HELP! Hair Color Boo Boo

KansasHalo

Ok, I have been doing my own hair (relaxer, highlights, color, etc.) for a while with no problems. Two years ago, I started going to a stylist, but stopped when the highlights he had given me broken off!

So tonite, I am ready for highlights again and I purchase Revlon's High Dimension highlighting kit (in honey). Followed directions and everything and in less than 5 minutes, every place where I put that product - near my roots (at least 3 to 4 inches) it turned orange!

I applied Garnier Frutrics 3 minute deep conditioner and then applied Clairol's Beautiful collections hair color (no ammonia or peroxide) on the highlighted areas for maybe 4 or 5 minutes, rinsed and conditioned with Motions CPR. The highlights are now a light brown instead of orange. So I will be deep conditioning every week for the next few weeks.

Now the question......

I am transitioning from a relaxer to my natural hair. Does new growth take color faster than relaxed hair? It was the new growth pieces of my highlights that turned that horrible oragne, and it JUST hit me that it may be the cause.

I say this because I have highlighted my own hair before with no problems and great results, although my hair was relaxed during this time.

Help me out!! Could this have been the cause?

Topazz

Mrs Christopher Tracy
I've highlighted my hair and my friends hair a couple of times. With the lightener you have to be really careful about getting it too close to your scalp too soon because the heat from your scalp causes the color to process faster. (you know how salons sometimes put clients under heat lamps to process highlights when the hair is wrapped in foil or they have on a highlighting cap)So it really was just the heat from your scalp and not your new growth texture causing the bright orange.

HTH

mermaid

When I color my hair- I go BLONDE, all over. With my red based dark brown color, it is impossible to achieve that color, I have to use 40 volume lift to get ALL the red out of my hair or it will turn brassy orange. Some stylists insist on a toner to simmer down the orangey-ness (
) but I never do, it's just one more process on my double process color.
Maybe your stuff didn't have enough lift in it.

KansasHalo

Do you think it's ok for me to color my hair again (1 day later) using a semi-permanent color (I'll probably use Clairol's Beautiful Collection again since it has no ammonia or peroxide) or should I wait a few days?

I can't go to work with my hair looking like a hot mess!

Karonica

Hey Kansas.

Hmmmm....
As Topazz said, the hair closer to the roots processes quicker. Generally, hair that isn't relaxed doesn't absorb color as easily as relaxed hair, generally because the relaxed hair is more porous. But still, the heat near the scalp will help the color process quicker than the rest of your hair. Fortunately, as it grows out, it is much less noticeable. This happened to me before, although it wasn't severe, the color near the roots were a bit lighter than the rest of my hair.

I don't see a problem with you going over your hair the next day with a semi, as long as it doesn't contain ammonia or peroxide. In fact, after some clients get their hair permanently dyed or bleached in the salon, the stylist may run a rinse over it just to tone down the color or give it the hue that the one process could not give.

Now, since your hair turned orange, exactly what color was it supposed to turn out? Light a brown/blonde? Because I know as dark hair goes through the lightening phase, I believe orange is generally the color it arrives to at some point, but begins to get lighter once it's left on some more. I read that somewhere and this happened with my mom.

KansasHalo

I was going for Honey highlights, but not ORANGE!! Last night, I put a Clairol Loving Care rinse on (in Natural black). The highlights are toned down quite a bit, which is cool.

I decided to wait and color my whole head Bigen Oriental Black in February. After this experience (and the one with my stylist), I may leave the highlights alone or use the temporary spray in kind when I'm feeling a change.