HELP! I can't bun!

InJesusName

Yes ladies, you heard me correctly. I have been telling you guys about my terribly thin edges. I visited a dermatologist last week, and she gave me some type of topical agent to use for eight weeks. She said she wanted to try this before injections. She also advised me not to pull my hair back.

This is my issue. Even though I looked pretty ridiculous with my hair pulled back, doing so was preventing me from unhealthy hair practices (mainly flat ironing)--at 12 weeks post, my roller sets are looking pretty rough, and even flat ironing my hair does not look good because I have so much new growth.

I also stopped wearing buns and phony ponies because my DH said he was tired of me wearing that knot on my head with the saran wrap:lachen: .

I am thinking of going against the derm and wearing my baggie and bun while using the cream.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other protective styles while I baby these edges?

By the way...I am not a fan of wigs and weaves on me. I can never find anything to match my own hair texture and I have this whole concept about wearing other people's hair...

LynnieB

how long is your hair overall - that'd probably help everyone's mind be able to imagine what styles you can rock.

if it's long enough, you can try doing a swoop. if your hair's long enough you can gently lay it across your thin spots in the front. just use a little gel and perhaps a scarf to help it set. take a couple click-clacks and secure it around the ear area.

swoops look pretty darned good!

ETA: for the back you can do braid-outs or twist-outs. both do wonders for blending textures.

Last edited:

LynnieB

girl, you've got plenty to work with!

have you tried rollersetting w/flexirods or permrods? they're pretty easy going on your hair. i've been using the flexirods to do a sorta spiral curl that looks really good and goes well with NG and relaxed hair - it also lasts a good long time if you use a bit of setting lotion. the flexis seem to do a better job gripping and straightening the new growth than magnetics do.

if you're not anti-cone, also try adding a bit of a serum to your ng. it'll help keep moisture from reverting the ng so quickly.

swoop it - use click-clacks maybe a pretty cloth headband (will also hold your swoop in place).

you can do some twists in the front and swoop them too, hold with click-clacks or headband. do some twists in the back and use some rollers to curl the ends under.

ETA: since you described your hair as thin, try doing twists on dry or lightly damp hair.

there's a few things you can do missy ;)

hopefully you can get some of the other ladies to add some more suggestions.

Blu217

I've posted a few times about my experiences with the dermatologist and the cortisone injections--I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.

Please do some serious homework first. I've talked to several women who got the injections, as I did--and we all have deep indentations in our scalps now where the shots basically melted away the tissue. This may or may not fill back in. They can be sore. This is a major side effect of the steroid shots, and a lot of people have been disfigured (the spots are deep and are not small; they may also bald). I got Kenalog (worth a Google) and regret it. If you want to do it, I'd stick with a topical spray but first I'd ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research. I regret getting the shots.

Good luck getting back those edges!