Help, getting depressed about hair...

Purtygurly

I'm losing hope now, although my hair is in the best condition it's ever been, it's not going the way I want it.

The biggest problem is my kitchen. It's so short there because my old hairdresser SHAVED IT OFF
. I've been taking care of it for 1.5 months and it's only 3/4 of an inch long. Plus, it isn't as thick as the rest of my hair.

The second biggest problem are the sides of my head and a little bit of the hairline. The sides are two inches (and thak God they are just as thick as the rest of my hair) They're like that because I got eczema on my scalp and in those spots I saw major breakage. In the last 1.5 months it grew 1.5 inches (grew pretty fast there, don't know why), but I'm not going to relax it because my scalp is sensitive there. It's not noticiable, and they are not huge pieces of my hair. The front looks pretty normal, there's only a small part that was affected and the hair wasn't very long there anyway, it grew back, but is just a little thin. The worst thing is that the skin is sensitive there too.

Then my hair didn't grow so well last month. I started with 1.5 inches of new growth and my new growth is only .5 inches longer. My hair has been growing .75 inches per month for the past year.
I've been taking vitamins and eating FISH (
not a big fan of fish) and other high protein foods to try and make my hair grow faster

I wanted to relax my hair in time for Christmas because this was supposed to be the frist time I relaxed my hair and won't have to trim half an inch off to get rid of damaged hair. I would really get to see new length, but now I don't know if it's a good idea because of the exzema that flared up again because of SURGE
Maybe I can get it to heal befor the middle of this month.

Then there's breakage. No matter what I do I lose about 10 or fifteen hairs when I comb trhough it (I think about half is breakage) and then I lose about 20 or even 30 (about half of that is breakage) when I wash it. I wanna be like you ladies who only lose 1 or 2

Welll, I guess I just need some encouragement...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
The 10-15 hairs that you lose from combing=normal
The 20-30 you lose from washing=normal

This # will decrease even more as your hair begins to thrive & reap the benefits from your healthy-hair regimen. It takes time for the regimen to kick in & for the results to show.

brittanynic16

Supergirl is so right.
My hair was underprocessed and it looked like crap. But, it was healthy. Of course, I thought it was terrible but I was taking good care of it. After I goy my relaxer you should have seen it!
It grew so much and now it hardly breaks at all. However, I reformed my hair regimen for 4 monthes. So, it will take time but stick to it. It is worth it!

Nyambura

surfer girl
I agree with Supergirl, it takes time for a regimen to show results. 1.5 months is not a long amount of time. It took me over a year to nurse my hair back to its healthy state (strength, softness, shine, and thickness), although I realize I may have started off in worse shape than many. But please don't give up Purtygurly. Although you've been experiencing exceptional growth each month, 1/2 inch a month is the average. The hardest aspect I've experienced on this hair care journey has been patience. But if you ride out this moment -I've had down times too, but they always pass- you'll be glad that you didn't give up!

CrownnGlori

I had problems with my kitchen. It was always thinner and breaking. I started applying carrot oil cream everynight and by the end of the jar the problem is non-existent. It was just dry.
Also I now use essential oils, specifically rosemary and lavender. In my travels I noticed that there are several oils that are good for exzema. My sister has it so it drew my attention. I've made my own oil and used it from hair to toe and it really has cleared up the skin. My daughter has a mild case of exzema and it decreases the severity of the rashes, as well as the marks left on dark skin.

Long I know, but I just wanted to share. HTH

silvergirl

my kitchen area was always as short as a couple inches no matter how long the rest of my hair was. it was so short that id always have to pin it up when i wore a midhead ponytail because it was never long enough to go in. i havent straightened or colored that area in a long time, as of right now the hair that starts just at the very side of my neck, the area that would never grow more than one or two inches is now 3inches below collarbone length!

Nyambura

surfer girl
Just wanted to add...if you're wearing turtlenecks, they can be the enemy to nape hair. Woollen and acryclic scarves can also be detrimental.

26INCHHAIR

Dont worry, itll grow. I had the same problem with my hair after mean hairdressers who overprocess my relaxer. Just give it time....be sure to drink lots of water and vitamin B helps too

Isis

Baby your kitchen area, keep it very well moisturized and try not relaxing it for a while. It will grow nice and long in no time.
:

Queenie

I agree with Isis. Baby that hair. I know that my hair strands in the kitchen and the side edges is thinner than the rest. I tend to treat my whole head the same causing more breakage there. BTW ponytails always make it breakoff too.

Jaelin

You might want to try organic root stimulator temple balm. It's about ten dollars. That is what I am using on my hairline and I'm starting to see a little progress. I don't know if you would have problems with it though (because of the surge reaction). The directions do say to test it out first to see if you have a sensitivity.