Help! I Hate My Hair Right Now

Cincysweetie

Ladies, I haven't had an "I Hate My Hair Day" in a long time, but today is that day. It all started when I got highlights last weekend. I HATE them. They are not at all what I asked for or what I expected. They look fake and brassy. I asked for honey blonde highlights, I got copper/gold highlights. They are too bright and they don't blend with my hair at all. I HATE it and I don't know what to do about them. I want them to look more natural and to not be so bright. What do I do?!

Then today, I thought I'd experiment with a rollerset. The curls came out nicely but my hair is too big and I couldn't get all the hair smooth on the rollers so in some places it's wavy and looks nappy. I tried to smooth out my roots but it still doesn't look right. Plus it took me FOREVER to roll my hair and then it took forever and a DAY to dry.

I think I'm too the point where I'm getting unhappy with having long-ish hair because it's too much for me to control and handle on my own and I don't want to have to rely on stylists to help me control my head of hair. Grr, I'm just so frustrated and I'm seriously contemplating a cut. :ohwell:

Okay you know I had to run in here when I saw your name as the OP. Girl, I love your hair. I think we all have times when our hair just gets on our nerves. But, don't you think that would happen at any length? There are issues at all lengths and I don't think cutting it is always the best choice.

Maybe you can go back to the stylist and talk about your choices with those highlights. Maybe you can find a professional Colorist that can help, as well.

About the rollerset, your seem to turn out like all of mine have. Some of us just can't do them alone, or at least we need more practice.

Please don't let that get you down. Your hair is so pretty!!

If you have highlights a color you don't like... put a rinse on your hair in the color you want and it will make them a color you like better.

HTH

MsDee4 said:
If you have highlights a color you don't like... put a rinse on your hair in the color you want and it will make them a color you like better.

HTH

ITA, I had to do this one time when I got my hair highlighted and it was a million different colors. I just bought a rinse in the color I liked and put it on top of the highlights. This made all the colors uniform. But don't go off and cut your hair because you've had a bad hair day. You might end up regretting it a few days later. Cut only if you are 100% certain that it's what you want to do. Good Luck!

IA about the rinse. Also, highlights tend to be brighter and then 'tone' down after a while to the desired color. I've never had highlights, but I remember hearing some friends say that they were waiting for the color to tone down. I dunno. So maybe you can do the rinse thing, and over time, it will become the color you want.

And don't go cutting your gorgeous hair missy! You know I love it!

Your hair may seem like a HAM to you. But I think it is beautiful. I love big hair either relaxed or natural that air dries. WOW!!!!!

Don't cut it. I have no suggestions when it comes to your highlights but as far as you struggling with what you belive to be unmanagable hair....Please try henna mixed with water olive oil, and your favorite conditioner. No alma powder though cuz it promotes natural curls wich I think you are prob trying to avoid.

Henna helps sooo much with what some people claim is unruly hair it makes it thick, shiney, easy to work with and conditioned. It's safe to use if your hair is colored and/or relaxed.

If you don't want the red color that goes wit Henna then add indigo to it to mak it brown or do indigo after to make it black or do a nuteral henna which isn't henna but actually Cassia it doesn't add color but tames the hair really nice, makes it thick, shiney and conditioned. Have someone else apply it for you, it will be easier cuz your hair is so long.

I am new to all of this but I started Henna yesterday and I really like it and there are tons of vetrans on this board who know way more than me about henna, indigo and Cassia. Henna Sooq would be a really really great resource for info. Plus she sells the products too. Well, just an idea not sure if it will help or not. Stay strong and resist the scisors!!

:nono: DO NOT go cutting off any of that hair!! You know, my mom got some real WACK highlights once and the sun only made them brighter :eek: . She ended up going back to the salon to get them toned down. I did a henna treatment with color release on my highlights and that made them a much richer color, not red but a deeper version of what they were. I would just call a stylist and ask if a rinse will change the color of the highlights, I'm not sure how that works. If it does, that is also an option for you.

Hang in there Cincy, tomorrow will be a much better day! :p

I'm sorry Cincy you are going through this right now, we all go through times like this... but umm you betta not cut NOTHIN! :mad: :swearing:

Hi love, sorry about this. I was waiting to hear your results because I'm pending doing the same thing. I can only suggest going to see the stylist and ask her to do a "protein rinse" it will tone down the highlights, plus strengthen your hair. Let us know what happens.

Lots of hair love to you
;)

Cincy.....Did you let the stylist know you didnt care for the hightlights?? I think they should do something to help correct it. I am so sorry you are dealing with all this. Whatever you do, dont cut it please. It's just a rough patch in the road. You will overcome this. Wishing you the best.

Thanks ladies for the encouragement. I'm feeling a *little* better. The rollerset turned out halfway decent...it just took too much time and needed too much work AFTER the rollers were removed.

I still do not like the hightlights, they are TOO BRIGHT. I need to find a way to tone them down. I will give it another week and another wash and see if it has toned down/grown on me some. I took some pics, I will post asap...I'm too tired right now. Thanks again for all the comments, and I'm still contemplating a cut but not right away.

IA w/ the ladies re: a rinse.

And um, I need your address so I can come to your house and steal your scissors.

Wait 30 days before you cut. Seriously. Your hair is beautiful and a really nice length. If you REALLY want to cut, you'll still be adamant about it a month from now.

Back