POLL: Do You: No Cone, Low Cone, or Yes to Cones??

Do you use silicones aka 'cones' or 'icones?'

• No, I avoid ALL silicones!

Votes: 58 12.8%
  • No and Yes, I avoid SOME silicones!

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 123 27.1%
  • Yes, but sparingly!

Votes: 88 19.4%
  • Sometimes, whenever I feel like it!

Votes: 43 9.5%
  • I don't know/care!

Votes: 89 19.6%

• Total voters

RZILYNT

I don't mind the cones since I Clarify, Moisturize, then seal with the cones. This way you know you have removed the build up and you are allowing your hair to actually receive the moisture. Otherwise you would really be waisting the moisturizing product if it can't do its job.

cutiebe2

I only try to avoid cones when CO washing becuase I heard that they prevent moisture from entering the hair and I don't want to shampoo.

mscocoface

I avoid cones like the plague. They kill my hair. It is almost as if it is being suffocated.

Have not had good success with it so I am careful with the products I use looking for that as one of the top 10 chemicals I avoid.

thiccknlong

HoneyDew said:
I clarify each time, as well.

When I don't my hair is so gross afterwards.

I tried to skip the clarifying step a few days ago and I could tell that even my leave-in was not penetrating the way it does normally does.

My hair never dries out from clarfying everytime. I use either CON clarifying (burns my eyes though!), Kenra Clarifying (my fav) or Keracare 1st later. My hair never dries out and my no-cone/pre-cone leave-in always penetrates fully.

of which of those clarifying shampoos have the most slip or tangles the least ?

ToyToy

I like cones. Not too much, of course, but my hair does much better with cones than without. I shampoo weekly and clarify once a month. I haven't had any problems retaining moisture.

Brownie518

Love the cones! Since I have been taking better care of my hair (more moisture, especially), my hair loves products with cones. They no longer dry me out.

sareca

I'm a low-poo co-washer so I gotta watch for anything that builds up. I use cones, but only water soluable ones.

Neroli said:
Thanks! I thought "Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone & Dimethicone" were all NOT water soluble?

I get the 100% pure dimethicone copoyol (a/k/a Wacker-Belsil DMC 6038) at www.ingredientstodiefor.com ($3.50 for 1oz or $14.50 for 8oz). I don't REALLY make my own serum, I just mix a few drops of the dimethicone copolyol with a few drops of caster oil in my hand, rub together and apply to freshly washed hair on top of my leave in. . .
My hair loves dimethicone copoyol! I never even thought about making my own serum. :think:

Last edited:

Missi

I'm no to cones: they tend to weigh my hair down: I learned from glossyxlips that too much products won't let ur hair swang and feel light: and she is right: i learned the hard way: but I would only use a cone: for shine & smooth appearance if I have something to go to thats important: but i'll wash it out as soon as possible.

adrienne0914

cones are a must for me, especially when i wear my hair straight. they help to eliminate static which causes alot of breakage.

hOnii

i love & need my cones!! I tried out that Giovanni direct leave-in after washing my hair, and for the first time ever my hair was a hard, matted mess! I started getting kinda scared cause it was pretty hard to comb and I was losing more hair than I would have otherwise, so I ran to my infusium to get that slip back! Never again...

turnergirl

I use one main product with cones in it. The Cantu Shea Butter Leave in. Since I use it, I rinse my hair for extended amounts of time and I am sure to clarify whether it be with shampoo or ACV or Baking soda. I avoid cones for the most part because after a couple of days my hair will feel extra dry and crunchy when there are lots of cones in it.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Well I was "coning" and didin't know it! :lachen:
It's been working well for me so far, so I guess I'll keep using them.

preciousjewel76

Lavendar said:
I love how they make my hair look initially, but after a day or two my hair is dry as a dog bone. So, I have to avoid cones as much as possible.:(

Yep, I'm learning the same thing.:( I'm going totally no-cone, unless I need to flatiron. I don't use many cones anyway, but I'm getting rid of my deep conditioners that have cones in them for this reason.

schipperchow1

I minimize cone use. Last year, when I noticed that my hair was extremely dry, I realized that most of my leave in products contained cones, so I became extreme & stopped using anything that had cones & began my PJ problem. I use some conditioners with cones & sometimes use a light leave in with cones only when I've flat ironed or straightened my hair.

Daisimae

I use them. I know I used them and a lot of other stuff I didn't know was bad, when I grew my hair out before. I'm expecting better and faster results this time, because I've learned to clarify once a week.

thiccknlong

i'm sorry but cones are a life saver for me.

they help me comb my hair out....keep more hair on my head...help my hair grow by helping with tangling tremendously...save time ....i can't imagine a world without cones man...

justNikki

Like another poster, when I'm going to straighten my hair, I don't really care how many cones are in the product, that's what I prefer, to have a lot of cones (I'm natural with coily/curly hair).

On the regular/daily basis...when it comes to modified cones, I'll use those whenever and my hair loves amodimethicone (which isn't water soluble, but can be removed by co-washing).

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
My hair looooves cones, and acts a plum fool when I don't use them. I've tried a bunch of conditioners without cones and every time my hair was like ''Uh, trick, whatchu think you doin? Oh, you don't wanna use cones, huh? Alright, I'll show you. I'm gonna get so dry, matted and tangled, you're gonna want to cut me off! That'll show you!'' :mad:

So yeah, I gotta use cones or my hair will be mad at me :lol:

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

I voted no b/c I only use 1 product w/cones & that is my Chi Silk Infusion & since I'm on the LHCF bootcamp challenge, I'll only be using it 4 times this year when I use my free pass to straighten.
Wait, I lied - I have some self-heating oil that has 1 cone in it & I just discovered it so I'm going to use it up & not buy any more.

nappity

I love cones- the only drawback is that after a few days my ends feel dry. So I just wash my hair with some ACV. I don't like to do that too often cause it burns like heck when I get it in my eye!

fivetimestwo

I use them sparingly. I have shampoos and conditioners that have them in there, but I don't feel that's a big deal b/c it's something I will be rinsing out of my hair. But I do tend to avoid leave-ins that have cones in them. However, if I'm going to straighten, I use serums with cones (heck, I don't think there's a such thing as a serum WITHOUT cones :lachen:) because I'm natural and for some reason, cones are the only things that fight reversion :ohwell: