Help! Is amodimethicone soluble or not??

yuhlovevybz

My CG has been going great but today my hair started feeling dry again. :( I double-checked my conditioners and realized my favorite of the bunch, Umberto moisturizing conditioner, has amodimethicone in it. I picked it up because I *thought* it was water soluble. I'm not sure if this is what's causing the dryness, my hair felt much more moisturized after I put this in it but I mean it's pretty narrowed down... I only use this and Suave..., and Honey I'm Strong hair silkener which has PEG - Dimethicone which is supposedly water soluble. I wanna know if I can remove the dryness (which feels a little like build-up) with a low-poo or if I need to clarify with a sulfate and start all over again. :(

I've researched for HOURS and still cannot figure it out. Some say yay others say nay.

I dont think it is, I just stay away from cones period. But as far as I am aware it is NOT water soluable.

Normally it will say PEG infront if it, if it really is. I duno how true this is but its what I go by. No peg, no purchase. Even them I try to stay away from em.

Found this on livecurlylivefree boards:

If you search amodimethicone, you will find quite a few sites (mine included) that include amodimethicone as a silicone that is "slightly" soluble in water as long as two additional ingredients are included in the formulation:

Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride (as a mixture in the bottle)

The assumption has always been that the inclusion of Trideceth-12 (a nonionic surfactant) and Cetrimonium Chloride (a cationic surfactant) render the amodimethicone, non-water soluble on its own, slightly soluble in water and it could be considered okay to use.

Turns out that has been a completely incorrect assumption. What the Trideceth-12 and Cetrimonium Chloride do is render the amodimethicone dispersible in water. Once the amodimethicone is deposited onto the hair shaft and dries to a film, however, it is not water-soluble and requires a surfactant to remove.

http://livecurlylivefree.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=silicones&action=display&thread=42

Last edited:
It it slightly soluble. Water alone cannot remove it but it doesn't require heavy duty surfactants either. It definitely WILL create build up eventually if you co-wash only.

Source: naturalhaven and having used Aussie Hair Insurance before.

Thanks! So what qualifies as a surfectant? Does this mean I could remove it with a low-poo, like shea moisture shampoo, or would I need a SLS shampoo?

Ugh this sucks but now I know. Another condish goes to the product bag of doom.

I think if you have a low-poo, try it and see how it goes. If it still feels the same maybe try using another shampoo. I wouldn't go as far as a clarifying shampoo though unless its absolutely needed..

I have aussie moist shampoo in my arsenal just in case, and used that when I switched to CG and had good results. Its not really harsh and it does have some moisture attributes in it, I did pre-poo before hand though.

There's different levels of harshness...sulfates are incredibly harsh but any low-poo would be fine as amodimethicone isn't as problematic as dimethicone. I was using Jessicurl Cleansing Cream with Aussi condish and I had no build up.

Oh, and the black shampoo bottle from Shea Moisture has decyl glucoside as its main surfactant so you can carry on using it. Not sure about the other colours.

Thanks again! I did some extra research... after washing my hair this morning my hair still felt sticky. Well I looked back and noted I still use shi-naturals growth oil on my scalp, which inevitably gets in my hair. It is the thick mixture that does have castor oil in it, which is not water soluble and requires a strong surfectant to remove. :( So that's why my hair had a film on it.

If amodimethicone can be removed with a low-poo then I don't think it would hurt to keep using it now that I know that that stickiness wasn't all the amodimethicone's doing. I'll probably clarify and see how my hair fairs without it before trying to throw it in the mix. Thanks again for all the help ladies. :)

Back