Help I have a Color question.....

BronxDiva

When putting a rinse in your hair you wash is first and the apply the color to towel dry hair. After rinsing it out can you put conditioner on?

NAY007

i was wondering about the same thing numerous times. cause i always have the urge to finish with a conditioner. but usually whenever you buy a color or a rinse it says on the package that after you rinse the color you should just style as usual. i don't know why they do that.
but i am looking forward to a post from somebody who knows why??!!

NAY007

bronxdiva,

i have used different stuff. most of it were colors or rinses they sell here in germany. i also used feria before and now i have bigen hairpowder in oriental black in my hair. i think it's pretty good. but it washes out after a while although the package says it's permanent. next week when i have my touch up i will ask my stylist if she can put a rinse in my hair (it's clairol in jet black, i still have it at the house). it says that it is mild enough to put it in your hair right after relaxing. i'll see....

LondonDiva

I ALWAYS condition after any colour application to my hair. I use the Adore range which is semi perm and contains no alcohol, peroxide or ammonia it coats the hair shaft similar to the cellophane one that Tracy raves about, and with this one I condition afterwards as well. If your hair colour contains one of the above I would definitely finish off with a conditioner. I'd say to finsih off a conditioner after every hair wash no matter whether you colour, relax or just shampoo. Moisture is the key.

BronxDiva

Thanks London Diva /images/graemlins/smile.gif Nay I use to use Feria do you know if they have black dye? I use to use the reds.

Tracy

Hey people, /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The reason they say you should style as usual is for two reasons...

First the instructions are designed to help ensure that there is maximum color retention and to guard against fading. Any process (shampooing, conditioning) that will raise the cuticle that the rinse just sealed will cause some color loss. This is particularly true if heat is used in the conditioning process post color.

The other thing I think is going on is that because it's a color product and they are giving instructions on how to get the best results for coloring the hair - the other possible hair conditions a consumer might want to take into account aren't taken into account by the manufacturers of a color product.

That said - I use rinses all the time as many folks here know /images/graemlins/wink.gif and I ALWAYS both shampoo and condition my hair post color. However - I only DEEP condition BEFORE the risne goes on. So here's the process I do...

Wash, Apply Deep Conditioner with Heat, Rinse with water, Apply Color Rinse and apply heat, Rinse with water, Shampoo (only once) and Use a detangling acidfying rinse out conditioner to finish up.

Long process but I get the results I am looking for this way.

The two unexpected parts of the process - where I shampoo post color and when I condition pre color - I do this because 1) I hate color on my scalp which shampoo corrects and 2) to condition the hair and seal in the conditioning benefits with the rinse which is also conditioning the hair. It also helps in the event that a rinse product keeps out any conditioning products by sealing the cuticle.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

Where were you when I needed you????? /images/graemlins/frown.gif Thanks for the info though everything you posted makes sense. By the way I hate color on my scalp too. I will do this next year when I color again /images/graemlins/tongue.gif