Height and Hairgrowth!

mrshicks2002

I have seen this alot when others want to know how long it took someone to get to a certain length and how long, including myself, but what we have to take in consideration is some are reaching goals sooner than others because they are shorter in height and this plays a big factor of it. It can get discouraging when you see someone that have reached a goal in a short time frame, but again they might not be your height and you are wondering why its taking you so long.

For example someone that is 5'1 and it takes them 8 months to a year to reach APL vs. someone that is 5'9 it takes them a year or more, this is just an example considering no trims,no cuts or nothing.

So for those that like to do comparison, just please remember to not down yourself because you are not making it to a certain goal in a certain time frame. Before you decide to compare yourself again just keep in mind that you may be taller than them and thats why they are reaching their goals sooner than you!

Yes height (length of torso)is very big factor. Also .5 inches/per month hair growth is considered average. I think a person gowth rate is important also.

not only height but body part length. as in someone at 5'6 with a short torso VS someone at 5'6 with a longer torso will take longer to reach their goal.

There's head size, neck length, torso length, genetically pre-determined natural growth rate. We have to remember to use comparison as a tool and not let it make us feel badly about what we may perceive as bad progress. Use your previous progress as your "control value" and compare yourself to yourself.

Yeah, thats why i sometimes ask "how many inches is your___"(BSL, APL ect.).....Measuring from hairline all the way back, i've seen one person who is almost BSL at 21", and another who is barely APL.

---Also the way people meaure their hair too.

(At first i thought this was going to be something about "tall people are proven to grow hair faster" :lachen:)

I'm taller than average and I thought about the point you raise,b/c my brastrap seems to be a lot lower than some of the ladies who post pics.

I'm taller than average and I thought about the point you raise,b/c my brastrap seems to be a lot lower than some of the ladies who post pics.
When you bring this up you have to take bra fit into consideration. Based on the Oprah show :)look:) most ladies wear their bra straps up too high. It should be level all the was around from the front right underneath the bust. I have seen some "bra strap length" photos where the bra strap is high and ill fitting.

When you bring this up you have to take bra fit into consideration. Based on the Oprah show :)look:) most ladies wear their bra straps up too high. It should be level all the was around from the front right underneath the bust. I have seen some "bra strap length" photos where the bra strap is high and ill fitting.

I feel like my strap is to low!! When I get to BSL ill be jso close to MBL!!

So true. I'm 6'2" with a long torso (obviously!) so it feels like my hair NEVER grows - because it's got so far to travel!! That's alright though - when it does all reach BSL (it's layered & the shortest pieces aren't there yet), your girl gonna be swanging it!! lol

So true. I'm 6'2" with a long torso (obviously!) so it feels like my hair NEVER grows - because it's got so far to travel!! That's alright though - when it does all reach BSL (it's layered & the shortest pieces aren't there yet), your girl gonna be swanging it!! lol

Totally off topic, where do you buy you jeans and pants?

Ha Ha...the basis for all 'tall women interactions - where do you find clothes & shoes?!' LOL. I'll send you a private message.

OT I am so jealous. I have always had a Napoleon/Josephine/short woman complex!!

At 5'6" I am average in height but it will take a long time for me to reach my hair length goals because my neck is 4 3/4 inches long....here's a visual for you: I can put on a turtleneck shirt and *still* have some neck showing. I also took a picture of me holding the short end of a business size envelope next to my neck (I'll have to look thru my pics) but I say all that to say that once I reach my goal of APL I will get to BSL faster than most because I have a short torso.

Whereas I'm giving myself a year to reach APL I should get to BSL from APL in under 6 months. Weird huh? :look:

At 5'6" I am average in height but it will take a long time for me to reach my hair length goals because my neck is 4 3/4 inches long....here's a visual for you: I can put on a turtleneck shirt and *still* have some neck showing. I also took a picture of me holding the short end of a business size envelope next to my neck (I'll have to look thru my pics) but I say all that to say that once I reach my goal of APL I will get to BSL faster than most because I have a short torso.

Whereas I'm giving myself a year to reach APL I should get to BSL from APL in under 6 months. Weird huh? :look:
And a little funny too!:spinning:

Soo true.....I mean look at how long my neck is:nono:, don't get me wrong I think its graceful, however it gonna take a MINUTE for me to reach collarbone length.

This may be crazy reasoning (as well as my excuse as a short woman), but if tall people have grown body length more than other people, does it stand to reason that their growth in other areas, i.e. hair, would be more too? Once again, I am jealous of the tall.:spinning:

Not to digress off-topic again, but there are several great things about being tall. One is that I can gain double-digit pounds and no one ever notices (even though I do!!)...because you've got so much more surface area for the weight to spread out over. Now a bad thing...I really think it intimidates men. I'm a Leo (with personality, temperament, attitude & ego to prove it! lol) so you KNOW a 6'2", assertive, take-charge Leo sista scares the hell outta some men! :grin:

But in regards to hair...I do feel that it has the overall appearance of looking longer to others, even when we feel its not, because of the longer torso - similar to the undetectable weight gain by others, but in reverse. Because of that, I think hair length on a tall/long torso is more 'striking' visually than on a short torso just like a big, fluffy, natural do on a tall woman is more 'eye-catching.' Ooohhhh, I just thought of myself with a BIG, wild, naturally-curly do. :grin: Hell, a brotha won't even be able to walk on the same side of the street as me! lol, J/K

Im 5'7 with a long neck and torso, it is taking me forever to get to APL. Granted I have had some setbacks, but give me a break. I've been trying to get to APL for about 2 years now.

OT: I also have to take into consideration that I started off with extremly damaged hair. My hair was so damaged that it was breaking not only at the ends but also everywhere else on the hair shaft. Simply clipping my ends would not have restored my hair's health since it was so damage. The only thing that would have helped would have been a BC, and I didn't want to go there so basically I had to grow out all of my damage hair. :sad:

I'm 5'8" and I agree about the lbs. No one can ever tell but me - and my mother. But I think she's mostly saying it to piss me off and gets a kick out of it when she's right. I think all the longer necks and limbs have the ability to make a short length of hair on a woman seem longer than it maybe would on someone shorter. It looks long from the side and then you peep it from the back and realize you're still at the shoulder blade - I know my APL looks more like BSL from one angle and probably would be on someone shorter.Luckily though I have a high waist so if I decide to go longer I've got a shortcut!

I'm 5'7 1/2...I claim 5'8". And I think being tall although you might not get to your goals as fast when you do it does look a whole lot longer because in reality it is. If your short with bsl hair and switch heads with a tall person your hair would probably be apl(that sound wierd).

I'm 5'7 1/2...I claim 5'8". And I think being tall although you might not get to your goals as fast when you do it does look a whole lot longer because in reality it is. If your short with bsl hair and switch heads with a tall person your hair would probably be apl(that sound wierd).

ITA...and I'm the same height too:grin:! I have a shorter torso that most prople my height too so my BSL definitely dosen't look like others.

But in regards to hair...I do feel that it has the overall appearance of looking longer to others, even when we feel its not, because of the longer torso - similar to the undetectable weight gain by others, but in reverse. Because of that, I think hair length on a tall/long torso is more 'striking' visually than on a short torso just like a big, fluffy, natural do on a tall woman is more 'eye-catching.' Ooohhhh, I just thought of myself with a BIG, wild, naturally-curly do. :grin: Hell, a brotha won't even be able to walk on the same side of the street as me! lol, J/K[/quote]

Especially the bolded!!!
I am 5'9...but i luv to wear 3inch heels.
Getting to APL feels like pure hell. I'm glad that I am almost there though.
I have long neck and then from my neck to my chest is even a longer feet to accomplish = BSL.
I'm wearing braids for all of 2008. Of course I will be redoing them every 2-3 months, washing and leaving it out in 3 week intervals with cornrows without extentions. Basically I'm stretching for the year.
I want to see what a full 6inches of ng looks like and I don't want to see my hair again, straight and permed until it's BSL.
Being tall definately makes the hair growth journey long and hard.
I never compare my hair to other folks on this board unless I know how tall they are...since for the most part I don't know this information...I don't care to compare.
However, now that you fellow tall drinks of water have revealed yourselves on this thread...I will be watching you:look::grin:.

You are so right about height & hairgrowth...I'm only 5'0" tall...:perplexed...with a short neck...so to others my hair is long. My husband measured my hair the other day and I have 5 inches to go to make BSL...and I know that's because I'm short....

I am 6'3 and I swear I have been trying to get my hair to bsl for 2 years....but I recently decided to grow my hair to full armpit length and then I'll see what happens from there. I think that apl is the equivalent of bsl for all the six foota's on here.

also consider head size....lol

i have a huge head and if my hair was on my mom's head it would be much longer....

Girl I seen some bra-straps in people's arm-pits.:ohwell: And they're like, I'm BSL now!

Whatever.:hand:

I think part of being on this board is realizing there're all these diff factors going on like height, growth rate, wonky bra-straps, neck/torso length, low/high waists and we have to learn to be ok with it and just focus on our own hair & not Sally over there who's 4'5" and has no waist. Which is hard.

Last edited:
Cheeks I hear what you're saying about how some bras are worn higher or lower. I have one bra that comes up higher so in that bra it looks like I'm practically bsl but when I put any of my other bras on they come down lower and I have about 2" till I"m bsl.

Back