Sedu, Chi, or Solia??? I need to buy one help me choose!!! Videos inside:)

cdixon

I'm thinkin about buying a chi, solia, maxiglide, or a sedu. I don't know which one to get after looking at numerous opinions I'm thinkin about the sedu, but I would like you guys opinion. Also have you ever curled your hair like this using the flat iron? If so can you give directions or just follow the video. Also what is the best heat protectant for the hair when flat ironing?

Sedu - they say it gets your fingers too hot when trying to curl
Chi - they say doesn't last that long and hair looks dry
Solia - Hair may look dry after curling
Maxiglide - hair may get pulled out with using the comb attachment and may be too big to make curls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k57daS_c_yI&feature=related (Sedu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3k1syt2G4 (Chi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWscTQm6LUE (Solia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV3Kw-dvbHM&feature=related (Maxiglide)

I have a Sedu iron that I bought specifically to straighten my younger sister and niece's hair. It works very well. I think Sedu is one of the better products. (But then again, I'm bias becuz I have one). I've had mine close to two years now.

Go to folica.com and read the reviews w/ the before & after pics - it'll definitely provide you w/ more insight.

Btw. all three - don't get the Solia. It's the cheaper of the bunch. Chi is an excellent product but like I said - check out folica. Both irons are made by Japanese companies I believe.

Hope that was helpful.

:grin: HI, I've had a solia for about 3 years, it broke and I bought another solia because I love it so much. I always get compliments. I know you've seen all the reviews on folica.com That's what I went by when I was searching. Well, if I had to purchase again I would try the sedu because there are so many rave reviews about it. So if you decide on the solia, beware of the high temperatures, even if you have thick resistant hair. I used mine on the top temp of 450 for 3 years, now I am down to 300, and I get the same results, just no fried ends. Whatever you decide, you will be pleased because I believe your choices are all excellent ones.

Thanks guys for all of your input, I wanted you to watch the videos to see if you've ever created the spiral type curl when using either curling iron, I don't think I'm going to get a maxiglide because my hair is not extremely thick, so I'm leaning towards the Sedu.

Last edited:
I have the Sedu - the solia and the maxiglide original - I know - DON'T ask.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyhoo.... I have different expereinces with each......

the maxiglide heats up to 430 degrees..... I have natural hair - and I want to SWANG while it it straight - I have only accomplished that a few times - but I digress.

I have only used it in conjuction with Beyond Straight and the End - the 2 products that come with the maxi - I love that stuff - but it has never taken off on the hair boards. OH Well... more for me. I don't have major reversion with this stuff.

The Sedu - is a great iron. It heats up to 410 degrees...
It straightens nicely - BUT it gets too hot for fingers.... ouch.... I have used this After using my Maxiglide.... I have used Noodle head turn up the heat - and that stuff is pretty good....

The solia - Heats up to 450 degrees. I thought this would be too much heat for my hair.... My hair reverted Almost immediately even after using the Maxius products I mentioned above.....I was Ready to Toss it

However....I tried the Sabino Moisture Block (this stuff is getting raves) and OHMY GOD. My world has changed. I won't give up my Solia at all.

In Fact I will be doing an experiment - Heading to a steam room after using moisture Block.
That for sure is the Best Serum EVER. And becaseu I needed high heat - without damage, I needed this iron.

So there you have it,
HTH:lick:

honey, lemme tell you...if you want a good iron, that will straighten both your relaxed and natural hair AND blends NG well...you need to get a Chi.

i've tried three. the chi i used didn't have temp control, but my hair felt like silk after using it. i'm not sure how the chi's with temp control perform.

the sedu got very hot, and burned my fingers when I would try to curl my hair with it. (on the lowest heat setting) if you will be using it just to straighten your hair, it should be fine. however, i did get the feeling that it was damaging my hair. there would frequently be hair in the flat iron and it concerned me. the curls would come out kind of square-like, b/c of the design of the plates. (if you get the new sedu that should be eliminated).

the solia i love. it is just perfect for my relaxed hair, especially since I like to curl my hair. it doesn't burn me. it never pulls or breaks my hair, and is easy to maneuver.

i returned my sedu for a solia and haven't looked back! :)

Last edited:
Yesterday I returned my CHI for a 1.5" Sedu because I thought it would be easier to bump my ends. I still can't do it and my ends always end up looking box-like. I played with Sedu last night and like it so far but it does get hot and I think I might wear a glove next time as I continue to try and figure out how to "bump" my ends.

i think it depends on whether you are relaxed or natural, first of all, but being that i have only tried them on my natural hair i can only give that opinion.

i tried my friend's chi on a small section of my hair before i bought an "ultra chi" from ulta (it had the temp control and came with a little pouch). my first thought was "oh my hair looks like it does when i flat iron it with my cheap andis iron", but it felt healthier. i then read the reviews on folica.com and on here and returned the $119 chi iron for the $88 solia. i must say i am happy with my decision (took way less passes to straighten; i still think i am using too high of a temp - 375 or so?) and i would recommend this one. hopefully when i next use it (since i have only used it once) i can apply these moisture block samples and come back typing a post with all exclamation points or something b/c it works so well. lol

I use flat irons on customers every day. You are better off using a solia or sedu. Chi is ok for some but it pulls and ALOT of people on folica and in general have had problems with the flat iron lasting longer than a year. .I have had my sedu for almost 3 years.

Last edited:
Yesterday I returned my CHI for a 1.5" Sedu because I thought it would be easier to bump my ends. I still can't do it and my ends always end up looking box-like. I played with Sedu last night and like it so far but it does get hot and I think I might wear a glove next time as I continue to try and figure out how to "bump" my ends.

1.5 is too big to bump your ends go with a 1" at the biggest. I am going for the 3/4 inch solia only b/c its cheaper (and smaller) than the 1" sedu and I need a flat iron to do thermal perms.

I LOOOVE MY SEDU!!!!!!!!!

I got a Maxiglide first which I haven't touched since I got my sedu. Those teeth DO pull your hair out. I was natural when I got it and it was the only thing that got my natural hair straight. The flat plates didnt do jack for me. I later got a Sedu cause like I said the Maxi DOES pull your hair out. I'm texlaxed now but I'm SURE the Sedu would still do the job if I was still natural AND using a lower temperature. I've never lost a hair with my Sedu. But I can't 'curl' with either one. I use rollers for that.

Last edited:
1.5 is too big to bump your ends go with a 1" at the biggest. I am going for the 3/4 inch solia only b/c its cheaper (and smaller) than the 1" sedu and I need a flat iron to do thermal perms.

Thanks ladies, so do you think that I will be able to curl my ends with a 1" sedu? I love the solia too because it's pink and rounded, I'm thinking about getting it for that reason, but I don't want it to pull my hair, and plus I just hope that the plates don't get too hot, I'm still searching....

Thanks ladies, so do you think that I will be able to curl my ends with a 1" sedu? I love the solia too because it's pink and rounded, I'm thinking about getting it for that reason, but I don't want it to pull my hair, and plus I just hope that the plates don't get too hot, I'm still searching....

guess that means you are no longer considering the CHI...*hmph*

:)

I'm having the same problem. I have the Maxi but I've only used it 3 1/4 times (the first time I tried it with the little teeth but it was pulling my hair out so I didn't finish). The other 3 times I noticed that the square edges were pulling and breaking my hair off. Now I'm basically using my curling iron to straighten my hair. I don't want to spend all that money again for something that I won't use because it breaks my hair. I also want something that will give me the silky, bouncy hair (not stiff). My hair is very fine and fragile so I don't think it needs to get extremely hot and I don't want to cause damage.

No, I'm no longer considering the chi at this point, since the sedu and solia sound great, I'm still confused, I don't know????:wallbash:

Yes, it is frustrating! Well, good luck. I don't think that you will make a bad choice which ever way you decide...however, :imo: the CHI is still the BEST! :smirk:

I must add that I purchased a solia a few weeks back, earlier this month to be exact. Before then I had a Jilbere from sallys and It worked great except the burning smell when It was on the highest setting. But for the solia, I had to go over each section atleast twice and the next day my hair would get frizzy. I though it may have just been that one time, but I've used it twice since then and most recently tuesday. Yesterday my hair was frizzy where I had to go over it with the curling iron but today it's frizzy again. Needless to say I sent it back. I never had this problem with my Jilbere. So my next purchase will most likely be the sedu.

I must add that I purchased a solia a few weeks back, earlier this month to be exact. Before then I had a Jilbere from sallys and It worked great except the burning smell when It was on the highest setting. But for the solia, I had to go over each section atleast twice and the next day my hair would get frizzy. I though it may have just been that one time, but I've used it twice since then and most recently tuesday. Yesterday my hair was frizzy where I had to go over it with the curling iron but today it's frizzy again. Needless to say I sent it back. I never had this problem with my Jilbere. So my next purchase will most likely be the sedu.

Thanks for this, this is exactly what I was looking for I heard that the Sedu makes your hair last for a while, so needless to say I think I'm going with the SEDU!!! 1 inch or 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 whichever one

I have used both the chi (original and turbo) and the solia. I loved the chi when it first came out and then I fell in love with the solia, but the solia does not have that little "lip" protecting the iron from the scalp. So if you are natural or relaxed but love to get your roots, the solia may not be a good choice. I had scabs all in my scalp. Also, 450 is way too hot, 384 is a great temp to get a bone straight look without damage.

My favorite iron of all time is the GHD!

Back