheaded.com. Anyone have these and are they are good product to purchase? I'm leaning towards the Mastex one since it is always on sale.

Belson Heating Cap
http://www.tenderheaded.com/belheatcap.html

Mastex Heating Cap
http://www.tenderheaded.com/masheatcap.html

Tracy

As far as I know hairlove, these are both heating caps (I couldn't see the pics tho so I could be worng).

A steamer is a very different experience and IMHO really is a treat for the hair. The steam heat delivers water (moisture, in the form of the steam) AS the heat from the steamer helps the conditioner to penentrate. That way you get water being pushed deeply into the hair shaft along with the conditioner thanks to the heat. Regular heating caps provide the heat - but without the additional punched up moisture. Often, steamers are not used with a plastic cap. Whenever I've used them at a salon my conditoner was applied - no cap - for 20 minutes with steam.

My hair was unbelieveably soft and strong when I was using one regularly.

Steamers are IMO completely different than heating caps. You may be able to approximate the same result some other way than buying an actual steamer but I don't think a heating cap is the closest you can get to the experience.

Perhaps if you had a semi-large facial steamer and you threw a towel over your head covering the hairline and back, set the face steamer on a surface level with the back of your neck and use the towel to trap in the steam as you conditon? The easiest way actually is to sit in a steam room with conditioner if you have access to one.

Just off the top of my head - that would be closer to using a steamer than these caps.

inthepink

Thanks, Tracy! I do know that a "steamer" is WAY different than a heating cap! I have had steamer treatments at salons before. I guess my question was if I'd be able to get similar results using a heating cap since I don't want to spend money on a real stand-alone steamer appliance. I guess I was wondering if the heating cap produced a steam-like effect and that's why it is sometimes called a steam cap.

Allandra

HairLove,

I have a Mastex Heating Cap. I use it every now and then. I seem to like my hooded dryer better.

IMO, the Mastex Heating Cap and the Belson Heating Cap look quite similar.

Allandra

It's not that I don't like it. I'm just used to my hooded dryer. I still use the Mastex Heating cap (mainly when I'm away from home).

Spagirl

Though this isn't about steam conditioning, I thought you might find this interesting since your in the heat conditioning market. It's a FYI on electric caps.:

[ QUOTE ]
Do one of 2:

1. Wrap a large towel around your plastic cap for 40-60 minutes
or
2 with the towel wrapped around your plastic cap, sit under a dome/hooded dryer for the same amount of time.

Note: unprocessed afro textured hair, (natural) the electric heating cap will make combing the hair out a task because the heat from the cap draws the hair up tighter- which can lead to a tighter coil and breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though this might not be the case for all naturals, I think could be a good FYI for some.

The above info came from growafrohairlong.com/shampooingnatural.html

OnceUponAtime

I don't have a comparison for you as I've only used the heat cap and haven't had a steam treatment.

I currently own the Belson, but I owned a no name from the local BSS a few years back. They both work well, but the vinyl used in the Belson is much softer. The no name model hardened over time and began to crack around the edges. So, any future purchases of heat caps for me will have that quality issue to uphold.