HELP: BRAIDS/TWISTS ALWAYS UNRAVAL!!!

taytay86

Ladies,

I've been wearing protective styling for about a year now and I must admit I had a lot of success with braids. However, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, and therefore wash my hair (poo or co wash) 3-4 times a week. The increased frequency is starting to make my braids messy within two weeks! I'm very careful (i.e. not rubbing the hair, only the scalp, rinsing the scalp the day after washing etc.) but I have no luck. Some of you may recommed washing the hair less, but I don't feel comfortable doing that. If you had sweat on your face, you'd wash it off...right?

My hairdresser and I decided to try dread (afro) twists which she claimed would be better, but it's actually the opposite. As much as I love the twists, I'm finding my hair is sticking out of quite a few of them. To me, the purpose of wearing a protective style is not only to protect the hair, but also to decrease maintainance. My hair hates heavy prodcuts, and I try to keep my list to minimum as to reduce build up on my scalp.

I've tried sealing with oil or moisturizer after washes, using lock gel and nothing seems to work. I'm thinking of weaving, but its expensive and I won't be able to wash my hair thoroughly - what can I do?

HELP!!!

If you do not want your protective style looking messy, then you should wash less frequently (once a week, or once every 2 weeks). Instead of braids/twists, try cornrows.
I exercise regularly and I wash my hair every 2 weeks with no problems. However, my hair doesn't get all stinky and dirty from exercising like other people. When I work out, I just wear my hair in some 'dookie' plaits with a scarf over my hair.

And I don't know if you are relaxed or natural, but if you are natural, maybe you would be better off wearing your hair in a shrunken fro since you wash frequently. If you are relaxed, just wear your hair in a ponytail when you workout.

I'm relaxed - and I'd rather not wash my hair once every week or two weeks as mentioned above. I prefer to keep my scalp clean.

Perhaps I can use a different type of hair?

Use IC gel w. sparkelites- it helps hold the style.:yep:
I get better results without extensions! Hope this helps.

When I wear braids, I often wear a stocking cap when washing... and after rinsing but while hair is still wet, I slick down with mousse ( synthetic braids) or aloe vera gel ( human hair) to hold hair in place until it dries

Have you tried washing your braids with a stocking cap on first? If not, try and see if that helps you. Just put a stocking cap over your head and proceed to wash your hair like you normally would when you have braids in it, and see if that makes any difference for you. It's what I would do back in my relaxed days.

When I had braids I washed frequently also...or rather rinsed. I run about 3 -4X per week and it gets hot in CALI :). I would separate my braids in two plaits. I would hold the hair from one plait and let the water run on my scalp, dividing the braid near the scalp for the water to hit while holding the ends. I held the ends so the weight of the wet braid wouldn't cause any additional slip. I would plait that section back up and do the second section the same way. And every night tie my hair down to keep away any frizz the extra handling caused. But I never made it the 8 wks that every one else seemed to take for granted. But I could get a good 5 or 6 out of them rinsing every other day.

When I wear braids, I often wear a stocking cap when washing... and after rinsing but while hair is still wet, I slick down with mousse ( synthetic braids) or aloe vera gel ( human hair) to hold hair in place until it dries

Thank you Passion and Asthecurlturns.

Aloe vera gel? That sounds interesting. I've tried slicking down the ends, but seems like it needs to be re braided as slicking down with a product doesn't last long.

Q: how do you wash your scalp properly with a stocking cap on??? Please explain the step by step process: do you apply the shampoo and then the cap? How long did your braids stay neat with the process vs. not using the stocking cap?

PLEASE EXPLAIN.

Thanks!

Maybe instead of washing just rinse for a while and maybe use a little baking soda or ACV instead of shampoo to keep hair from unraveling.

I have worn braids for years.

Now - what I love about them is that I can wash them and use more water every few days.

DO NOT usea stocking cap to wash your braids

I don't think you specified what type of Braids you had.

Human hair braids are just a bit more delicate.

I use a tint bottle with diluted poo or Baking soda.... So there is no Rubbing of my scalp....

Once I am done with that - I only wrap my braids in an OLD TEE shirt.

your oils leave in, etc. can go on after that.. This cuts down on Frizz.

HTH.

I wash my hair frequently (I'm in extension braids too) and I find washing them in braids like Robin does her hair in C&G method helps prevent them from unraveling much. I focus on cleaning my scalp and just squeeze the braids as I rinse and diluted shampoo runs through the braids. When I apply conditioner, I apply on a few braids at a time, smoothing from about 1 inch from the base to the ends. I put back in plaits and squeeze so it can penetrate. I may then wear a plastic cap and DC under a dryer. Still you can only wash so many times before they need a do-over. And when they get really messy, I wear my hair in a style that disguises the mess when I leave home and then when I get home, I redo the braids that look the worst or that show when I wear my hair down. I redo them one by one over time, as time allows. So it may be days before I can wear my hair down.

Since it's been cold, I have worn a woolly cap every morning on the way to work and I find it helps pin fly-aways down by the time I get to work so that my hair looks neat. I believe tying a satin scarf would have the same effect.

So wearing a bun, a braided bun, or this braided do
bitmap16571-vi.jpg

are things you could pull off. The cool thing about the braided do is if you do it on damp hair, in a few days, you can sport a braid-out that belies how messy you hair is.

The do below wasn't worn as a style; it's how I airdry when I want my water wave extentions to dry fairly straight. But I think it would look nice with a dolphin clip, a bun clip, a butterfly clip, or stick barrettes.
AirdryingUpdoBraids-vi.jpg

I wash my hair frequently (I'm in extension braids too) and I find washing them in braids like Robin does her hair in C&G method helps prevent them from unraveling much. I focus on cleaning my scalp and just squeeze the braids as I rinse and diluted shampoo runs through the braids. When I apply conditioner, I apply on a few braids at a time, smoothing from about 1 inch from the base to the ends. I put back in plaits and squeeze so it can penetrate. I may then wear a plastic cap and DC under a dryer. Still you can only wash so many times before they need a do-over. And when they get really messy, I wear my hair in a style that disguises the mess when I leave home and then when I get home, I redo the braids that look the worst or that show when I wear my hair down. I redo them one by one over time, as time allows. So it may be days before I can wear my hair down.

Since it's been cold, I have worn a woolly cap every morning on the way to work and I find it helps pin fly-aways down by the time I get to work so that my hair looks neat. I believe tying a satin scarf would have the same effect.

bitmap16571-vi.jpg

are things you could pull off. The cool thing about the braided do is if you do it on damp hair, in a few days, you can sport a braid-out that belies how messy you hair is.

The do below wasn't worn as a style; it's how I airdry when I want my water wave extentions to dry fairly straight. But I think it would look nice with a dolphin clip, a bun clip, a butterfly clip, or stick barrettes.

Gorgeous!!!
Do you do your own Braids????

I'm relaxed - and I'd rather not wash my hair once every week or two weeks as mentioned above. I prefer to keep my scalp clean.

:yep:Co-signing on the sock cap or cornrows if you don't want to wash less frequently I also find that using synthetic hair helps - but I personally prefer human hair Good luck.

Oh, I didn't know you were using fake hair for your braids. I don't see why they are getting messy from washing often with fake hair. Maybe you should get smaller braids/twists or embrace the fuzziness.

Check out http://www.growafrohairlong.com. She shampoos and conditions her braid extensions just once a week. That isn't bad.

And my scalp isn't unclean and doesn't get all dirty from not washing for some reason, so that's why I made that suggestion.

Thanks!

Who's Robin, and what's the C&G method? Pleas explain!

TIA

bitmap16571-vi.jpg

Hi Samantha,

1. why do you say NO to stocking cap washing?
2. I'm using synthetic (free tress) for braids and Afro Kink (synthetic) for twists
3. How do you clean your scalp with the tint bottle?

TIA!

I have worn braids for years.

Now - what I love about them is that I can wash them and use more water every few days.

DO NOT usea stocking cap to wash your braids

I don't think you specified what type of Braids you had.

Human hair braids are just a bit more delicate.

I use a tint bottle with diluted poo or Baking soda.... So there is no Rubbing of my scalp....

Once I am done with that - I only wrap my braids in an OLD TEE shirt.

your oils leave in, etc. can go on after that.. This cuts down on Frizz.

HTH.

Hi Samantha,

1. why do you say NO to stocking cap washing?
2. I'm using synthetic (free tress) for braids and Afro Kink (synthetic) for twists
3. How do you clean your scalp with the tint bottle?

TIA!

Hi!
I say no to Stocking cap washing - Because for me....any debris that will be washed away - stays right in the stocking cap.

I am not interested in that.

I know that there is conflicting info on this, But that is my take on it.

For the tint bottle info - I have info on that in my fotki.
Take care!

Thanks!

Who's Robin, and what's the C&G method? Pleas explain!

TIA

Robin is the lady who is behind the famous Crown and Glory (C&G) Method of growing hair in braids. This is her website: www.growafrohairlong.com where she describes it and you can see her hair and read about her progress here. Then on this page at the very bottom is her suggestion for washing hair by putting it in big plaits. There's also a video showing her doing it at the very bottom. I incorporate that idea of braiding and washing in plaits into the regimen of washing my braids. A lot of people who wear braids follow the C&G method, and in fact there are a few C&G challenges currently going on in this forum.

Last edited:
Back