Help me choose between Sedu or Chi

queenofmean68

Okay,

I need a little help. I have fine hair that is prone to tangling....I usually wear my hair bone straight & wrapped. I need a better flat iron. I need one that will NOT snag my hair and will not take EXTREME heat to give me straight, smooth, shiny hair. Preferably one with rounded plates & edges.

Which one....Sedu or Chi?

Ohhh I'm glad you asked this question. I am looking for the same thing.

I have a CHI but a few months ago, I bought a Sedu to try it. The Sedu is better for people with fine hair because it straightens without making the hair flat. The CHI,on the other hand, makes the hair shinier when straight. Another difference is that when the plates of the Sedu heat up, the surrounding metal heats up too, so you can't really grip the flat surface to really get at the hair. However, I found that it didn't really make a difference in how well the iron straightened. So, if I were you, I would get a Sedu for several reasons...1. It straightens w/o flattening; 2. The Sedu is also tourmaine plated, so it will keep more moisture in the hair; 3. It is cheaper than a CHI(usually); 4. It has hundreds of reviews on folica.com; 5. Folica delivers mega fast and the Sedu is cheaper from there than a CHI; and 6. Many people who use the CHI say that the iron does not have lasting power, so I think I'd feel safer with a Sedu. By the way, when I tried the sedu, my hair was natural 4a/medium to fine and dense, but it straightened relatively well. I could get it really straight by running a pressing comb through the hair once with low heat and then flat ironing. But then again, I didn't use high heat on either implement. HTH

I recommend the Sedu, I have one myself. It has/does everything that you mentioned.
queenofmean68 said:
I need one that will NOT snag my hair and will not take EXTREME heat to give me straight, smooth, shiny hair. Preferably one with rounded plates & edges.
It does a spectacular job every time. I lent it to my friends and they have also fell in love with it. If you want more help in your decision read the reviews at Folica.

I have the sedu. I'd highly recommend it. My fiance got me my sedu flatiron for valentines day. :D she's right when she says the whole surface heats up so you cant really grip it ot make your hair flat. but it straightens well on low heat. The only thing i don't like about it, is that i bought the smaller sized plate and it's hard for me to curve it so that the flatiron will 'bump' my hair's ends. sometimes it produces a very sharp curl on the end of my hair. i guess i just gotta learn how to 'curve' it correctly.

Sedu all the way baby. Makes my hair so silky and shiny and not brittle at all. I believe the tourmaline/ceramic has a lot to do with keeping moisture in the hair to keep your hair from becoming dry and brittle like other heating devices. The Chi will fry your hair if not used properly and will burn out and stop working after a few months. So I say go with Sedu. HTH

Thanks ladies!

So, just to make sure I understand....I will NOT be able to touch the surface "outside" of the plates....for example, making sure my hair is clamped between the ceramic plates tightly. Right??

And the CHI quits working??????? Are you serious??? For all that money the dayum thing should have at LEAST a good warranty! I've had this Gold N Hot for....um....at least 3 or 4 years now.

Oh, I have another quick question.....can I still apply serum (like silken seal liquid sheen) to my hair before I straighten? Will products like this cause any build up on the plates or damage them?

You can still use your silk and seal while using the Ceramic iron...but be very careful not to apply too much, because for some reason, I always felt like when you apply grease or oil to the hair prior to heat, it only made the iron hotter, which would then make the hair very hot. You may want to try using the ceramic iron first and then use a little bit of the serum for flyaways. You may find you won't need the serum before the heat afterall, because the Sedu will make your hair very smooth and silky on its own. HTH

I was reading some of the comments on the Sedu on Folica.com. There are so many. I think I will go with the Sedu

Thanks for the advice!

dreamgurl said:
You can still use your silk and seal while using the Ceramic iron...but be very careful not to apply too much, because for some reason, I always felt like when you apply grease or oil to the hair prior to heat, it only made the iron hotter, which would then make the hair very hot. You may want to try using the ceramic iron first and then use a little bit of the serum for flyaways. You may find you won't need the serum before the heat afterall, because the Sedu will make your hair very smooth and silky on its own. HTH

I have to recommend the Sedu -- although I have never had a CHI -- I have a Sedu and I love it. HTH

Those who have a Sedu...are the 2 plates perfectly even? Mines is slightly uneven so i have to squeeze in order for the 2 plates to meet eachother..... I was disappointed being that it costs so much. but other than that, it's a great iron and it gets my hair straight.

Mizani_Mrs said:
The only thing i don't like about it, is that i bought the smaller sized plate and it's hard for me to curve it so that the flatiron will 'bump' my hair's ends. sometimes it produces a very sharp curl on the end of my hair. i guess i just gotta learn how to 'curve' it correctly.

Yeah, that does take practice... I've gotten a lot better with it, but I get an occasional "hook".

Back